Affiliation: University of Ottawa
- Cancer screening and life expectancy of Canadian patients with kidney failureSahar Kajbaf
Division of Nephrology, Department of Medicine, Loeb Research Institute, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Nephrol Dial Transplant 17:1786-9. 2002..The purpose of this study was to determine if patients with ESRD benefit, in terms of life expectancy, by screening for breast and cervical cancer...
- Comparison of surgically removed cardiac valves of patients with ESRD with those of the general populationSahar Kajbaf
Ottawa Hospital, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Am J Kidney Dis 46:86-93. 2005..Similar findings have been reported for native and bioprosthetic cardiac valves surgically removed from patients without ESRD...
- Vitamin D and kidney transplant outcomes: a protocol for a systematic review and meta-analysisCaitlin C Hesketh
Department of Medicine, University of Ottawa, Ottawa, ON, Canada
Syst Rev 3:64. 2014..The effect of vitamin D on other indicators of transplant function, such as glomerular filtration rate and acute rejection, remains unknown...
- Dialysate calcium concentration and mineral metabolism in long and long-frequent hemodialysis: a systematic review and meta-analysis for a Canadian Society of Nephrology clinical practice guidelineDeborah L Zimmerman
Division of Nephrology, Kidney Research Centre of the Ottawa Hospital Research Institute, Division of Nephrology, University of Ottawa, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Am J Kidney Dis 62:97-111. 2013..More frequent and longer HD has been associated with improvement in hyperphosphatemia that may improve outcomes...
- Systematic review and meta-analysis of incidence, prevalence and outcomes of atrial fibrillation in patients on dialysisDeborah Zimmerman
Department of Medicine, Ottawa Hospital, University of Ottawa, Canada
Nephrol Dial Transplant 27:3816-22. 2012..The risks and benefits of warfarin anticoagulation need to be defined as the risk of bleeding in ESRD patients may overwhelm the benefits of embolic stroke prevention. We undertook a systematic literature review to clarify these issues...
- The influence of socio-demographic factors, treatment perceptions and attitudes to living donation on willingness to consider living kidney donor among kidney transplant candidatesDeborah Zimmerman
Department of Medicine, Division of Nephrology, University of Ottawa and the Kidney Research Centre of the Ottawa Hospital Research Institute at the Ottawa Hospital, Ottawa, ON, Canada
Nephrol Dial Transplant 21:2569-76. 2006..However, access to living donor transplantation remains variable. Our objective was to further our understanding of the factors associated with the willingness to consider living donor kidney transplant (LDKTx)...
- Vascular access for intensive maintenance hemodialysis: a systematic review for a Canadian Society of Nephrology clinical practice guidelineReem A Mustafa
Department of Clinical Epidemiology and Biostastistics, McMaster University, Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
Am J Kidney Dis 62:112-31. 2013..Practices in vascular access management with intensive hemodialysis may differ from those used in conventional hemodialysis...
- Intensive hemodialysis associates with improved survival compared with conventional hemodialysisGihad E Nesrallah
Division of Nephrology, University of Western Ontario, London, Ontario, Canada
J Am Soc Nephrol 23:696-705. 2012..In conclusion, there is a strong association between intensive home hemodialysis and improved survival, but whether this relationship is causal remains unknown...
- Warfarin and aortic valve calcification in hemodialysis patientsRachel M Holden
Division of Nephrology, Queen s University, Kingston, Ontario, Canada
J Nephrol 20:417-22. 2007..This retrospective cohort study was designed to determine the association between long-term exposure to warfarin and severity of aortic valve (AV) calcification in hemodialysis (HD) patients...
- International practice patterns and factors associated with non-conventional hemodialysis utilizationNathan Allen
Department of Medicine, Section of Nephrology, St Boniface Hospital, University of Manitoba, Winnipeg, Canada
BMC Nephrol 12:66. 2011....
