Ben Zhong Tang
Affiliation: Clear Water Bay
- Qin W, Zhang P, Li H, Lam J, Cai Y, Kwok R, et al. Ultrabright red AIEgens for two-photon vascular imaging with high resolution and deep penetration. Chem Sci. 2018;9:2705-2710 pubmed publisher..Such a strategy sheds light on the development of efficient solid state red/NIR emitters for biological applications. ..
- Chen C, Song Z, Zheng X, He Z, Liu B, Huang X, et al. AIEgen-based theranostic system: targeted imaging of cancer cells and adjuvant amplification of antitumor efficacy of paclitaxel. Chem Sci. 2017;8:2191-2198 pubmed publisher..This study thus not only extends the application scope of photosensitizers, but also offers a unique theranostic system with the combination of diagnostic imaging and adjuvant antitumor therapy. ..
- He Z, Shan L, Mei J, Wang H, Lam J, Sung H, et al. Aggregation-induced emission and aggregation-promoted photochromism of bis(diphenylmethylene)dihydroacenes. Chem Sci. 2015;6:3538-3543 pubmed publisher..In particular, the fast responsive, photo-reversible and thermo-irreversible photochromic effect facilitated in the solid state opens a new field of aggregation-promoted photochromism. ..
- Wang H, Gu X, Hu R, Lam J, Zhang D, Tang B. Luminescent photonic crystals with multi-functionality and tunability. Chem Sci. 2016;7:5692-5698 pubmed publisher..Both the water- and ethanol-tunable emission shift fit to a linear relationship, and thus the luminescent PC could be able to quantitatively detect humidity in the environment and alcohol in wine. ..
- Zhang R, Niu G, Li X, Guo L, Zhang H, Yang R, et al. Reaction-free and MMP-independent fluorescent probes for long-term mitochondria visualization and tracking. Chem Sci. 2019;10:1994-2000 pubmed publisher..These excellent properties could make ECPI-12 and IVPI-12 the first selective tools for long-term visualization and tracking of mitochondrial dynamics. ..
- Roose J, Leung A, Wang J, Peng Q, Sung H, Williams I, et al. A colour-tunable chiral AIEgen: reversible coordination, enantiomer discrimination and morphology visualization. Chem Sci. 2016;7:6106-6114 pubmed publisher..Thus, compared to current analytical methods, we present a cheaper and faster methodology to study the micro-morphologies of certain polymer blends. ..
- Chen T, Xie N, Viglianti L, Zhou Y, Tan H, Tang B, et al. Quantitative urinalysis using aggregation-induced emission bioprobes for monitoring chronic kidney disease. Faraday Discuss. 2017;196:351-362 pubmed publisher..The mutual interference of HSA and creatinine when the bioprobes are used for quantitation is characterised, with promising results. Further improvements and potential applications in CKD quantitation are highlighted. ..
- Wang J, Zhu W, Niu G, Jiang G, Chen Q, Gao P, et al. Selectively light-up hydrogen peroxide in hypoxic cancer cells with a novel fluorescent probe. Chem Commun (Camb). 2018;54:13957-13960 pubmed publisher..A novel fluorescent turn-on probe (HCyHP) was developed in a simple two-step synthesis for monitoring of exogenous and endogenous H2O2 levels in biological samples and hypoxic cancer diagnosis. ..
- Yan N, Xie S, Tang B, Wang W. Real-time monitoring of the dissolution kinetics of silver nanoparticles and nanowires in aquatic environments using an aggregation-induced emission fluorogen. Chem Commun (Camb). 2018;: pubmed publisher..Real-time and quantitative monitoring of Ag+ release was achieved by using the proposed method, which agreed well with the conventional ICP-MS detection method. ..
- Viglianti L, Leung N, Xie N, Gu X, Sung H, Miao Q, et al. Aggregation-induced emission: mechanistic study of the clusteroluminescence of tetrathienylethene. Chem Sci. 2017;8:2629-2639 pubmed publisher..669 Å for TTE and 3.679 Å for DTE. These heteroatom interactions could help explain the photoluminescence of non-conventional luminophores as well as the luminescence of non-conjugated biomacromolecules. ..
- Zhao W, Cheung T, Jiang N, Huang W, Lam J, Zhang X, et al. Boosting the efficiency of organic persistent room-temperature phosphorescence by intramolecular triplet-triplet energy transfer. Nat Commun. 2019;10:1595 pubmed publisher..The strategy developed here will enable the development of efficient phosphorescent materials for potential high-tech applications. ..
