Sai Yin Ho
Affiliation: The University of Hong Kong
- Huang R, Ho S, Lo W, Lam T. Assessment of weight-related factors of adolescents by private practitioners. BMC Fam Pract. 2013;14:141 pubmed publisher..Weight-related factors in adolescents were infrequently assessed by private practitioners in Hong Kong. Generally, unhealthy weight, higher parental education and advice-seeking by adolescents predicted these assessments. ..
- Chen J, Ho S, Wang M, Lam T. Reactions to Thirdhand Smoke are Associated with Openness to Smoking in Young Never Smoking Children. J Community Health. 2016;41:461-7 pubmed publisher..Negative and positive reactions to THS were negatively and positively associated with openness to smoking, respectively, in young never smoking children. ..
- Lin J, Jiang C, Ho S, Zhang W, Mai Z, Xu L, et al. Smoking and nasopharyngeal carcinoma mortality: a cohort study of 101,823 adults in Guangzhou, China. BMC Cancer. 2015;15:906 pubmed publisher..Our results support that smoking is one of the risk factors likely to be causally associated with NPC mortality. ..
- Chen J, Ho S, Au W, Wang M, Lam T. Family Smoking, Exposure to Secondhand Smoke at Home and Family Unhappiness in Children. Int J Environ Res Public Health. 2015;12:14557-70 pubmed publisher..37; 95% confidence interval 1.51-3.71) and SHS exposure at home (1.82; 1.39-2.40). These results suggest a previously neglected possible impact of tobacco use on family happiness. ..
- Jiang N, Ho S, Wang M, Leung L, Lam T. Waterpipe smoking among secondary school students in Hong Kong. Int J Public Health. 2016;61:427-34 pubmed publisher..Despite the low prevalence, it should be routinely monitored. Education programs and cessation interventions need to address waterpipe smoking in addition to cigarette smoking. ..
- Jiang N, Ho S, Wang M, Leung L, Lam T. The relationship of waterpipe use with cigarette smoking susceptibility and nicotine dependence: A cross-sectional study among Hong Kong adolescents. Addict Behav. 2017;64:123-128 pubmed publisher..Educational programs need to inform youth about the harmful and addictive effects of waterpipe smoking. Public health campaigns deglamourizing waterpipe use may help reduce waterpipe smoking among youth. ..
- Leung L, Ho S, Wang M, Lam T. Secondhand Smoke From Multiple Sources, Thirdhand Smoke and Respiratory Symptoms in Hong Kong Adolescents. Nicotine Tob Res. 2016;: pubmed..Tobacco control measures effective in reducing smoking prevalence may have little effect in reducing adolescent exposure to tobacco smoke, especially in the private home, in which other public health strategies are urgently needed. ..
- Leung L, Ho S, Chen J, Wang M, Lam T. Favourable Perceptions of Electronic Cigarettes Relative to Cigarettes and the Associations with Susceptibility to Electronic Cigarette Use in Hong Kong Chinese Adolescents. Int J Environ Res Public Health. 2018;15: pubmed publisher..001). Our findings inform strategies to reduce unwarranted favourable perceptions and prevent adolescent EC use. ..
- Mai Z, Ho S, Wang M, Ho L, Lam T. Living with Smoker(s) and Smoking Cessation in Chinese Adult Smokers: Cross-Sectional and Prospective Evidence from Hong Kong Population Health Survey. Int J Environ Res Public Health. 2018;15: pubmed publisher..To boost quit rate in nonusers of smoking cessation services, smoking at home should be banned, especially for populations living in crowed urban environments that are typical of economically developed cities in China. ..
- Chen J, Ho S, Wang M, Lam T. Parental smoking, rejection of parental smoking, and smoking susceptibility and behaviors in Hong Kong adolescents. Addict Behav. 2018;82:19-22 pubmed publisher..While adolescent smoking was associated with parental smoking, especially in those who accepted parental smoking, the association was attenuated or reversed in those who rejected parental smoking. ..
- Jiang N, Wang M, Ho S, Leung L, Lam T. Electronic cigarette use among adolescents: a cross-sectional study in Hong Kong. BMC Public Health. 2016;16:202 pubmed publisher..Tobacco cessation programs should also address alcohol use collectively. Policies prohibiting e-cigarette sales to minors may help prevent e-cigarette uptake among adolescents. ..
- Huang R, Ho S, Wang M, Lo W, Lam T. Reported alcohol drinking and mental health problems in Hong Kong Chinese adolescents. Drug Alcohol Depend. 2016;164:47-54 pubmed publisher..Prospective studies are warranted to explore the causality between alcohol drinking and mental health problems. ..
- Ho S, Wong B, Lo W, Mak K, Thomas G, Lam T. Neighbourhood food environment and dietary intakes in adolescents: sex and perceived family affluence as moderators. Int J Pediatr Obes. 2010;5:420-7 pubmed publisher..Perceived availability of neighbourhood fast-food shops, restaurants, and convenience stores may have a negative impact on adolescent dietary intakes particularly for those from poorer families. ..
- Cheung Y, Wang M, Ho S, Jiang N, Kwong A, Lai V, et al. Public Support for Electronic Cigarette Regulation in Hong Kong: A Population-Based Cross-Sectional Study. Int J Environ Res Public Health. 2017;14: pubmed publisher..Current stringent measures on tobacco and e-cigarettes, and media reports on the harmfulness of e-cigarettes may underpin the strong support for the regulation. ..