Affiliation: The Hong Kong Polytechnic University
- Li R, Wong M, Zhou Y, Chan E, Chen S. Complete nucleotide sequence of a conjugative plasmid carrying bla(PER-1). Antimicrob Agents Chemother. 2015;59:3582-4 pubmed publisher..A complex class 1 integron was identified together with ISCR1 and bla(PER-1) (ISCR1-bla(PER-1)-gst-abct-qacEÎ”1-sul1), which was shown to form a circular intermediate playing an important role in the dissemination of bla(PER-1). ..
- Jin W, Xu C, Cheng Q, Qi X, Gao W, Zheng Z, et al. Investigation of synergistic antimicrobial effects of the drug combinations of meropenem and 1,2-benzisoselenazol-3(2H)-one derivatives on carbapenem-resistant Enterobacteriaceae producing NDM-1. Eur J Med Chem. 2018;155:285-302 pubmed publisher..The prospect of application of such compounds as carbapenem adjuvants warrants further evaluation. ..
- Li R, Lin D, Chen K, Wong M, Chen S. First detection of AmpC Î²-lactamase bla(CMY-2) on a conjugative IncA/C plasmid in a Vibrio parahaemolyticus isolate of food origin. Antimicrob Agents Chemother. 2015;59:4106-11 pubmed publisher..parahaemolyticus, thereby posing a potential threat to public health. ..
- Chiou J, Li R, Chen S. CARB-17 family of Î²-lactamases mediates intrinsic resistance to penicillins in Vibrio parahaemolyticus. Antimicrob Agents Chemother. 2015;59:3593-5 pubmed publisher..Importantly, bla(CARB-17)-like genes were present in all 293 V. parahaemolyticus genome sequences available in GenBank and detectable in all 91 V. parahaemolyticus food isolates, further confirming the intrinsic nature of this gene. ..
- Wong M, Liu L, Yan M, Chan E, Chen S. Dissemination of IncI2 Plasmids That Harbor the blaCTX-M Element among Clinical Salmonella Isolates. Antimicrob Agents Chemother. 2015;59:5026-8 pubmed publisher..coli strains recovered from animals. This finding indicates that IncI2 plasmids harboring the blaCTX-M genes may undergo cross-species migration among potential bacterial pathogens, with E. coli as the major source of such elements. ..
- Chen K, Dong N, Zhao S, Liu L, Li R, Xie M, et al. Identification and Characterization of Conjugative Plasmids That Encode Ciprofloxacin Resistance in Salmonella. Antimicrob Agents Chemother. 2018;62: pubmed publisher..The dissemination of these conjugative plasmids that confer ciprofloxacin resistance poses serious challenges to public health and Salmonella infection control. ..
- Wang J, Shao X, Zhang Y, Zhu Y, Yang P, Yuan J, et al. HrpS Is a Global Regulator on Type III Secretion System (T3SS) and Non-T3SS Genes in Pseudomonas savastanoi pv. phaseolicola. Mol Plant Microbe Interact. 2018;31:1232-1243 pubmed publisher..savastanoi. [Formula: see text] Copyright © 2018 The Author(s). This is an open-access article distributed under the CC BY-NC-ND 4.0 International license . ..
- Jin K, Po K, Kong W, Lo C, Lo C, Lam H, et al. Synthesis and antibacterial studies of teixobactin analogues with non-isostere substitution of enduracididine. Bioorg Med Chem. 2018;26:1062-1068 pubmed publisher..25 to 1.0?µM. Structure-activity relationship is also established for further development of more promising teixobactin analogues. ..
- Chen S, Barbieri J. Solubility of the catalytic domains of Botulinum neurotoxin serotype E subtypes. Protein Expr Purif. 2016;118:18-24 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, this study generated a soluble and stable recombinant LC/E and provided insight into the structural components that govern the solubility and stability of the LCs of other BoNT serotypes and Tetanus toxin. ..
- Guo J, Chan E, Chen S. Comparative characterization of botulinum neurotoxin subtypes F1 and F7 featuring differential substrate recognition and cleavage mechanisms. Toxicon. 2016;111:77-85 pubmed publisher..Our findings provide insights into the distinct substrate recognition features of BoNT subtypes and useful information for therapy development for BoNT/F. ..
- Po K, Chan E, Chen S. Mutational Analysis of Quinolone Resistance Protein QnrVC7 Provides Novel Insights into the Structure-Activity Relationship of Qnr Proteins. Antimicrob Agents Chemother. 2016;60:1939-42 pubmed publisher..Some substitutions reduced the protective activity of QnrVC7, while some of them increased it. These findings advanced our understanding on the detailed structural organization and functional requirements of Qnr proteins. ..
