Genomes and Genes
J L Santos
Affiliation: Universidad de Chile
- Low prevalence of type 2 diabetes despite a high average body mass index in the Aymara natives from ChileJ L Santos
Laboratory of Epidemiology, Institute of Nutrition and Food Technology, University of Chile, Santiago, Chile
Nutrition 17:305-9. 2001..5%), high physical activity levels and low plasma-insulin concentrations may have been responsible in part for the low prevalence of DM2 in the Aymara population...
- Plasma leptin and insulin levels in Aymara natives from ChileJ L Santos
Department of Epidemiology, Institute of Nutrition and Food Technology, University of Chile, Santiago
Ann Hum Biol 27:271-9. 2000..9) were detected at alpha 0.05 level. Thus, in the special ecosystem where the Aymara population live, a strong and independent association between sex, obesity and insulin levels with plasma leptin levels has been detected...
- Nonsynergic effect of ethanol and lead on heme metabolism in ratsJ L Santos
Porphyria Unit, Hospital Universitario Doce de Octubre, Madrid, Spain
Ecotoxicol Environ Saf 43:98-102. 1999..Hepatic GSH and urinary ALA and porphyrin levels were maintained in a similar range in all groups...
- No evidence for an association between genetic polymorphisms of beta(2)- and beta(3)-adrenergic receptor genes with body mass index in Aymara natives from ChileJose Luis Santos
Programa de Epidemiología Genética, Instituto de Nutricion y Tecnologia de los Alimentos, Universidad de Chile, Santiago, Chile
Nutrition 18:255-8. 2002..We assessed the association between Gln27Glu and Trp64Arg genetic polymorphisms of the beta(2) (ADRB2) and beta(3) (ADRB3) adrenergic receptor genes with body mass index and other cardiovascular risk factors...
- Applicability of the case-parent design in the etiological research of Type 1 diabetes in Chile and other genetically mixed populationsJ L Santos
Department of Nutritional Epidemiology, Institute of Nutrition and Food Technology INTA, University of Chile, Santiago
Diabetes Res Clin Pract 43:143-6. 1999....
- [Use of case-parents trio for epidemiological studies of association between genetic polymorphisms and complex diseases]Jose Luis Santos
Instituto de Nutricion y Tecnologia de los Alimentos INTA, Universidad de Chile, Programa de Epidemiología Genética, Macul 5540, Santiago, Chile
Rev Med Chil 130:1307-15. 2002..In this article, we review the analysis of case-parent trios using unrelated affected cases as an epidemiological study design for testing association between genetic polymorphisms and disease...
- Different statistical models used in the calculation of the prevalence of insulin-dependent diabetes mellitus according to the polymorphism of the HLA-DQ regionJ L Santos Martín
Department of Nutritional Epidemiology, University of Chile, Santiago, Chile
Immunol Cell Biol 75:351-5. 1997..These approaches are illustrated with data from a case-control study previously conducted in the city of Santiago, Chile...
- Association between HLA-DQB1 alleles and type 1 diabetes in a case-parents study conducted in Santiago, ChileJ L Santos
Department of Epidemiology, Institute of Nutrition and Food Technology INTA, University of Chile, Santiago, Chile
Am J Epidemiol 153:794-8. 2001..9, 11.6); DQB1(*)0301 was considered the baseline allele. When case-parents trios were used, alleles DQB1(*)0302 and DQB1(*)0201 were strongly associated with a higher risk of type 1 diabetes in the population of SANTIAGO:..
- [Prevalence of obesity, hypertension and dyslipidemia in rural aboriginal groups in Chile]F Perez
Unidad de Nutrición Pública, Instituto de Nutricion y Tecnologia de los Alimentos INTA, Universidad de Chile, Santiago
Rev Med Chil 127:1169-75. 1999..The investigation of a possible relationship between this low prevalence of diabetes and obesity, hypertension and serum lipid profiles in both groups is worthwhile...
- [Obesity and leptin association in three Chilean aboriginal populations]F Perez
Unidades de Biología Molecular y Epidemiología Nutricional, INTA, Universidad de Chile, Santiago, Chile
Rev Med Chil 128:45-52. 2000..Although there is a clear relationship between body mass index and leptin levels, few authors have addressed the possible influence of ethnic factors on these levels...
- Lack of association between the fatty acid binding protein 2 (FABP2) polymorphism with obesity and insulin resistance in two aboriginal populations from ChileF Perez-Bravo
Department of Public Nutrition Genetic Epidemiology Unit, Institute of Nutrition and Food Technology INTA, University of Chile, Santiago, P O Box 138 11, Chile
Acta Diabetol 43:93-8. 2006..37, 95% CI 1.319-4.277, p=0.004) It is unlikely that Ala54Thr polymorphism of the FABP2 gene plays a relevant role in obesity and insulin resistance in Chilean ethnic groups...