- Han T, Zhang Y, He B, Lam J, Tang B. Functional Poly(dihalopentadiene)s: Stereoselective Synthesis, Aggregation-Enhanced Emission and Sensitive Detection of Explosives. Polymers (Basel). 2018;10: pubmed publisher..Their nanoaggregates in aqueous media can serve as sensitive fluorescent chemosensors for the detection of explosives with a superamplification effect and a low detection limit. ..
- Niu G, Zhang R, Gu Y, Wang J, Ma C, Kwok R, et al. Highly photostable two-photon NIR AIEgens with tunable organelle specificity and deep tissue penetration. Biomaterials. 2019;208:72-82 pubmed publisher..These highly photostable AIEgens could be potentially utilized in visualizing and tracking specific organelle-associated dynamic changes in live systems. ..
- Zhu J, Tang B, Lo K. Luminescent Molecular Octopuses with a Polyhedral Oligomeric Silsesquioxane Core and Iridium(III) Polypyridine Arms: Synthesis, Aggregation Induced Emission, Cellular Uptake and Bioimaging Studies. Chemistry. 2019;: pubmed publisher..Furthermore, the cellular uptake and intracellular localization of the complexes were investigated by inductively coupled plasma-mass spectrometry (ICP-MS) and laser-scanning confocal microscopy (LSCM). ..
- Hu R, Chen B, Wang Z, Qin A, Zhao Z, Lou X, et al. Intriguing "chameleon" fluorescent bioprobes for the visualization of lipid droplet-lysosome interplay. Biomaterials. 2019;203:43-51 pubmed publisher..The unique labeling behaviors and distinguished dual emissions of the probes in LDs and lysosome make them promising agents for fluorescence visualization studies of LD-lysosome related bioprocess and metabolism diseases. ..
- Zhao Z, Chen C, Wu W, Wang F, Du L, Zhang X, et al. Highly efficient photothermal nanoagent achieved by harvesting energy via excited-state intramolecular motion within nanoparticles. Nat Commun. 2019;10:768 pubmed publisher..This study not only provides a strategy for developing advanced photothermal/photoacoustic imaging nanoagents, but also enables molecular motion in a nanoplatform to find a way for practical application. ..
- Zhang H, Zheng X, Kwok R, Wang J, Leung N, Shi L, et al. In situ monitoring of molecular aggregation using circular dichroism. Nat Commun. 2018;9:4961 pubmed publisher..This work provides an approach to monitor molecular aggregation in a simple, accurate, and efficient way. ..
- Sedgwick A, Wu L, Han H, Bull S, He X, James T, et al. Excited-state intramolecular proton-transfer (ESIPT) based fluorescence sensors and imaging agents. Chem Soc Rev. 2018;47:8842-8880 pubmed publisher..The development of ESIPT-based fluorescence probes is particularly attractive due to their unique properties, which include a large Stokes shift, environmental sensitivity and potential for ratiometric sensing. ..
- Hu R, Zhou F, Zhou T, Shen J, Wang Z, Zhao Z, et al. Specific discrimination of gram-positive bacteria and direct visualization of its infection towards mammalian cells by a DPAN-based AIEgen. Biomaterials. 2018;187:47-54 pubmed publisher..Moreover, this probe can be used to visualize the infection processes of G+ towards mammalian cells, which provides valuable information for understanding the therapeutic mechanism. ..
- Feng H, Yuan Y, Xiong J, Zheng Y, Tang B. Macrocycles and cages based on tetraphenylethylene with aggregation-induced emission effect. Chem Soc Rev. 2018;47:7452-7476 pubmed publisher..Thus, this review serves as a summary of the designs, synthesis, photophysical properties, self-assembly, applications and prospects of TPE macrocycles and cages. ..
- Zhao W, He Z, Peng Q, Lam J, Ma H, Qiu Z, et al. Highly sensitive switching of solid-state luminescence by controlling intersystem crossing. Nat Commun. 2018;9:3044 pubmed publisher..The proposed design strategy thus provides a big step to expand the scope of the unique On-Off MRL family. ..
- Nie H, Chen B, Quan C, Zhou J, Qiu H, Hu R, et al. Modulation of aggregation-induced emission and electroluminescence of silole derivatives by a covalent bonding pattern. Chemistry. 2015;21:8137-47 pubmed publisher..AIE-active silole derivatives show much better elecroluminescence properties than those without the AIE characterisic, demonstrating the advantage of AIE-active emitters in OLED applications. ..
- Qiu J, Wang K, Lian Z, Yang X, Huang W, Qin A, et al. Prediction and understanding of AIE effect by quantum mechanics-aided machine-learning algorithm. Chem Commun (Camb). 2018;: pubmed publisher..In this study, taking triphenylamine (TPA)-based luminophores as an example, we propose an efficient machine-learning scheme for predicting AIE-activity based on quantum mechanics. ..