- Lin D, Xie M, Li R, Chen K, Chan E, Chen S. IncFII Conjugative Plasmid-Mediated Transmission of blaNDM-1 Elements among Animal-Borne Escherichia coli Strains. Antimicrob Agents Chemother. 2017;61: pubmed publisher..The blaNDM-1 gene can be incorporated into plasmids and stably inherited in animal-borne E. coli strains that can be maintained in animal gut microflora even without carbapenem selection pressure. ..
- Lin D, Chen K, Xie M, Ye L, Chan E, Chen S. Effect of ceftiofur and enrofloxacin on E. coli sub-population in pig gastrointestinal tract. J Glob Antimicrob Resist. 2017;10:126-130 pubmed publisher..The gut flora of animals comprises a high baseline level of resistance, among which resistant organisms cannot be eradicated but instead being further enriched in successive episodes of antibiotic treatment. ..
- Ye W, Guo J, Bao X, Chen T, Weng W, Chen S, et al. Rapid and Sensitive Detection of Bacteria Response to Antibiotics Using Nanoporous Membrane and Graphene Quantum Dot (GQDs)-Based Electrochemical Biosensors. Materials (Basel). 2017;10: pubmed publisher..The capability of studying the dynamic effects of antibiotics on bacteria has potential applications in the field of monitoring disease therapy, detecting comprehensive food safety hazards and even life in hostile environment. ..
- Jin K, Po K, Wang S, Reuven J, Wai C, Lau H, et al. Synthesis and structure-activity relationship of teixobactin analogues via convergent Ser ligation. Bioorg Med Chem. 2017;25:4990-4995 pubmed publisher..These studies will shed lights on the further development of teixobactin analogues with improved antibacterial activities. ..
- Cui M, Zhang J, Zhang C, Li R, Wai Chi Chan E, Wu C, et al. Distinct mechanisms of acquisition of mcr-1 -bearing plasmid by Salmonella strains recovered from animals and food samples. Sci Rep. 2017;7:13199 pubmed publisher..coli, which co-exist in food samples. ..
- Li R, Xie M, Zhang J, Yang Z, Liu L, Liu X, et al. Genetic characterization of mcr-1-bearing plasmids to depict molecular mechanisms underlying dissemination of the colistin resistance determinant. J Antimicrob Chemother. 2017;72:393-401 pubmed publisher..It is often co-transmitted with other resistance determinants through IncHI2 plasmids. The functional mechanism of Tn6330, a typical composite transposon harbouring mcr-1, should be further investigated. ..
- Wong M, Chan E, Chen S. Isolation of carbapenem-resistant Pseudomonas spp. from food. J Glob Antimicrob Resist. 2015;3:109-114 pubmed publisher..Further selection of such carbapenem-resistant Pseudomonas spp. in the environment and the risk by which they are transmitted to clinical settings are of great public health concern. ..
- Chen S. Clinical uses of botulinum neurotoxins: current indications, limitations and future developments. Toxins (Basel). 2012;4:913-39 pubmed publisher..Much research still needs to be done to improve and extend the medical uses of BoNTs. ..
- Li R, Yu H, Xie M, Chen K, Dong N, Lin D, et al. Genetic basis of chromosomally-encoded mcr-1 gene. Int J Antimicrob Agents. 2018;51:578-585 pubmed publisher..Policy on the prudent use of colistin both in veterinary and clinical settings should be imposed globally to further prevent dissemination of mcr-1 in E. coli and other bacterial pathogens. ..
- Po K, Chan E, Chen S. Functional Characterization of CTX-M-14 and CTX-M-15 β-Lactamases by In Vitro DNA Shuffling. Antimicrob Agents Chemother. 2017;61: pubmed publisher..These findings suggest that the distal pockets could also contribute to the activity of the enzymes and may be regarded as alternative targets for inhibitor development. ..
- Gu D, Dong N, Zheng Z, Lin D, Huang M, Wang L, et al. A fatal outbreak of ST11 carbapenem-resistant hypervirulent Klebsiella pneumoniae in a Chinese hospital: a molecular epidemiological study. Lancet Infect Dis. 2018;18:37-46 pubmed publisher..Chinese National Key Basic Research and Development Program and Collaborative Research Fund of Hong Kong Research Grant Council. ..
- Zhang R, Liu L, Zhou H, Chan E, Li J, Fang Y, et al. Nationwide Surveillance of Clinical Carbapenem-resistant Enterobacteriaceae (CRE) Strains in China. EBioMedicine. 2017;19:98-106 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, the increasing prevalence of CRE strains in China is attributed to dissemination of conservative mobile elements carrying blaNDM or blaKPC-2 on conjugative and non-conjugative plasmids. ..