- Cardiac autonomic activity and blood pressure among Nunavik Inuit adults exposed to environmental mercury: a cross-sectional studyBeatriz Valera
Public Health Research Unit, 2875 boulevard Laurier, Edifice Delta 2, bureau 600, G1V 2M2, Quebec QC, Canada
Environ Health 7:29. 2008..MeHg has been suggested to affect BP in adults and children while the influence on HRV has only been studied in children. We aimed to assess the impact of MeHg levels on HRV and BP in Inuit adults from Nunavik...
- Influence of mercury exposure on blood pressure, resting heart rate and heart rate variability in French Polynesians: a cross-sectional studyBeatriz Valera
Axe Santé des Populations et Environnement, Centre de recherche du CHUQ, 2875 boulevard Laurier, Québec G1V 2M2, Canada
Environ Health 10:99. 2011..Populations which diet is rich in seafood are highly exposed to contaminants such as mercury, which could affect cardiovascular risk factors..
- Associations between plasma persistent organic pollutant levels and blood pressure in Inuit adults from NunavikBeatriz Valera
Axe Santé Publique et Pratiques Optimales en Santé, Centre de Recherche du CHU de Québec, Canada
Environ Int 59:282-9. 2013..High POP levels have been detected in Arctic populations and the exposure is related to high consumption of fish and marine mammals, which represent the traditional diet of these populations...
- Exposure to persistent organic pollutants and risk of hypertension among Inuit from GreenlandBeatriz Valera
National Institute of Public Health, Copenhagen, Denmark
Environ Res 122:65-73. 2013..Epidemiological and experimental studies have reported significant associations between POPs and increased blood pressure (BP) in populations with different degrees of exposure...
- Association between methylmercury and cardiovascular risk factors in a native population of Quebec (Canada): a retrospective evaluationBeatriz Valera
Axe santé des populations et environnementale, Centre de recherche du CHUQ, Edifice Delta 2, 2875, boulevard Laurier, 6e étage, Sainte Foy, Quebec, Canada G1V 2M2
Environ Res 120:102-8. 2013..This issue is of concern in Arctic populations such as in the Inuit of Nunavik since this contaminant is accumulated in fish and marine mammals, which still represent the subsistence diet of this population...
- Environmental mercury exposure and blood pressure among Nunavik Inuit adultsBeatriz Valera
Axe Santé des Populations et Environnement, Centre de Recherche du Centre Hospitalier Universitaire de Québec, Quebec, Canada
Hypertension 54:981-6. 2009..96; P=0.069). In conclusion, mercury is associated with increasing BP and pulse pressure among Nunavik Inuit adults after considering the effect of fish nutrients (n-3 fatty acids and selenium) and other confounders...
- Influence of n-3 fatty acids on cardiac autonomic activity among Nunavik Inuit adultsBeatriz Valera
Axe Santé des Populations et Environnement, Centre de recherche du CHUQ, Quebec, QC G1V 2M2, Canada
Int J Circumpolar Health 70:6-18. 2011..The study assessed the impact of n-3 PUFAs (Docosahexaenoic [DHA] and Eicosapentaenoic acid [EPA]) on resting HR and HRV among Nunavik Inuit adults considering mercury and other potential confounders...
- Daily steps threshold to improve cardiovascular disease risk factors during the year after an acute coronary syndromeJulie Houle
Nursing Department, Universite du Quebec a Trois Rivieres, Dr Houle, Axe Santé Publique et Pratiques Optimales en Santé, Centre de recherche du CHUQ, Dr Valera, Institut universitaire de cardiologie et pneumologie de Québec Ms Gaudet Savard and Dr Poirier, and Faculty of Pharmacy, Laval University, Quebec City Ms Auclair and Dr Poirier, Quebec, Canada
J Cardiopulm Rehabil Prev 33:406-10. 2013..To evaluate the daily steps threshold associated with improved cardiovascular disease risk factors during the first year following an acute coronary syndrome...