Richard P Whitlock
- Efficacy and safety of early parenteral anticoagulation as a bridge to warfarin after mechanical valve replacementJ G Mathew
Dr Richard Whitlock, MD, PhD, David Braley Cardiac, Vascular and Stroke Research Institute, 237 Barton Street East, Room 1C1 114, Hamilton, Ontario, Canada, L8L 2X2, Tel 1 905 521 2100 40306, E mail
Thromb Haemost 112:1120-8. 2014..5 to 3-fold increased risk of major bleeding compared with prophylactic dose bridging. ..
- SodiUm SeleniTe Adminstration IN Cardiac Surgery (SUSTAIN CSX-trial): study design of an international multicenter randomized double-blinded controlled trial of high dose sodium-selenite administration in high-risk cardiac surgical patientsChristian Stoppe
Department of Anesthesiology, University Hospital of the RWTH Aachen, Pauwelsstrase 30, 52074 Aachen, Germany
Trials 15:339. 2014..Thus, a large-scale study is needed to investigate the effect of perioperative selenium supplementation on the occurrence of postoperative organ dysfunction...
- Association between angiotensin converting enzyme inhibitor or angiotensin receptor blocker use prior to major elective surgery and the risk of acute dialysisMitesh Shah
Division of Nephrology, Department of Medicine, Western University, London, Canada
BMC Nephrol 15:53. 2014..Some studies but not others suggest angiotensin converting enzyme inhibitor (ACEi) or angiotensin receptor blocker (ARB) use prior to major surgery associates with a higher risk of postoperative acute kidney injury (AKI) and death...
- Rationale and design of the steroids in cardiac surgery trialRichard Whitlock
Population Health Research Institute, McMaster University Hamilton Health Sciences, Hamilton, Canada Electronic address
Am Heart J 167:660-5. 2014..Steroids may improve outcomes in high-risk patients undergoing cardiac surgery with the use of cardiopulmonary bypass (CBP). There is a need\ for a large randomized controlled trial to clarify the effect of steroids in such patients...
- Left Atrial Appendage Occlusion Study II (LAAOS II)Richard P Whitlock
Population Health Research Institute, Hamilton Health Sciences McMaster University, Hamilton, Ontario, Canada Electronic address
Can J Cardiol 29:1443-7. 2013..The Left Atrial Appendage Occlusion Study II (LAAOS II) explored the feasibility of a definitive trial of LAA occlusion for stroke prevention in AF...
- Processed residual pump blood in cardiac surgery: the Processed Residual Blood in Cardiac surgery trialRichard Whitlock
McMaster University, Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
Transfusion 53:1487-92. 2013..We sought to establish if processing residual CPB volume with ultrafiltration reduces homologous blood transfusion and bleeding...
- Nonpharmacologic approaches to stroke prevention in atrial fibrillationRichard P Whitlock
Population Health Research Institute, McMaster University, Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
Can J Cardiol 29:S79-86. 2013..Future trials will need to address novel OAC therapy when comparing them with LAA exclusion, and large randomized trials will be required to ascertain indications for nonpharmacologic therapy in current practice. ..
- Antithrombotic and thrombolytic therapy for valvular disease: Antithrombotic Therapy and Prevention of Thrombosis, 9th ed: American College of Chest Physicians Evidence-Based Clinical Practice GuidelinesRichard P Whitlock
Population Health Research Institute, McMaster University, David Braley Cardiac, Vascular, and Stroke Research Institute, 237 Barton St East, Room C1 114, Hamilton, ON, L8L 2X2, Canada
Chest 141:e576S-600S. 2012..Antithrombotic therapy in valvular disease is important to mitigate thromboembolism, but the hemorrhagic risk imposed must be considered...
- Effects of off-pump and on-pump coronary-artery bypass grafting at 1 yearAndre Lamy
The Population Health Research Institute, Hamilton Health Sciences, McMaster University, Hamilton, ON, Canada
N Engl J Med 368:1179-88. 2013..We now report results on quality of life and cognitive function and on clinical outcomes at 1 year...
- Subtle differences in commercial heparins can have serious consequences for cardiopulmonary bypass patients: A randomized controlled trialKyle A Arsenault
McMaster University Michael G DeGroote School of Medicine, Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 144:944-950.e3. 2012..To compare the potency, reversibility, and perioperative bleeding risk of Hepalean with those of PPC heparin...