- Prevalence of type 2 diabetes and obesity in rural Mapuche population from ChileF Perez-Bravo
Molecular Biology Laboratory, INTA University of Chile, Santiago, Chile
Nutrition 17:236-8. 2001..The prevalence estimated in this study is higher than that reported 15 y ago. This suggests an important role of lifestyle changes as a possible explanation for epidemiologic transition...
- [Relationship between leptin and insulin blood levels in obese and lean Chilean women]C Albala
Instituto de Nutricion y Tecnologia de los Alimentos INTA, Universidad de Chile
Rev Med Chil 128:154-61. 2000..Leptin, a product of ob gene and insulin blood levels, are proportional to the amount of adipose tissue. Insulin could have an independent regulatory effect on leptin secretion...
- Incidence rate of type 1 diabetes in Santiago (Chile) by HLA-DQA1 and DQB1 genotypesN Diaz
Genetics and Metabolic Diseases Program, Institute of Nutrition and Food Technology, University of Chile, Santiago, Chile
Eur J Epidemiol 18:787-92. 2003..26-78.67). This study shows an application on how a transformation of the logistic equation based on Bayes' theorem can be used to estimate incidence rates from case-control studies and population-based incidence rates...
- Transmission of high-risk HLA-DQB1 alleles in Chilean type 1 diabetic patients and their parents: stratification by the presence of ICA or GAD65 autoantibodiesF Perez-Bravo
Molecular Biology Laboratory, INTA, University of Chile, Santiago, Spain
Autoimmunity 33:285-91. 2001....
- Melanocortin-3 receptor gene variants: association with childhood obesity and eating behavior in Chilean familiesA M Obregon
Department of de Nutrition, Diabetes and Metabolism, School of Medicine, Pontificia Universidad Catolica de Chile, Santiago, Chile
Nutrition 26:760-5. 2010..To evaluate the association between melanocortin-3 receptor common genetic polymorphisms with childhood obesity and eating behavior in Chilean families...
- [Lipoprotein lipase gene polymorphism in non-insulin-dependent diabetics: preliminary study]F Perez
INTA, Universidad de Chile, Santiago
Rev Med Chil 125:1329-34. 1997..Lipoprotein lipase plays a crucial role in plasma lipoprotein metabolism. Several lipoprotein lipase gene polymorphisms have been found associated with lipid levels, premature atherosclerosis and cardiovascular disease...
- [Auto-antibody profile and breast feeding in type 1 diabetic patients]F Perez-Bravo
Unidad de Nutrición Pública, Laboratorio de Biologia Molecular, Instituto de Nutricion y Tecnologia de los Alimentos INTA, Universidad de Chile, Casilla 138 11 Santiago, Chile
Rev Med Chil 129:611-9. 2001..Breast feeding duration and the early exposure to milk substitutes are environmental factors associated to etiology of type 1 diabetes...
- Differential relationships between set-shifting abilities and dimensions of insight in schizophreniaJ Diez-Martin
Department of Psychiatry, Instituto de Investigación Hospital 12 de Octubre, Madrid, Spain
Psychopathology 47:86-92. 2014..To assess insight in a large sample of patients with schizophrenia and to study its relationship with set shifting as an executive function...
- Genetic differences in HLA-DQA1* and DQB1* allelic distributions between celiac and control children in Santiago, ChileF Perez-Bravo
Molecular Biology Laboratory, Institute of Nutrition and Food Technology INTA, University of Chile, Santiago
Hum Immunol 60:262-7. 1999..This is concordant with the high frequency of DR4 alleles (in linkage disequilibrium with DQB1*0302) detected in Amerind groups in Chile, where DQB1*0302 is more frequent than DQB1*0201...
- Association between aminolevulinate dehydrase genotypes and blood lead levels in children from a lead-contaminated area in Antofagasta, ChileF Perez-Bravo
Unidad de Nutrición Pública, Programa de Epidemiología Genética, Instituto de Nutricion y Tecnologia de los Alimentos, Universidad de Chile, PO Box 138 11, Santiago, Chile
Arch Environ Contam Toxicol 47:276-80. 2004....
- Melanocortin-4 receptor gene variants in Chilean families: association with childhood obesity and eating behaviorM Valladares
Department of Nutrition, Diabetes and Metabolism, School of Medicine, Pontificia Universidad Catolica de Chile, Santiago, Chile
Nutr Neurosci 13:71-8. 2010..To screen for mutations in the coding region of the melanocortin-4 receptor (MC4R) gene and to assess the association between the rs17782313 variant near MC4R with childhood obesity and eating behavior...
- Increasing incidence of type 1 diabetes in population from Santiago of Chile: trends in a period of 18 years (1986-2003)E Carrasco
Department of Diabetes, Hospital San Juan de Dios, Faculty of Medicine, University of Chile, Santiago, Chile, South America
Diabetes Metab Res Rev 22:34-7. 2006..STUDY OBJECTIVE AND SETTING: The aim of this study is to determine the incidence rate of type 1 diabetes in the metropolitan region of Santiago, Chile from 1 January 1986 to 31 December 2003...
