- Chemotherapy alone may lead to a PCR negative stem cell harvest in transformed lymphoma refractory to rituximab
First Department of Internal Medicine, Institute of Biology, Charles University General Hospital, Prague, Czech Republic
Haematologica 88:ECR06. 2003
- Unusual sequence of VDJ rearrangement revealed by molecular analysis in a patient with indolent lymphoma
Roger Williams Medical Center, Department of Research, 825 Chalkstone Avenue, Providence, Rhode Island, 02908, USA
Haematologica 88:ECR15. 2003
..Our observations suggest that such a finding in an indolent lymphoma patient may precede transformation into an aggressive disease. Early detection by PCR could have substantial impact on the prognosis of such patients...
- Intrinsic hematopoietic stem cell/progenitor plasticity: Inversions
Gerald A Colvin
Roger Williams Medical Center, Department of Research, Adele Decof Cancer Center, Providence, Rhode Island 02908 4735, USA
J Cell Physiol 199:20-31. 2004
..These studies indicate that primitive marrow cells reversibly shift from ESC to progenitors without differentiation occurring. They exist as a fluctuating continuum...
- Biallelic IgH rearrangements in patients with indolent lymphoproliferative disorders: molecular and practical implications
1st Department of Internal Medicine, Charles University General Hospital, Prague, Czech Republic
J Cell Physiol 199:217-26. 2004
..Although we found some minor differences in disease characteristics between both groups, these did not translate into a significantly different overall survival. Our findings suggest that true biclonal cases of CLL are rare...
- Chromatin remodeling and stem cell theory of relativity
Department of Medicine, University of Massachusetts Medical School, Worcester, Massachusetts, USA
J Cell Physiol 201:1-16. 2004
..We are entering a new era of stem cell biology the era of "chromatinomics." We are one step closer to the practical use of cellular therapy for degenerative diseases...
- Rituximab based therapy followed by autologous stem cell transplantation leads to superior outcome and high rates of PCR negativity in patients with indolent B-cell lymphoproliferative disorders
Department of Medicine, Division of Hematology and Oncology, University of Massachusetts Medical School, 55 Lake Avenue North, Worcester, MA 01655, USA
Hematology 14:187-97. 2009
..Rituximab based therapy induces MR in high number of patients, which can be further improved by ASCT and patients have an excellent outcome. PCR positive harvest represents a high risk of relapse after ASCT...
- Prognosis of patients with chronic coronary artery disease and severe left ventricular dysfunction. The importance of myocardial viability
First Department of Internal Medicine, Masaryk University, St Anna Hospital, Pekarska 53, Brno, Czech Republic
Eur J Heart Fail 5:85-93. 2003
- Murine allogeneic in vivo stem cell homing(,)
Gerald A Colvin
Department of Research, Roger Williams Medical Center, Providence, Rhode Island, USA
J Cell Physiol 211:386-91. 2007
..These data indicate a rapid homing into allogeneic recipients with a plateau at 1 h. The decline of secondary engraftability over time may indicate a phenotype alteration of homed cells...
- Mutations in bone marrow-derived stromal stem cells unmask latent malignancy
Department of Medicine, Division of Gastroenterology, University of Massachusetts Medical School, Worcester, Massachusetts 01635, USA
Stem Cells Dev 19:1153-66. 2010
..The significant synergy between host immunity and mesenchymal cells identified here may restructure treatments to restore an anticancer microenvironment...
- Anaplastic lymphoma kinase-positive large B-cell lymphoma with complex karyotype and novel ALK gene rearrangements
Department of Pathology and Department of Hospital Laboratories, UMass Memorial Medical Center and University of Massachusetts Medical School, Worcester, MA 01605, USA
Hum Pathol 42:1562-7. 2011
..1. This case broadens the cytogenetic alterations in anaplastic lymphoma kinase-positive large B-cell lymphoma, and it also demonstrates the high genetic instability of this tumor...
- The utility of flow cytometric immunophenotyping in cytopenic patients with a non-diagnostic bone marrow: a prospective study
Department of Pathology, UMass Memorial Medical Center, University of Massachusetts School of Medicine, Worcester, MA, USA
Leuk Res 33:1039-46. 2009
- The Blk pathway functions as a tumor suppressor in chronic myeloid leukemia stem cells
Department of Medicine, Division of Hematology Oncology, University of Massachusetts Medical School, Worcester, Massachusetts, USA
Nat Genet 44:861-71. 2012
..Blk also suppresses the proliferation of human CML stem cells. Our results show the feasibility of selectively targeting LSCs, an approach that should be applicable to other cancers...
