Genomes and Genes
Affiliation: The University of Hong Kong
- Tsang C, Cheung K, Cheung Y, Man K, Lui V, Tsao S, et al. Berberine suppresses Id-1 expression and inhibits the growth and development of lung metastases in hepatocellular carcinoma. Biochim Biophys Acta. 2015;1852:541-51 pubmed publisher..Lastly, berberine's anti-proliferative and anti-invasive activities could be partially rescued by Id-1 overexpression in HCC models, revealing a novel anti-cancer/anti-invasive mechanism of berberine via Id-1 suppression. ..
- Wang N, Feng Y, Cheung F, Wang X, Zhang Z, Feng Y. A Chinese medicine formula Gegen Qinlian decoction suppresses expansion of human renal carcinoma with inhibition of matrix metalloproteinase-2. Integr Cancer Ther. 2015;14:75-85 pubmed publisher..The findings of this study provide experimental evidence of the inhibition of expansion and neoangiogenesis of renal carcinoma by Chinese medicine formula GQLD with involvement of MMP-2 suppression. ..
- Wang N, Tan H, Li L, Yuen M, Feng Y. Berberine and Coptidis Rhizoma as potential anticancer agents: Recent updates and future perspectives. J Ethnopharmacol. 2015;176:35-48 pubmed publisher..Although more evidences on its specificity and clinical efficacy are necessary to support its clinical use, Coptidis Rhizoma and berberine are highly expected to be effective, safe and affordable treatments for cancer patients. ..
- Feng Y, Cheung K, Wang N, Liu P, Nagamatsu T, Tong Y. Chinese medicines as a resource for liver fibrosis treatment. Chin Med. 2009;4:16 pubmed publisher..Further experiments and clinical trials should be carried out on the platforms that conform to international standards. ..
- Tan H, Wang N, Takahashi M, Feng Y, Li H, Feng Y. New Natural Pigment Fraction Isolated from Saw Palmetto: Potential for Adjuvant Therapy of Hepatocellular Carcinoma. Int J Mol Sci. 2016;17: pubmed publisher..NYG suppressed tumor expansion of HCC via inhibiting neovascularization, and may be potential adjuvant treatment for HCC. ..
- Wang X, Wang N, Li H, Liu M, Cao F, Yu X, et al. Up-Regulation of PAI-1 and Down-Regulation of uPA Are Involved in Suppression of Invasiveness and Motility of Hepatocellular Carcinoma Cells by a Natural Compound Berberine. Int J Mol Sci. 2016;17:577 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, our findings identified for the first time that inactivation of uPA receptor by up-regulation of PAI-1 and down-regulation of uPA is involved in the inhibitory effect of berberine on HCC cell invasion and migration. ..
- Lan J, Wang N, Huang L, Liu Y, Ma X, Lou H, et al. Design and synthesis of novel tetrandrine derivatives as potential anti-tumor agents against human hepatocellular carcinoma. Eur J Med Chem. 2017;127:554-566 pubmed publisher..Our results suggest that compound 31, a new 14-position substituted amide tetrandrine derivative, might be a potential candidate for developing novel anti-HCC drugs in the coming future. ..
- Wang N, Wang X, Tan H, Li S, Tsang C, Tsao S, et al. Berberine Suppresses Cyclin D1 Expression through Proteasomal Degradation in Human Hepatoma Cells. Int J Mol Sci. 2016;17: pubmed..Our results shed light on berberine's potential as an anti-tumor agent for clinical cancer therapy. ..
- Hong M, Tan H, Li S, Cheung F, Wang N, Nagamatsu T, et al. Cancer Stem Cells: The Potential Targets of Chinese Medicines and Their Active Compounds. Int J Mol Sci. 2016;17: pubmed publisher..However, further studies are needed to clarify the potential of clinical application of CMs and their active compounds as complementary and alternative therapy in this field. ..
- Zhang C, Xu Y, Tan H, Li S, Wang N, Zhang Y, et al. Neuroprotective effect of He-Ying-Qing-Re formula on retinal ganglion cell in diabetic retinopathy. J Ethnopharmacol. 2018;214:179-189 pubmed publisher..HF administration was a valid therapeutic approach for DR treatment, oriented at the blockade of endoplasmic reticulum- and mitochondria-dependent oxidative stress-induced retinal neurodegeneration including RGC apoptosis. ..
