- Root repair review: basic science background and clinical outcome
University College London, The PNI Unit, The Royal National Orthopaedic Hospital, Brockley Hill Stanmore, Middlesex, HA7 4LP, UK
Restor Neurol Neurosci 26:225-41. 2008
..In order to improve this situation and achieve further recovery of useful function including sensory perceptions and to fully alleviate pain it is necessary to pursue research and development of both basic and clinical science...
- The longitudinal spinal cord injury: Lessons from intraspinal plexus, cauda equina and medullary conus lesions
Royal National Orthopaedic Hospital and National Hospital for Neurology and Neurosurgery, London, UK Electronic address
Handb Clin Neurol 109:337-54. 2012
..This is the first example of a spinal cord lesion that can be treated surgically, leading to restoration of somatic and autonomic activity and alleviation of pain...
- An overture to basic science aspects of nerve injuries
PNI Unit, Royal National Orthopaedic Hospital, Stanmore, UK
J Hand Surg Eur Vol 36:726-9. 2011
..attempts to artificially enhance nerve regeneration for instance in synthetical conduits like nature seen 'through a glass darkly'? Do you agree that new concepts in surgical treatment of nerve injury are timely? Do you have the time?..
- Return of spinal reflex after spinal cord surgery for brachial plexus avulsion injury
Department of Hand Surgery, Sodersjukhuset, Karolinska Institute, Stockholm, Sweden
J Neurosurg 116:414-7. 2012
..To the best of the authors' knowledge, this case represents the first time that spinal cord surgery could restore not only motor function but also proprioception completing a spinal reflex arch...
- Nerve root replantation
Imperial College, Hammersmith Hospital, London, UK
Neurosurg Clin N Am 20:39-50, vi. 2009
..In experimental studies, restoration of sensory connections with general improvement in the outcome from this surgery is pursued...
- Cortical activity and hand function restoration in a patient after spinal cord surgery
The PNI Unit, The Royal National Orthopaedic Hospital, Stanmore, UK
Nat Rev Neurol 5:571-4. 2009
..This study assessed the long-term outcome of spinal cord surgery undertaken on the patient, focusing on the restored hand function and related cortical activity. The study follows on from previous reports on the same patient...
- Restoration of hand function and so called "breathing arm" after intraspinal repair of C5-T1 brachial plexus avulsion injury. Case report
The Periphery Nerve Injury Unit, The Royal National Orthopaedic Hospital, Stanmore, United Kingdom
Neurosurg Focus 16:E7. 2004
..To the best of the authors' knowledge, the present case demonstrates, for the first time, that spinal cord surgery can restore hand function after a complete brachial plexus avulsion injury...
- Clinical prospects for transplantation of OECs in the repair of brachial and lumbosacral plexus injuries: opening a door
Spinal Repair Unit, Department of Brain Repair and Rehabilitation, UCL Institute of Neurology, University College London, Queen Square, London, UK
Exp Neurol 229:168-73. 2011
..This article is part of a Special Issue entitled: Understanding olfactory ensheathing glia and their prospect for nervous system repair...
- Novel strategies in brachial plexus repair after traumatic avulsion
Spinal Repair Unit, UCL Institute of Neurology, Queen Square, London, WC1N 3BG, UK
Br J Neurosurg 25:16-27. 2011
..We explore reconstructive techniques currently explored for the repair of brachial plexus avulsion and focus on the use of olfactory ensheathing cell transplantation as an adjunct treatment in brachial plexus repair...
- An experimental model of ventral root repair showing the beneficial effect of transplanting olfactory ensheathing cells
Institute of Neurology, University College London, and National Hospital for Neurology and Neurosurgery, London, England
Neurosurgery 60:734-40; discussion 740-1. 2007
- Co-treatment with riluzole and GDNF is necessary for functional recovery after ventral root avulsion injury
Department of Anatomy and Developmental Biology, University College London, WC1 6BT London, UK
Exp Neurol 187:359-66. 2004
..Thus, combination treatment may offer a new therapeutic strategy for treating patients with avulsion injury...
- Interaction of transplanted olfactory-ensheathing cells and host astrocytic processes provides a bridge for axons to regenerate across the dorsal root entry zone
Division of Neurobiology, Norman and Sadie Lee Research Centre, National Institute for Medical Research, MRC, London, UK
Exp Neurol 188:300-8. 2004
- Intradural repair of lumbar nerve roots for traumatic paraparesis leading to functional recovery
Royal National Orthopaedic Hospital, Brockley Hill Stanmore, London
J Spinal Disord Tech 21:553-6. 2008
..Case report and a literature review of intradural nerve graft repair of traumatic lacerations of lumbar nerve roots...
- Metabolic changes in the spinal cord after brachial plexus root re-implantation
UCL Institute of Neurology, London, UK
Neurorehabil Neural Repair 27:118-24. 2013
- Self-mutilation in patients after nerve injury may not be due to deafferentation pain: a case report
Department of Brain Repair and Rehabilitation, UCL Institute of Neurology, Queen Square, London, UK
Pain Med 12:1644-8. 2011
..We suggest that autotomy may not be a result of chronic pain, and discuss the human experience and alternative underlying pathological processes...