- Clinicopathological features of extramedullary recurrence/relapse of multiple myeloma
Division of Hematology Oncology, Department of Internal Medicine, UMass Memorial Medical Center, University of Massachusetts School of Medicine, Worcester, MA 01605, USA
Eur J Haematol 81:65-9. 2008
..Our case series shows that extramedullary relapse of MM is characterized by high-grade histology, loss of CD56 expression, frequent resistance to current therapeutic regimens, aggressive biological behavior, and very short survival...
- Current treatment options: impact of cytogenetics on the course of myelodysplasia
Radhey Khanna MDS Center, Division of Hematology, University of Massachusetts Medical Center, 364 Plantation Street, Worcester, MA 01605, USA
Curr Treat Options Oncol 8:117-28. 2007
..In the absence of these specific cytogenetic abnormalities described above, the two FDA approved hypomethylating agents 5 azacytidine and decitabine should be considered as therapeutic alternatives...
- Prognostic importance of the quantification of myocardial viability in revascularized patients with coronary artery disease and moderate-to-severe left ventricular dysfunction
First Department of Internal Medicine, Masaryk University, St Anna Hospital, Pekarska 53, 65691 Brno, Czech Republic
Int J Cardiol 90:23-31; discussion 31-2. 2003
..In conclusion, in revascularized patients with coronary artery disease and moderate-to-severe left ventricular dysfunction, the presence of >or=6 dysfunctional but viable segments identifies patients with the best prognosis...
- New polyene macrolide family produced by submerged culture of Streptomyces durmitorensis
Institute of Microbiology, Academy of Sciences of the Czech Republic v v i, Prague, Czech Republic
J Antibiot (Tokyo) 64:717-22. 2011
..Striking feature of DDHR is its internal fluorescence allowing visualization of labeled plasma membranes and internal membrane structures...
- Chronic myelomonocytic leukemia evolving from preexisting myelodysplasia shares many features with de novo disease
Sa A Wang
Department of Medicine, University of Massachusetts Medical Center, Worcester, MA 01605, USA
Am J Clin Pathol 126:789-97. 2006
..These findings indicate that in some cases of otherwise typical MDS, the progenitor cells may have some capacity for monocytic proliferation at diagnosis and manifest rapid disease progression once a monocytic proliferation supervenes...
- Coronary vasospasm with myocardial stunning in a patient with colon cancer receiving adjuvant chemotherapy with FOLFOX regimen
Department of Medicine, Division of Hematology and Oncology, University of Massachusetts Medical School, Worcester 01655 0002, USA
Clin Colorectal Cancer 8:55-8. 2009
..Similarly, there is no uniform management of this 5-FU-related induced cardiotoxicity. We believe that our case report, with a brief review of related literature, might help fill some of this vacuum...
- Homing and conversion of murine hematopoietic stem cells to lung
Department of Research and Medicine and the Decof Cancer Center, Roger Williams Medical Center, Providence, RI 029908 4735, USA
Blood Cells Mol Dis 32:47-51. 2004
..Altogether these data suggest that homing of marrow cell to nonmarrow organs may fluctuate with cell cycle transit and that there is a lung homing hotspot in mid-S...
- Molecular characterization of chronic lymphocytic leukemia with two distinct cell populations: Evidence for separate clonal origins
Department of Laboratory Hematology, University Health Network and University of Toronto, Toronto, Canada
Am J Clin Pathol 126:23-8. 2006
..Our results demonstrated that the immunophenotypically different cell populations originated from 2 separate clones...
- Daclizumab in the induction phase of immunosuppression in heart transplant recipients
Center of Cardiovascular and Transplant Surgery, Brno, Czech Republic
Ann Transplant 10:5-10. 2005
..Acute rejection episodes negatively effect both short-term survival and development of graft vasculopathy...
- Repertoire of antibody response in bone marrow and the memory response are differentially affected in aging mice
Yi Feng Lu
Department of Microbiology and Immunology, University of Maryland School of Medicine, Baltimore 21201, USA
J Immunol 169:4920-7. 2002
..It is postulated that the Ab repertoire maturation in aged mice is delayed and may be notably improved by repeated immunizations...
- T-cell engagement of dendritic cells rapidly rearranges MHC class II transport
Department of Pathology, Harvard Medical School, 200 Longwood Avenue, Boston, Massachusetts 02115, USA
Nature 418:983-8. 2002
..We propose that such tubulation serves to facilitate the ensuing T-cell response...