Genomes and Genes
Ching Lung Cheung
Affiliation: The University of Hong Kong
- Genetic Variants in GREM2 Are Associated With Bone Mineral Density in a Southern Chinese PopulationChing Lung Cheung
PhD, Department of Medicine, L8, Lab Block, Faculty of Medicine Buillding, The University of Hong Kong, 21 Sassoon Road, Pokfulam, Hong Kong, China
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 98:E1557-61. 2013..043). Conclusions: The minor allele of rs4454537 is significantly associated with low BMD at the total hip of southern Chinese people. Our study further suggests GREM2 as a novel susceptibility gene for osteoporosis. ..
- Low handgrip strength is a predictor of osteoporotic fractures: cross-sectional and prospective evidence from the Hong Kong Osteoporosis StudyChing Lung Cheung
Department of Medicine, The University of Hong Kong, L833B, Lab Block, 21 Sassoon Road, Hong Kong, China
Age (Dordr) 34:1239-48. 2012..Compared with using FN BMD T-score of -2.5 alone, HGS alone has a comparable predictive power to BMD, and the combined T-score may be useful to identify extra subjects at risk of clinical fractures with improved specificity...
- Meta-analysis of gene-based genome-wide association studies of bone mineral density in Chinese and European subjectsC L Cheung
Department of Medicine, The University of Hong Kong, Queen Mary Hospital, 102 Pokfulam Road, Hong Kong, China
Osteoporos Int 23:131-42. 2012....
- Identification of QTL genes for BMD variation using both linkage and gene-based association approachesGloria Hoi Yee Li
Department of Medicine, The University of Hong Kong, Lab Block, 21 Sassoon Road, Hong Kong, Hong Kong
Hum Genet 130:539-46. 2011..01 and 0.004 for CAST and ERAP1, respectively). These findings provide further evidence that 5q21 is a BMD QTL, and CAST and ERAP1 may be associated with femoral neck BMD variation...
- Identification of LTBP2 on chromosome 14q as a novel candidate gene for bone mineral density variation and fracture risk associationChing Lung Cheung
Department of Medicine, The University of Hong Kong, Pokfulam, Hong Kong, China
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 93:4448-55. 2008..Low bone mineral density (BMD) is a major risk factor for osteoporotic fracture. Chromosome 14q has previously been linked to BMD variation in several genome-wide linkage scans in Caucasian populations...
- Association of low-density lipoprotein receptor-related protein 5 (LRP5) promoter SNP with peak bone mineral density in Chinese womenChing Lung Cheung
Department of Medicine, The University of Hong Kong, Queen Mary Hospital, Hong Kong, China
Hum Hered 65:232-9. 2008..Our study aimed to evaluate the importance of LRP5 in the determination of peak bone mass acquisition in Chinese females in the general population...
- Post-genome wide association studies and functional analyses identify association of MPP7 gene variants with site-specific bone mineral densitySu Mei Xiao
Department of Medicine, The University of Hong Kong, Hong Kong, China
Hum Mol Genet 21:1648-57. 2012..07 × 10(-3), n= 135). Our data suggest a genetic and functional association of MPP7 with BMD variation...
- A differential association of ALOX15 polymorphisms with bone mineral density in pre- and post-menopausal womenChing Lung Cheung
Department of Medicine, Queen Mary Hospital, The University of Hong Kong, Hong Kong, SAR, China
Hum Hered 65:1-8. 2008..The aim of the present study is to systematically study the relation of ALOX15 polymorphisms in BMD variation in southern Chinese women...
- Serum β-2 microglobulin predicts mortality in people with diabetesChing Lung Cheung
Division of Clinical Pharmacology and Therapeutics, The University of Hong Kong, Pokfulam, Hong Kong, China
Eur J Endocrinol 169:1-7. 2013..Glycation of B2M is cytotoxic and may contribute to the risk of mortality in diabetic patients. Our objective was to evaluate the relationship between B2M and mortality in diabetic patients...
