Richard P Whitlock
- Antithrombotic and thrombolytic therapy for valvular disease: Antithrombotic Therapy and Prevention of Thrombosis, 9th ed: American College of Chest Physicians Evidence-Based Clinical Practice GuidelinesRichard P Whitlock
Population Health Research Institute, McMaster University, David Braley Cardiac, Vascular, and Stroke Research Institute, 237 Barton St East, Room C1 114, Hamilton, ON, L8L 2X2, Canada
Chest 141:e576S-600S. 2012..Antithrombotic therapy in valvular disease is important to mitigate thromboembolism, but the hemorrhagic risk imposed must be considered...
- Effects of off-pump and on-pump coronary-artery bypass grafting at 1 yearAndre Lamy
The Population Health Research Institute, Hamilton Health Sciences, McMaster University, Hamilton, ON, Canada
N Engl J Med 368:1179-88. 2013..We now report results on quality of life and cognitive function and on clinical outcomes at 1 year...
- Subtle differences in commercial heparins can have serious consequences for cardiopulmonary bypass patients: A randomized controlled trialKyle A Arsenault
McMaster University Michael G DeGroote School of Medicine, Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 144:944-950.e3. 2012..To compare the potency, reversibility, and perioperative bleeding risk of Hepalean with those of PPC heparin...
- Clinical benefit of steroid use in patients undergoing cardiopulmonary bypass: a meta-analysis of randomized trialsRichard P Whitlock
Division of Cardiac Surgery, McMaster University, Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
Eur Heart J 29:2592-600. 2008..These data do not raise major safety concerns, however, a sufficiently powered trial is warranted to confirm or refute these findings...
- Off-pump or on-pump coronary-artery bypass grafting at 30 daysAndre Lamy
Population Health Research Institute, Hamilton Health Sciences, McMaster University, Hamilton, ON, Canada
N Engl J Med 366:1489-97. 2012..The relative benefits and risks of performing coronary-artery bypass grafting (CABG) with a beating-heart technique (off-pump CABG), as compared with cardiopulmonary bypass (on-pump CABG), are not clearly established...
- Randomized trial of aspirin and clopidogrel versus aspirin alone for the prevention of coronary artery bypass graft occlusion: the Preoperative Aspirin and Postoperative Antiplatelets in Coronary Artery Bypass Grafting studyJack C J Sun
Division of Cardiac Surgery, McMaster University, Hamilton, Canada
Am Heart J 160:1178-84. 2010..We performed a pilot study measuring safety and efficacy outcomes of aspirin and clopidogrel therapy after CABG...
- Interventions for preventing post-operative atrial fibrillation in patients undergoing heart surgeryKyle A Arsenault
Department of Surgery, McMaster University, Hamilton, Canada
Cochrane Database Syst Rev 1:CD003611. 2013..We conducted an update to a 2004 Cochrane systematic review and meta-analysis of the literature to gain a better understanding of the effectiveness of these interventions...
- Direct thrombin inhibitors in cardiovascular diseaseKyle A Arsenault
Michael G DeGroote School of Medicine, McMaster University, 1280 Main Street West, Hamilton, ON L8S 4L8, Canada
Nat Rev Cardiol 9:402-14. 2012....
- Warfarin cessation before cardiopulmonary bypass: lessons learned from a randomized controlled trial of oral vitamin KRichard P Whitlock
Division of Cardiac Surgery, HHSC, McMaster University, Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
Ann Thorac Surg 84:103-8. 2007..Administration of preoperative oral vitamin K was investigated in a randomized, placebo-controlled trial. A post hoc analysis examined residual anti-Xa activity of enoxaparin bridging...
- Pro: Steroids should be used for cardiopulmonary bypassRichard P Whitlock
Division of Cardiac Surgery, McMaster University, Hamilton Health Sciences Corporation, Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
J Cardiothorac Vasc Anesth 19:250-4. 2005
- The use of transcutaneous oximetry to predict complications of chronic wound healing: a systematic review and meta-analysisKyle A Arsenault
Department of Surgery, McMaster University, Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
Wound Repair Regen 19:657-63. 2011..These results suggest that P(tc) O(2) measurements have independent prognostic value in the assessment of chronic wounds, but further research is required to confirm these findings and define an optimal threshold value...