Genomes and Genes
Affiliation: Pontificia Universidad Catolica de Chile
Location: Santiago, Chile
Cancer Research, Epigenetics, Bioinformatics
Fondecyt 1030130 (2003-2005), Fondecyt 1080563 (2008-2010), Fondecyt 1111014 (2011-2014), Fondef D09i1137 (2011-2013), Fonis SA06I20019(2006-2007)
- Baseline assessment of prevalence and geographical distribution of HPV types in Chile using self-collected vaginal samplesCatterina Ferreccio
P Universidad Catolica de Chile, Escuela de Medicina, Santiago Chile
BMC Public Health 8:78. 2008..A home-based self-collected vaginal sampling was nested in the 2003 Chilean population-based health survey in order to explore the possibility of a type-specific geographical variation for human papillomavirus..
- Serial analysis of gene expression identifies connective tissue growth factor expression as a prognostic biomarker in gallbladder cancerHector Alvarez
Department of Pathology, Pontificia Universidad Catolica de Chile, Santiago, Chile
Clin Cancer Res 14:2631-8. 2008..Gallbladder cancer (GBC) is an uncommon neoplasm in the United States, but one with high mortality rates. This malignancy remains largely understudied at the molecular level such that few targeted therapies or predictive biomarkers exist...
- Determinants of Epstein-Barr virus-positive gastric cancer: an international pooled analysisM C Camargo
Division of Cancer Epidemiology and Genetics, National Cancer Institute, National Institutes of Health, 6120 Executive Boulevard, Rockville, MD 20852, USA
Br J Cancer 105:38-43. 2011..This study aimed to identify additional determinants of EBV positivity and their joint effects...
- Reprimo as a potential biomarker for early detection in gastric cancerCarolina Bernal
Department of Anatomic Pathology, Centro Investigaciones Medicas, Pontificia Universidad Catolica de Chile, Santiago, Chile
Clin Cancer Res 14:6264-9. 2008..However, most cases are diagnosed at advanced stage because of the lack of screening programs. Therefore, the identification of plasma biomarkers for early detection is necessary...
- DNA methylation profile in diffuse type gastric cancer: evidence for hypermethylation of the BRCA1 promoter region in early-onset gastric carcinogenesisCarolina Bernal
Departmento Anatomía Patológica, Pontificia Universidad Catolica de Chile, Santiago, Chile
Biol Res 41:303-15. 2008..DNA methylation identified subgroups of diffuse type gastric cancer. Hypermethylation of BRCA1 associated with young age suggests a role in early-onset gastric carcinoma...
- [Risk factors associated with abnormal cervical cytology among Chilean women: a case control study]María Teresa Solis
Departamento de Salud Publica, Escuela de Medicina, Pontificia Universidad Catolica de Chile, Chile
Rev Med Chil 138:174-80. 2010..Cervical cancer is the third cause of cancer death among Chilean women, affecting mainly women from low socioeconomic status...
- Overexpression of p73 as a tissue marker for high-risk gastritisGonzalo Carrasco
Department of Anatomic Pathology, Pontificia Universidad Catolica de Chile, Santiago, Chile
Clin Cancer Res 16:3253-9. 2010..Histologic assessment of high-risk gastritis for the development of gastric cancer is not well defined. The identification of tissue markers together with the integration of histologic features will be required for this assessment...
- Nrf2 and Keap1 abnormalities in non-small cell lung carcinoma and association with clinicopathologic featuresLuisa M Solis
Department of Pathology, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, Texas 77030, USA
Clin Cancer Res 16:3743-53. 2010....
- Helicobacter pylori-induced loss of the inhibitor-of-apoptosis protein survivin is linked to gastritis and death of human gastric cellsManuel Valenzuela
Laboratory of Cellular Communication, Fondo de Investigación Avanzada en Areas Prioritarias, Center for Molecular Studies of the Cell, Facultad de Medicina, Instituto de Ciencias Biomedicas, Universidad de Chile, Pontificia Universidad Catolica de Chile, Santiago, Chile
J Infect Dis 202:1021-30. 2010..Finally, overexpression of survivin in human gastric cells was sufficient to reduce cell death after infection. Taken together, these findings implicate survivin as an important survival factor in the gastric mucosa of humans...
- Promoter hypermethylation of BRCA1 correlates with absence of expression in hereditary breast cancer tumorsTeresa Tapia
Department of Cell and Molecular Biology, Faculty of Biological Sciences, Pontificia Universidad Catolica de Chile, Santiago, Chile
Epigenetics 3:157-63. 2008..Moreover, a number of biopsies with absence of expression on BRCA1 showed negative detection of estrogen and progesterone receptors, a similar phenotype to BRCA1 mutated breast tumors...
- High frequency of p16 promoter methylation in non-small cell lung carcinomas from ChileLeda M Guzman
Escuela de Tecnología Médica, Facultad de Salud, Universidad Santo Tomás, Santiago, Chile
Biol Res 40:365-72. 2007..202, 0.202 and 0.147 respectively). Our results suggest that p16 promoter hypermethylation is a very frequent event in non-small cell lung carcinomas from Chile and could be smoking habit-independent...