- Warfarin anticoagulation in hemodialysis patients: a systematic review of bleeding ratesMeghan J Elliott
Division of Nephrology, Queen s University, Kingston, Ontario, Canada
Am J Kidney Dis 50:433-40. 2007..Despite common use of warfarin, the bleeding risk associated with this treatment in hemodialysis (HD) patients is unknown...
- Left ventricular growth after 1 year of haemodialysis does not correlate with arteriovenous access flow: a prospective cohort studySwapnil Hiremath
Division of Nephrology, Kidney Research Centre, Ottawa Health Research Institute, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Nephrol Dial Transplant 25:2656-61. 2010..The purpose of this study was to determine if blood flow through an arteriovenous (AV) access contributes to an increase in left ventricular mass (LVM) that may increase the risk of congestive heart failure...
- Hemodialysis monitoring in whole blood using transmission and diffuse reflection spectroscopy: A pilot studyNeil Lagali
University of Ottawa Eye Institute, Ottawa Health Research Institute, Ottawa, Ontario K1H 8L6, Canada
J Biomed Opt 11:054003. 2006..Moreover, the optical techniques employed are adaptable for potential online monitoring of blood changes during the hemodialysis treatment...
- Rationale for a home dialysis virtual ward: design and implementationMichael E Schachter
Department of Medicine, Division of Nephrology, University Health Network, 200 Elizabeth Street, Toronto, ON M5G 2C4, Canada
BMC Nephrol 15:33. 2014..We aim to implement a Home Dialysis Virtual Ward (HDVW) strategy, which is targeted to minimize gaps of care...
- The International Quotidian Dialysis Registry: Annual report 2008Gihad E Nesrallah
Department of Nephrology, Humber River Regional Hospital, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Hemodial Int 12:281-9. 2008..This report is the fourth annual update and describes recruitment progress, baseline characteristics of enrolled patients, and worldwide prescription patterns...
- Gabapentin-induced myopathy in 2 patients on short daily hemodialysisJennifer Lipson
Ottawa Hospital, Department of Medicine, Kidney Research Centre, University of Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Am J Kidney Dis 45:e100-4. 2005..To our knowledge, this is the first case report of an increase in creatine kinase level after the administration of gabapentin...
- Fluoroscopic manipulation of peritoneal dialysis catheters: outcomes and factors associated with successful manipulationMatthew Miller
Division of Nephrology, McMaster University, Hamilton, Canada
Clin J Am Soc Nephrol 7:795-800. 2012..The purpose of this study was to determine the efficacy of fluoroscopic manipulation of previously embedded PD catheters, the factors associated with successful manipulation, and the complication rate associated with manipulation...
- Vascular smooth muscle cell differentiation to an osteogenic phenotype involves TRPM7 modulation by magnesiumAugusto C Montezano
OHRI University of Ottawa, 451 Smyth Road, Ottawa, K1H 8M5 Ontario, Canada
Hypertension 56:453-62. 2010..New molecular insights are provided whereby magnesium could protect against VSMC calcification...
- Seeing eye to eye: the key to reducing catheter useMaryum Chaudhry
University Health Network Toronto General Hospital and the University of Toronto, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
J Vasc Access 12:120-6. 2011..Hemodialysis central venous catheters (CVCs) are increasingly used, despite a prevalence target of <10%. The primary aim of our study was to understand why patients persistently use their CVCs...
- Design and implementation of the Canadian Kidney Disease Cohort Study (CKDCS): A prospective observational study of incident hemodialysis patientsAminu K Bello
Department of Medicine, University of Alberta, Edmonton, Canada
BMC Nephrol 12:10. 2011..This study focuses on delineating potentially reversible determinants of adverse outcomes that occur in patients receiving dialysis for end-stage renal disease (ESRD)...
- Identification of plasma antifibrin/fibrinogen antibodies in a patient with hemolytic uremic syndromeGail Rock
Division of Hematology and Transfusion Medicine, University of Ottawa, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Blood Coagul Fibrinolysis 17:539-44. 2006..This patient's plasma contained a platelet-aggregating factor that was removed by immunoglobulin absorption. She developed antibodies against the alpha and beta subunits of fibrin/fibrinogen...