- Randomized trial of aspirin and clopidogrel versus aspirin alone for the prevention of coronary artery bypass graft occlusion: the Preoperative Aspirin and Postoperative Antiplatelets in Coronary Artery Bypass Grafting studyJack C J Sun
Division of Cardiac Surgery, McMaster University, Hamilton, Canada
Am Heart J 160:1178-84. 2010..We performed a pilot study measuring safety and efficacy outcomes of aspirin and clopidogrel therapy after CABG...
- Warfarin cessation before cardiopulmonary bypass: lessons learned from a randomized controlled trial of oral vitamin KRichard P Whitlock
Division of Cardiac Surgery, HHSC, McMaster University, Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
Ann Thorac Surg 84:103-8. 2007..Administration of preoperative oral vitamin K was investigated in a randomized, placebo-controlled trial. A post hoc analysis examined residual anti-Xa activity of enoxaparin bridging...
- Clinical benefit of steroid use in patients undergoing cardiopulmonary bypass: a meta-analysis of randomized trialsRichard P Whitlock
Division of Cardiac Surgery, McMaster University, Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
Eur Heart J 29:2592-600. 2008..These data do not raise major safety concerns, however, a sufficiently powered trial is warranted to confirm or refute these findings...
- Kidney function after off-pump or on-pump coronary artery bypass graft surgery: a randomized clinical trialAmit X Garg
Division of Nephrology, Department of Medicine, Western University, London, Ontario, Canada2Department of Epidemiology and Biostatistics, Western University, London, Ontario, Canada3Department of Clinical Epidemiology and Biostatistics, McMaster Universit
JAMA 311:2191-8. 2014..Such acute kidney injury is associated with lower long-term kidney function. However, it has not been demonstrated that an intervention that reduces the risk of such acute kidney injury better preserves long-term kidney function...
- Off-pump or on-pump coronary-artery bypass grafting at 30 daysAndre Lamy
Population Health Research Institute, Hamilton Health Sciences, McMaster University, Hamilton, ON, Canada
N Engl J Med 366:1489-97. 2012..The relative benefits and risks of performing coronary-artery bypass grafting (CABG) with a beating-heart technique (off-pump CABG), as compared with cardiopulmonary bypass (on-pump CABG), are not clearly established...
- Pro: Steroids should be used for cardiopulmonary bypassRichard P Whitlock
Division of Cardiac Surgery, McMaster University, Hamilton Health Sciences Corporation, Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
J Cardiothorac Vasc Anesth 19:250-4. 2005
- Interventions for preventing post-operative atrial fibrillation in patients undergoing heart surgeryKyle A Arsenault
Department of Surgery, McMaster University, Hamilton, Canada
Cochrane Database Syst Rev 1:CD003611. 2013..We conducted an update to a 2004 Cochrane systematic review and meta-analysis of the literature to gain a better understanding of the effectiveness of these interventions...
- Direct thrombin inhibitors in cardiovascular diseaseKyle A Arsenault
Michael G DeGroote School of Medicine, McMaster University, 1280 Main Street West, Hamilton, ON L8S 4L8, Canada
Nat Rev Cardiol 9:402-14. 2012....
- Preoperative intra-aortic balloon pump in patients undergoing coronary bypass surgery: a systematic review and meta-analysisAdel M Dyub
Division of Cardiac Surgery, McMaster University, Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
J Card Surg 23:79-86. 2008..The primary outcome was hospital mortality and secondary outcomes were IABP-related complications (bleeding, leg ischemia, aortic dissection)...
- Warfarin-associated multiple digital necrosis complicating heparin-induced thrombocytopenia and Raynaud's phenomenon after aortic valve replacement for adenocarcinoma-associated thrombotic endocarditisTheodore E Warkentin
Department of Pathology and Molecular Medicine, McMaster University, Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
Am J Hematol 75:56-62. 2004....
- The use of transcutaneous oximetry to predict complications of chronic wound healing: a systematic review and meta-analysisKyle A Arsenault
Department of Surgery, McMaster University, Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
Wound Repair Regen 19:657-63. 2011..These results suggest that P(tc) O(2) measurements have independent prognostic value in the assessment of chronic wounds, but further research is required to confirm these findings and define an optimal threshold value...
- Para-aortic arch abscess secondary to Staphylococcus aureus pneumoniaKaren K Koo
Department of Critical Care Medicine, McMaster University, Hamilton, Canada
Can J Cardiol 25:233-6. 2009..The patient was successfully managed nonsurgically with computed tomography-guided drainage and intravenous antibiotics...