- In silico analysis of gastric carcinoma Serial Analysis of Gene Expression libraries reveals different profiles associated with ethnicityFrancisco J Ossandon
Laboratory of Molecular Pathology and Epidemiology, Centro Investigaciones Medicas, Pontificia Universidad Catolica de Chile, Santiago, Chile
Mol Cancer 7:22. 2008..These expression differences might contribute to explain the disparate outcome between the West and the East...
- Mismatch repair expression in testicular cancer predicts recurrence and survivalAlfredo Velasco
Department of Urology, Pontificia Universidad Catolica de Chile, Santiago, Chile
Int J Cancer 122:1774-7. 2008....
- E-cadherin and beta-catenin expression in Epstein-Barr virus-associated gastric carcinoma and their prognostic significanceChihaya Koriyama
Department of Epidemiology and Preventive Medicine, Kagoshima University Graduate School of Medical and Dental Sciences, 8 35 1 Sakuragaoka, Kagoshima, 890 8544, Japan
World J Gastroenterol 13:3925-31. 2007..To examine the role of E-cadherin and beta-catenin in carcinogenesis and to assess their prognostic implication in Epstein-Barr virus-associated gastric carcinomas (EBV-GCs)...
- Analytical detection of immunoglobulin heavy chain gene rearrangements in gastric lymphoid infiltrates by peak area analysis of the melting curve in the LightCycler SystemEduardo Retamales
Departamento Laboratorio de Salud, Instituto Salud Publica de Chile, Santiago, Chile
J Mol Diagn 9:351-7. 2007....
- Human papillomavirus-16 is integrated in lung carcinomas: a study in ChileF Aguayo
Division of Oncogenic and Persistent Viruses, Center for Chronic Viral Diseases, Kagoshima University Graduate School of Medical and Dental Sciences, 8 35 1 Sakuragaoka, Kagoshima, 890 8544, Japan
Br J Cancer 97:85-91. 2007..Although the viral load was in general very low and HPV E6 expression is none or weak, further studies seem warranted to examine aetiological involvement of high-risk HPV in lung carcinogenesis...
- Epstein-Barr virus-associated primary lymphoepitheliomalike carcinoma of the esophagusJosé Rafael Valbuena
Department of Anatomic Pathology, Pontificia Universidad Catolica de Chile, Santiago, Chile
Diagn Mol Pathol 16:27-31. 2007..To our knowledge, this is the first report that describes this recombinant type "i"/XhoI loss EBV strain in a primary LELC of the esophagus...
- [Gene expression profiles for therapeutic decisions in breast cancer]Alejandro Corvalan
Laboratorio Biología Molecular, Departamento Anatomia Patologica, Pontificia Universidad Catolica de Chile, Santiago, Chile
Rev Med Chil 135:257-63. 2007..MINDACT is the first prospective effort to evaluate gene expression profiles in clinical practice. Our participation in this protocol, installs us in the first line of worldwide oncological investigation...
- Frequent epigenetic inactivation of chromosome 3p candidate tumor suppressor genes in gallbladder carcinomaErick Riquelme
Department of Anatomic Pathology, Pontificia Universidad Catolica de Chile, 85 Lira St Santiago 133202, Chile
Cancer Lett 250:100-6. 2007..We conclude that epigenetic inactivation by abnormal promoter methylation is a frequent event in chromosome 3p candidate TSGs in GBC pathogenesis, especially affecting genes SEMA3B (3p21.3) and FHIT (3p14.2)...
- Recent patents of DNA methylation biomarkers in gastrointestinal oncologyAlejandro H Corvalan
Department of Hematology Oncology, School of Medicine, Pontificia Universidad Catolica de Chile, Santiago 8330074 Chile
Recent Pat DNA Gene Seq 4:202-9. 2010..Thus the new field of DNA methylation biomarkers holds the promise of better methods for screening, early detection, disease progression and outcome predictor of therapy response in gastrointestinal oncology...
- High-risk HPV infection after five years in a population-based cohort of Chilean womenCatterina Ferreccio
División de Salud Pública y Medicina Familiar, Escuela de Medicina Pontificia Universidad Católica de Chile, Marcoleta 434, Santiago 8330073, Chile
Infect Agent Cancer 6:21. 2011..abstract:..
- Human papillomavirus and Epstein-Barr virus infections in breast cancer from chileFrancisco Aguayo
Virology Program, I, C, B, M, Faculty of Medicine, University of Chile, Independencia 1027, Santiago 838 9100, Chile
Infect Agent Cancer 6:7. 2011..abstract:..
- [Clinical and molecular features of cardial gastric cancer associated to Epstein Barr virus]Alejandro Corvalan
Departamento de Anatomia Patologica, Pontificia Universidad Catolica de Chile, Santiago, Chile
Rev Med Chil 133:753-60. 2005..Mortality caused by cardial gastric cancer in Chile, is increasing. Previously we demonstrated an association between Epstein Barr virus and this specific location of gastric cancer...