- Tan H, Wang N, Lam W, Guo W, Feng Y, Cheng Y. Targeting tumour microenvironment by tyrosine kinase inhibitor. Mol Cancer. 2018;17:43 pubmed publisher..At last, the combination use of current TKIs with immunotherapy in the perspectives of efficacy and safety are discussed. ..
- Li H, Wang X, Liu Y, Pan D, Wang Y, Yang N, et al. Hepatoprotection and hepatotoxicity of Heshouwu, a Chinese medicinal herb: Context of the paradoxical effect. Food Chem Toxicol. 2017;108:407-418 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, Heshouwu exhibited both hepatoprotection and hepatotoxicity. It is essential to evaluate the advantages and disadvantages when Heshouwu is in clinical use. ..
- Lam P, Cheung F, Tan H, Wang N, Yuen M, Feng Y. Hepatoprotective Effects of Chinese Medicinal Herbs: A Focus on Anti-Inflammatory and Anti-Oxidative Activities. Int J Mol Sci. 2016;17:465 pubmed publisher..This review aims to provide new insight into how Chinese medicinal herbs work in therapeutic strategies for liver diseases. ..
- Feng Y, Siu K, Ye X, Wang N, Yuen M, Leung C, et al. Hepatoprotective effects of berberine on carbon tetrachloride-induced acute hepatotoxicity in rats. Chin Med. 2010;5:33 pubmed publisher..Berberine should have potential for developing a new drug to treat liver toxicity. ..
- Tsang C, Cheung Y, Lui V, Yip Y, Zhang G, Lin V, et al. Berberine suppresses tumorigenicity and growth of nasopharyngeal carcinoma cells by inhibiting STAT3 activation induced by tumor associated fibroblasts. BMC Cancer. 2013;13:619 pubmed publisher..The effective inhibition of STAT3 activation in NPC cells by berberine supports its potential use in the treatment of NPC. ..
- Hong M, Li S, Tan H, Cheung F, Wang N, Huang J, et al. A Network-Based Pharmacology Study of the Herb-Induced Liver Injury Potential of Traditional Hepatoprotective Chinese Herbal Medicines. Molecules. 2017;22: pubmed publisher..Based on the theoretical predictions, further experimental verification should be performed to validate the accuracy of the predicted interactions between herbal ingredients and protein targets in the future. ..
- Hong M, Zhang Y, Li S, Tan H, Wang N, Mu S, et al. A Network Pharmacology-Based Study on the Hepatoprotective Effect of Fructus Schisandrae. Molecules. 2017;22: pubmed publisher..The network pharmacology strategy used provides a forceful tool for searching the action mechanism of traditional herbal medicines and novel bioactive ingredients. ..
- Wang N, Zhu M, Tsao S, Man K, Zhang Z, Feng Y. MiR-23a-mediated inhibition of topoisomerase 1 expression potentiates cell response to etoposide in human hepatocellular carcinoma. Mol Cancer. 2013;12:119 pubmed publisher..Up-regulation of p53 induces mir-23a expression, while suppression of p53 inhibits miR-23a in HCC cells. Our study sheds light on the role of miR-23a as a potential target in regulating chemosensitivity of HCC cells. ..
- Wang N, Feng Y, Zhu M, Siu F, Ng K, Che C. A novel mechanism of XIAP degradation induced by timosaponin AIII in hepatocellular carcinoma. Biochim Biophys Acta. 2013;1833:2890-2899 pubmed publisher..Timosaponin AIII induces HCC cell apoptosis through a p53-independent mechanism involving XIAP degradation through autophagy-lysosomal pathway. The possibility of developing TAIII as a new anti-tumor agent is worth considering. ..
- Li S, Tan H, Wang N, Zhang Z, Lao L, Wong C, et al. The Role of Oxidative Stress and Antioxidants in Liver Diseases. Int J Mol Sci. 2015;16:26087-124 pubmed publisher..Various factors that cause oxidative stress in liver and effects of antioxidants in the prevention and treatment of liver diseases were summarized, questioned, and discussed. ..
- Feng Y, Wang N, Ye X, Li H, Feng Y, Cheung F, et al. Hepatoprotective effect and its possible mechanism of Coptidis rhizoma aqueous extract on carbon tetrachloride-induced chronic liver hepatotoxicity in rats. J Ethnopharmacol. 2011;138:683-90 pubmed publisher..CRAE showed protective effect against CCl(4)-induced chronic liver damage in rats and its potential as an agent in the treatment of chronic liver diseases by protecting hepatocyte from injury. ..