- Li J, Jiang Y, Cheng J, Zhang Y, Su H, Lam J, et al. Tuning the singlet-triplet energy gap of AIE luminogens: crystallization-induced room temperature phosphorescence and delay fluorescence, tunable temperature response, highly efficient non-doped organic light-emitting diodes. Phys Chem Chem Phys. 2015;17:1134-41 pubmed publisher..All the above observations suggested that tuning the Î”EST values of AIE materials is a powerful methodology to generate many more interesting and meaningful optoelectronic properties. ..
- Leung C, Guo F, Hong Y, Zhao E, Kwok R, Leung N, et al. Detection of oligomers and fibrils of Î±-synuclein by AIEgen with strong fluorescence. Chem Commun (Camb). 2015;51:1866-9 pubmed publisher..Compared with ThT, TPE-TPP shows a higher sensitivity in the detection of Î±-Syn oligomers as well as fibrils with a stronger fluorescence. The performance of TPE-TPP was evaluated using fluorescence, AFM, dot blot, and SEC. ..
- Zhao E, Deng H, Chen S, Hong Y, Leung C, Lam J, et al. A dual functional AEE fluorogen as a mitochondrial-specific bioprobe and an effective photosensitizer for photodynamic therapy. Chem Commun (Camb). 2014;50:14451-4 pubmed publisher..More intriguingly, TPE-IQ can serve as a photosensitizer to generate reactive oxygen species (ROS) in the mitochondria region to induce cell apoptosis. ..
- Wang E, He Z, Zhao E, Meng L, SchÃ¼tt C, Lam J, et al. Aggregation-Induced-Emission-Active Macrocycle Exhibiting Analogous Triply and Singly Twisted MÃ¶bius Topologies. Chemistry. 2015;21:11707-11 pubmed publisher..Moreover, theoretical studies including topological and electronic calculations reveal the energetically favorable interconversion process between triply and singly twisted topologies. ..
- Wang J, Gu X, Ma H, Peng Q, Huang X, Zheng X, et al. A facile strategy for realizing room temperature phosphorescence and single molecule white light emission. Nat Commun. 2018;9:2963 pubmed publisher..Their single-molecule white light emission is realized by tuning the degree of crystallization. Such white light emission also performs well in polymer matrices and their use in 3D printing is demonstrated by white light lampshades. ..
- Qi J, Chen C, Zhang X, Hu X, Ji S, Kwok R, et al. Light-driven transformable optical agent with adaptive functions for boosting cancer surgery outcomes. Nat Commun. 2018;9:1848 pubmed publisher..The use of the nanoparticles improves the outcomes of in vivo cancer surgery using preoperative photoacoustic imaging and intraoperative fluorescent visualization/photodynamic therapy of residual tumours to ensure total tumour removal. ..
- Zhou H, Li J, Chua M, Yan H, Ye Q, Song J, et al. Tetraphenylethene (TPE) modified polyhedral oligomeric silsesquioxanes (POSS): unadulterated monomer emission, aggregation-induced emission and nanostructural self-assembly modulated by the flexible spacer between POSS and TPE. Chem Commun (Camb). 2016;52:12478-12481 pubmed
- Guan W, Zhou W, Lu C, Tang B. Synthesis and Design of Aggregation-Induced Emission Surfactants: Direct Observation of Micelle Transitions and Microemulsion Droplets. Angew Chem Int Ed Engl. 2015;54:15160-4 pubmed publisher..The results of this study deepen our understanding of micelle-transition processes and provide solid evidence in favor of the hypothesis that the AIE phenomenon has its origin in the RIR of fluorophores in the aggregate state. ..
- Gu X, Wang H, Roose J, He Z, Zhou Y, Yan Y, et al. A Luminescent Nitrogen-Containing Polycyclic Aromatic Hydrocarbon Synthesized by Photocyclodehydrogenation with Unprecedented Regioselectivity. Chemistry. 2015;21:17973-80 pubmed publisher..Our design and synthetic strategy might lead to a more general approach to the preparation of solution- and solid-state luminescent PAHs. ..
- Zhao Y, Kwok R, Lam J, Tang B. A highly fluorescent AIE-active theranostic agent with anti-tumor activity to specific cancer cells. Nanoscale. 2016;8:12520-3 pubmed publisher..Its high brightness, excellent photostability and long-term cell tracing properties enable elucidation of its working mechanism and hence provide new insights into drug development. ..