- Adiposity and bone mineral density of Chilean elderly women in relation to toll-like receptor 4 gene polymorphismsJ L Santos
Laboratory of Genetic and Nutrition Epidemiology, Institute of Nutrition and Food Technology INTA, University of Chile, Santiago, Chile
Ann Hum Biol 33:585-92. 2006..On the other hand, the adipose tissue of obese subjects shows an increased expression of the proinflammatory cytokine, tumour necrosis factor-alpha (TNF-alpha), which is released after lipopolysaccharide recognition by TLR4...
- Anthropometric measurements in the elderly population of Santiago, ChileJ L Santos
Public Health Nutrition Area, Institute of Nutrition and Food Technology, University of Chile, Santiago, Chile
Nutrition 20:452-7. 2004..We describe age and sex differences in weight, height, body mass index, knee height, waist circumference, midarm circumference, triceps skinfold thickness, arm muscle area, and calf circumference in Chilean elderly subjects...
- CHRNA7 haplotypes are associated with impaired attention in euthymic bipolar disorderI Ancín
Laboratory of Psychoneuroendocrinology and Molecular Genetics, Biomedical Research Foundation, Clinico San Carlos Hospital, Madrid, Spain
J Affect Disord 133:340-5. 2011..The aim of the present study was to investigate the impact of CHRNA7 in sustained attention performance...
- Prevalence of Type II diabetes mellitus and insulin resistance in parents of women with polycystic ovary syndromeT Sir-Petermann
Laboratory of Endocrinology, Department of Medicine, School of Medicine, San Juan de Dios Hospital and Food Technology Institute, University of Chile, Santiago, Chile
Diabetologia 45:959-64. 2002..To investigate antecedents of metabolic disorders in family members of patients with PCOS, we evaluated glucose tolerance and insulin resistance in parents of patients with PCOS compared to parents of healthy women...
- [HLA haplotypes in families with type 1 diabetes]F Perez
Departamento de Medicina, Facultad de Medicina, Universidad de Chile, Hospital San Juan de Dios, Santiago de Chile
Rev Med Chil 126:1455-63. 1998..HLA-DQA1 and DQB1 alleles have been chosen as the most sensitive susceptibility markers. Family studies are a good method to establish specific relationship between type 1 diabetes and specific haplotypes as risk markers for the disease...
- Plasma levels of interleukin-6 and interleukin-18 after an acute physical exercise: relation with post-exercise energy intake in twinsC Almada
Department of Nutrition, Diabetes and Metabolism, School of Medicine, Pontificia Universidad Catolica de Chile, Alameda 340, Santiago, Chile
J Physiol Biochem 69:85-95. 2013..The present study in monozygotic twins shows increased IL-6 plasma levels after acute physical exercise with a significant reduction in energy intake, supporting a linkage between IL-6 and acute post-exercise eating behaviour...
- Linkage disequilibrium between MSX1 and non-syndromic cleft lip/palate in the Chilean populationJ Suazo
Laboratory of Genetic Epidemiology, Institute of Nutrition and Food Technology, University of Chile, Santiago, Chile
J Dent Res 83:782-5. 2004..01). The authors' findings support the hypothesis of the contribution of MSX1 in the etiology of NSCLP in the Chilean population...
- Effect of zinc or S-adenosyl-l-methionine on long term administration of low doses of lead to ratsJ J Munoz
Porphyria Research Unit, University Hospital Doce de Octubre, Madrid, Spain
Pharmacol Toxicol 73:189-91. 1993..01) higher activities of the enzyme. It is argued that SAM treatment causes a surplus of thiols that allows the full expression of ALA-D catalytic activity...
- The MATRICS consensus cognitive battery (MCCB): co-norming and standardization in SpainR Rodriguez-Jimenez
Department of Psychiatry, Instituto de Investigación Hospital 12 de Octubre, Madrid, Spain
Schizophr Res 134:279-84. 2012..S. The fact that the normative data are comparable, and that the variables age, gender, and education have a similar influence on performance, supports the robustness of the MCCB for use in different countries...
- Sustained attention as a potential endophenotype for bipolar disorderI Ancín
Clinico San Carlos Hospital, Biomedical Research Foundation, Madrid, Spain
Acta Psychiatr Scand 122:235-45. 2010..The aim of this study was to set attention deficit as a stable vulnerability marker of bipolar disorder...
- No evidence of association between the serotonin 2A receptor--1438G/A promoter polymorphism and childhood obesity in a Spanish population: A case-parent study and a matched case-control studyJ L Santos
Department of Physiology and Nutrition, University of Navarra, 31080, Pamplona, Spain
Nutr Neurosci 8:207-11. 2005..Likewise, no association is suggested by the case-parent study. In conclusion, it is unlikely that the--1438 G/A polymorphism of 5HT2A gene may influence obesity in a Spanish children population...
- Does weight loss prognosis depend on genetic make-up?M J Moreno-Aliaga
Department of Physiology and Nutrition, University of Navarra, 31008 Pamplona, Spain
Obes Rev 6:155-68. 2005....