N P Shah
Affiliation: The University of Hong Kong
- Chen X, Wu X, Gan M, Xu F, He L, Yang D, et al. Rapid detection of Staphylococcus aureus in dairy and meat foods by combination of capture with silica-coated magnetic nanoparticles and thermophilic helicase-dependent isothermal amplification. J Dairy Sci. 2015;98:1563-70 pubmed publisher..aureus and applied potentially to the food industry for the detection of this pathogen. ..
- Li S, Shah N. Effects of Pleurotus eryngii polysaccharides on bacterial growth, texture properties, proteolytic capacity, and angiotensin-I-converting enzyme-inhibitory activities of fermented milk. J Dairy Sci. 2015;98:2949-61 pubmed publisher..Firmness and gumminess values of FM with added PEPS were higher than those of FM fermented by ST 1303 or ST 1275 without PEPS. ..
- Deng K, Chen T, Wu Q, Xin H, Wei Q, Hu P, et al. In vitro and in vivo examination of anticolonization of pathogens by Lactobacillus paracasei FJ861111.1. J Dairy Sci. 2015;98:6759-66 pubmed publisher..albicans to the intestines of mice post-C. albicans infection. Thus, it appears that this strain could be used as a probiotic organism for manufacturing functional fermented milk. ..
- Ayyash M, Sherkat F, Shah N. The effect of NaCl substitution with KCl on Akawi cheese: chemical composition, proteolysis, angiotensin-converting enzyme-inhibitory activity, probiotic survival, texture profile, and sensory properties. J Dairy Sci. 2012;95:4747-4759 pubmed publisher..No significant differences existed in sensory attributes, including creaminess, bitterness, saltiness, sour-acid, and vinegar taste among experimental Akawi cheeses at the same storage period. ..
- Li S, Shah N. Characterization, antioxidative and bifidogenic effects of polysaccharides from Pleurotus eryngii after heat treatments. Food Chem. 2016;197:240-9 pubmed publisher..01) than those without polysaccharides during fermentation. Heat treatments applied before extraction affected the properties, composition and microstructures of FDPEPS, ODPEPS and BTPEPS. ..
- Pan M, Wan C, Xie Q, Huang R, Tao X, Shah N, et al. Changes in gastric microbiota induced by Helicobacter pylori infection and preventive effects of Lactobacillus plantarum ZDY 2013 against such infection. J Dairy Sci. 2016;99:970-981 pubmed publisher..pylori infection. ..
- Gandhi A, Shah N. Effect of salt stress on morphology and membrane composition of Lactobacillus acidophilus, Lactobacillus casei, and Bifidobacterium bifidum, and their adhesion to human intestinal epithelial-like Caco-2 cells. J Dairy Sci. 2016;99:2594-2605 pubmed publisher..The findings provide insights into bacterial membrane damage caused by NaCl. ..
- Dai S, Corke H, Shah N. Utilization of konjac glucomannan as a fat replacer in low-fat and skimmed yogurt. J Dairy Sci. 2016;99:7063-7074 pubmed publisher..Results indicated that KGM may be a good fat replacer to develop reduced-fat yogurts with desired characteristics. ..
- Yang D, Yu X, Wu Y, Chen X, Wei H, Shah N, et al. Enhancing flora balance in the gastrointestinal tract of mice by lactic acid bacteria from Chinese sourdough and enzyme activities indicative of metabolism of protein, fat, and carbohydrate by the flora. J Dairy Sci. 2016;99:7809-7820 pubmed publisher
- Zhao D, Shah N. Concomitant ingestion of lactic acid bacteria and black tea synergistically enhances flavonoid bioavailability and attenuates d-galactose-induced oxidative stress in mice via modulating glutathione antioxidant system. J Nutr Biochem. 2016;38:116-124 pubmed publisher..The synergistic antioxidant efficacy of LAB-BT diet implied its therapeutic potential in enhancing antioxidant defenses and protecting organisms from oxidative damage. ..
- Wu Q, Shah N. The potential of species-specific tagatose-6-phosphate (T6P) pathway in Lactobacillus casei group for galactose reduction in fermented dairy foods. Food Microbiol. 2017;62:178-187 pubmed publisher..Overall, the present study highlighted the potential of Lb. casei group for reducing galactose accumulation in fermented milks due to its species-specific T6P pathway. ..
- Li S, Shah N. Sulphonated modification of polysaccharides from Pleurotus eryngii and Streptococcus thermophilus ASCC 1275 and antioxidant activities investigation using CCD and Caco-2 cell line models. Food Chem. 2017;225:246-257 pubmed publisher..Results indicated that sulphonation was effective in improving antioxidant activities of both PEPS and EPS. ..
- Al Dhaheri A, Al Hemeiri R, Kizhakkayil J, Al Nabulsi A, Abushelaibi A, Shah N, et al. Health-promoting benefits of low-fat akawi cheese made by exopolysaccharide-producing probiotic Lactobacillus plantarum isolated from camel milk. J Dairy Sci. 2017;100:7771-7779 pubmed publisher..Therefore, incorporation of these cultures in food is promising for commercial uses. ..
- Wu Q, Shah N. Restoration of GABA production machinery in Lactobacillus brevis by accessible carbohydrates, anaerobiosis and early acidification. Food Microbiol. 2018;69:151-158 pubmed publisher..brevis could be restored by accessible carbohydrates, anaerobiosis and early acidification. This will be of interest for controlling fermentation for synthesis of GABA and manufacturing GABA-rich fermented vegetables. ..
- Li S, Huang R, Shah N, Tao X, Xiong Y, Wei H. Antioxidant and antibacterial activities of exopolysaccharides from Bifidobacterium bifidum WBIN03 and Lactobacillus plantarum R315. J Dairy Sci. 2014;97:7334-43 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, both EPS have antimicrobial and antioxidant activities and could have applications in the food industry. ..
- Yang D, Wu X, Yu X, He L, Shah N, Xu F. Mutual growth-promoting effect between Bifidobacterium bifidum WBBI03 and Listeria monocytogenes CMCC 54001. J Dairy Sci. 2017;100:3448-3462 pubmed publisher..bifidum WBBI03 and L. monocytogenes CMCC 54001. One aspect of the biological significance of their presence in the normal intestine may be that the opportunistic pathogens promote the growth of the probiotics. ..