- Genome-wide association study identifies a susceptibility locus for thyrotoxic periodic paralysis at 17q24.3Ching Lung Cheung
Department of Medicine, Queen Mary Hospital, The University of Hong Kong, Pokfulam, China
Nat Genet 44:1026-9. 2012..0001). Our study has identified a susceptibility locus associated with TPP and provides insight into the causes of TPP...
- Heritability of serum osteoprotegerinJohnny S H Kwan
Department of Psychiatry, The University of Hong Kong, China
Ann Hum Genet 75:584-8. 2011..In conclusion, we confirmed that circulating OPG is a heritable trait and there is a significant difference in heritability between sexes...
- Genetic epidemiology of age-related osteoporosis and its clinical applicationsChing Lung Cheung
Department of Medicine, The University of Hong Kong, Room 420, Block K, Queen Mary Hospital, 102 Pokfulam Road, Hong Kong, China
Nat Rev Rheumatol 6:507-17. 2010..This Review presents an overview of the major findings since 2007 and clinical applications of these genome-wide linkage and association studies...
- The relationship between glucose metabolism, metabolic syndrome, and bone-specific alkaline phosphatase: a structural equation modeling approachChing Lung Cheung
University Department of Medicine, Queen Mary Hospital, 102 Pokfulam Road, Hong Kong, China
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 98:3856-63. 2013..037, and standardized root mean square residual = 0.006). Conclusion: Glucose metabolism and MetS are significantly related to serum BAP levels. How BAP mediates vascular calcification in diabetes and MetS warrants further studies. ..
- Pre-B-cell leukemia homeobox 1 (PBX1) shows functional and possible genetic association with bone mineral density variationChing Lung Cheung
Department of Medicine, The University of Hong Kong, Hong Kong, Republic of China
Hum Mol Genet 18:679-87. 2009..Overall, our data suggest a genetic and functional association of PBX1 with BMD...
- Bioimpedance: can its addition to simple clinical criteria enhance the diagnosis of osteoporosis?Heidi H Y Ngai
Department of Medicine, Queen Mary Hospital, The University of Hong Kong, Hong Kong, China
J Bone Miner Metab 27:372-8. 2009..Although BI was significantly associated with BMD, addition of BI did not enhance the ability to diagnose osteoporosis significantly compared with simple clinical criteria such as age and weight...
- Bone loss during menopausal transition among southern Chinese womenElaine Cheung
Department of Medicine, United Christian Hospital, Hong Kong, China
Maturitas 69:50-6. 2011..Estrogen deficiency during menopausal transition is associated with rapid bone loss. The purpose of this study was to examine the time of onset, the rate, and predictors of menopausal bone loss...
- Reduced serum beta-trace protein is associated with metabolic syndromeChing Lung Cheung
Division of Clinical Pharmacology and Therapeutics, Department of Medicine, Li Ka Shing Faculty of Medicine, The University of Hong Kong, Pokfulam, Hong Kong, China
Atherosclerosis 227:404-7. 2013..trace protein (BTP), also known as lipocalin-type prostaglandin D2 synthase, has shown to regulate glucose and lipid metabolism in vivo. We sought to study the relationship of serum BTP with diabetes and metabolic syndrome (MetS)...
- Tranexamic acid-associated necrosis and intralesional thrombosis of uterine leiomyomas: a clinicopathologic study of 147 cases emphasizing the importance of drug-induced necrosis and early infarcts in leiomyomasPhilip P C Ip
Department of Pathology, The University of Hong Kong, Queen Mary Hospital, Pokfulam Road, Hong Kong
Am J Surg Pathol 31:1215-24. 2007..Four hundred ninety patients with uterine leiomyomas in 2004 and 2005 were reviewed. Their ages ranged from 22 to 86 (mean 47.2). One hundred forty-seven (30%) were treated with tranexamic acid...