- Comparison between the standard and a new alternative format of the Summary-of-Findings tables in Cochrane review users: study protocol for a randomized controlled trial
Department of Clinical Epidemiology and Biostatistics, McMaster University, Hamilton, ON, Canada
Trials 16:164. 2015
..However, it has been suggested that additional methods to present risks and display results in the Summary-of-Findings tables are needed...
- A methodological survey of the analysis, reporting and interpretation of Absolute Risk ReductiOn in systematic revieWs (ARROW): a study protocol
Iberoamerican Cochrane Centre, Institute of Biomedical Research IIB Sant Pau, Barcelona, Spain
Syst Rev 2:113. 2013
..The objectives of our study are to determine the proportion of systematic reviews that report absolute measures of effect for the most important outcomes, and ascertain how they are analyzed, reported and interpreted...
- Learning from failure--rationale and design for a study about discontinuation of randomized trials (DISCO study)
Basel Institute for Clinical Epidemiology and Biostatistics, University Hospital Basel, Basel, Switzerland
BMC Med Res Methodol 12:131. 2012
..Currently, little is known regarding the frequency and characteristics of discontinued RCTs...
- Secondary versus primary closure techniques for the prevention of postoperative complications following removal of impacted mandibular third molars: a systematic review and meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials
Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery and Evidence Based Dentistry Unit, Faculty of Dentistry, Universidad de Chile, Santiago, Chile
J Oral Maxillofac Surg 70:e441-57. 2012
..To determine the impact of secondary versus primary closure techniques on the frequency and severity of pain, facial swelling, trismus, infectious complications, and postoperative bleeding after impacted mandibular third molar extraction...
- Is adjuvant laser therapy effective for preventing pain, swelling, and trismus after surgical removal of impacted mandibular third molars? A systematic review and meta-analysis
Department of Health Policy, Management, and Evaluation, University of Toronto, Toronto, ON, Canada
J Oral Maxillofac Surg 70:1789-801. 2012
..To assess the efficacy and safety of low-level laser energy irradiation (LLEI) for decreasing pain, swelling, and trismus after surgical removal of impacted mandibular third molars (IMTMs)...
- Positive association between conflicts of interest and reporting of positive results in randomized clinical trials in dentistry
Dr Brignardello Petersen is a lecturer, Faculty of Dentistry, Universidad de Chile, Santiago, and a PhD student, Institute of Health Policy, Management and Evaluation, University of Toronto Address reprint requests to Dr Brignardello Petersen at Sergio Livingstone Pohlhammer 943, Independencia, Santiago, Chile
J Am Dent Assoc 144:1165-70. 2013
..The relationship between industry funding and study results has been explored widely in medicine but not in dentistry. The authors aimed to assess the relationship between conflicts of interest (COIs) and study results...
- Effects of probiotics in periodontal diseases: a systematic review
Evidence Based Dentistry Unit, School of Dentistry, Universidad de Chile, Sergio Livingstone 943 Independencia, Santiago, Chile
Clin Oral Investig 17:1627-34. 2013
..This study was designed to determine the effects of probiotics in prevention and/or treatment of periodontal diseases...
- Oral health care for patients with epidermolysis bullosa--best clinical practice guidelines
Susanne M Krämer
Department of Paediatric Dentistry, Facultad de Odontologia, Universidad de Chile, Santiago, Chile
Int J Paediatr Dent 22:1-35. 2012
..To provide the users with information on the current best practices for managing the oral health care of people living with EB...
- A practical approach to evidence-based dentistry: How to search for evidence to inform clinical decisions
Dr Brignardello Petersen is a lecturer, Faculty of Dentistry, University of Chile, Santiago, and a doctoral student, Institute of Health Policy, Management and Evaluation, University of Toronto
J Am Dent Assoc 145:1262-7. 2014
..In this article, the authors describe the process of searching for evidence: defining the question, identifying the question's nature and main components, and selecting the study design that best addresses the question...
- The GRADE approach is reproducible in assessing the quality of evidence of quantitative evidence syntheses
Reem A Mustafa
Department of Clinical Epidemiology and Biostatistics, McMaster University, Hamilton, Ontario L8S 4K1, Canada
J Clin Epidemiol 66:736-42; quiz 742.e1-5. 2013
..We evaluated the inter-rater reliability (IRR) of assessing the quality of evidence (QoE) using the Grading of Recommendations, Assessment, Development, and Evaluation (GRADE) approach...
- A practitioner's guide to developing critical appraisal skills: what is the difference between clinical and statistical significance?
Evidence Based Dentistry Unit, Faculty of Dentistry, University of Chile, Santiago
J Am Dent Assoc 144:780-6. 2013
..It is common to find published studies in which the authors claim to have found significant results. However, many times these results are only statistically significant with no meaningful impact in clinical settings...
- Hip protectors for preventing hip fractures in older people
Department of Clinical Epidemiology and Biostatistics, McMaster University, 1200 Main Street West, Hamilton, Ontario, Canada, L8N 3Z5
Cochrane Database Syst Rev 3:CD001255. 2014
..Hip protectors are plastic shields (hard) or foam pads (soft), usually fitted in pockets in specially designed underwear.This is an update of a Cochrane review first published in 1999, and updated several times, most recently in 2010...
- Effectiveness of cognitive behavioral therapy for depression in patients receiving disability benefits: a systematic review and individual patient data meta-analysis
Department of Clinical Epidemiology and Biostatistics, McMaster University, Hamilton, Canada
PLoS ONE 7:e50202. 2012