- Gao M, Wang L, Chen J, Li S, Lu G, Wang L, et al. Aggregation-Induced Emission Active Probe for Light-Up Detection of Anionic Surfactants and Wash-Free Bacterial Imaging. Chemistry. 2016;22:5107-12 pubmed publisher..The results of this study provide a new strategy for sensitive detection of anionic surfactants and wash-free bacterial imaging. ..
- Jiang S, Huang T, Wang K, Tang B, Yu Q. A New Determination Method of the Solubility Parameter of Polymer Based on AIE. Molecules. 2016;22: pubmed publisher..According to the photoluminescence (PL) intensities spectra, the solubility parameters of PMMA and polyvinyl acetate (PVAc) are 9.19 cal1/2cm-3/2 and 9.85 cal1/2cm-3/2, respectively. ..
- Kang M, Gu X, Kwok R, Leung C, Lam J, Li F, et al. A near-infrared AIEgen for specific imaging of lipid droplets. Chem Commun (Camb). 2016;52:5957-60 pubmed publisher..TPE-AC can monitor the process of LD accumulation in cells, thus making it potential for the diagnosis of early-stage fat-related diseases. ..
- Song Z, Kwok R, Ding D, Nie H, Lam J, Liu B, et al. An AIE-active fluorescence turn-on bioprobe mediated by hydrogen-bonding interaction for highly sensitive detection of hydrogen peroxide and glucose. Chem Commun (Camb). 2016;52:10076-9 pubmed publisher..The linear fluorescence response enables quantification of hydrogen peroxide with superior sensitivity and selectivity. Meanwhile, glucose assay is also realized by taking advantage of GOx/glucose enzymatic reaction. ..
- Bu F, Duan R, Xie Y, Yi Y, Peng Q, Hu R, et al. Unusual Aggregation-Induced Emission of a Coumarin Derivative as a Result of the Restriction of an Intramolecular Twisting Motion. Angew Chem Int Ed Engl. 2015;54:14492-7 pubmed publisher..The results also show that AIE is a general phenomenon and not peculiar to propeller-like molecules. The AIE and ACQ effects can be switched readily by the modulation of molecular rigidity. ..
- Gong W, Yan J, Zhao L, Li C, Huang Z, Tang B, et al. Single-wavelength-controlled in situ dynamic super-resolution fluorescence imaging for block copolymer nanostructures via blue-light-switchable FRAP. Photochem Photobiol Sci. 2016;15:1433-1441 pubmed..Single-wavelength-controlled dynamic super-resolution fluorescence imaging facilitates nanoscale optical visualization for the dynamic physical and chemical fluctuation processes of stimuli-responsive nanostructures. ..
- Li K, Liu Y, Li Y, Feng Q, Hou H, Tang B. 2,5-bis(4-alkoxycarbonylphenyl)-1,4-diaryl-1,4-dihydropyrrolo[3,2-b]pyrrole (AAPP) AIEgens: tunable RIR and TICT characteristics and their multifunctional applications. Chem Sci. 2017;8:7258-7267 pubmed publisher..2) The desethyl AAPP derivative (CAPP) was successfully applied in the detection of Cd(ii) in aqueous solution at neutral pH, and showed a 500-fold fluorescence "turn-on" response to Cd(ii) with good selectivity. ..
- Zhang J, Kang H, Li N, Zhou S, Sun H, Yin S, et al. Organic solid fluorophores regulated by subtle structure modification: color-tunable and aggregation-induced emission. Chem Sci. 2017;8:577-582 pubmed publisher..Moreover, the fluorophores with aromatic substituents exhibit additional unique optical phenomena, such as aggregation-induced emission, polymorphism-dependent emission, and reversible mechanochromic luminescence. ..
- Qiu Z, Han T, Lam J, Tang B. Recent New Methodologies for Acetylenic Polymers with Advanced Functionalities. Top Curr Chem (Cham). 2017;375:70 pubmed publisher..The properties and applications of acetylenic polymers, such as aggregation-induced emission, fluorescent photopatterning, light refraction, chemosensing, mechanochromism, chain helicity, etc., are also discussed. ..
- Gao M, Tang B. Aggregation-induced emission probes for cancer theranostics. Drug Discov Today. 2017;22:1288-1294 pubmed publisher..Here, we discuss and summarize the recent advances in the development of AIE probes for cancer theranostics. ..
- He Z, Zhao W, Lam J, Peng Q, Ma H, Liang G, et al. White light emission from a single organic molecule with dual phosphorescence at room temperature. Nat Commun. 2017;8:416 pubmed publisher..Here the authors show a single pure organic room temperature phosphor, 4-chlorobenzoyldibenzothiophene, utilizing the emission from both T1 and T2 states. ..