Affiliation: University of Toronto
- Koga K, Liu M, Qiu S, Song Q, O Den G, Chen T, et al. Impaired presynaptic long-term potentiation in the anterior cingulate cortex of Fmr1 knock-out mice. J Neurosci. 2015;35:2033-43 pubmed publisher..Our results demonstrate that FMRP plays an important role in pre-LTP in the adult mouse ACC, and loss of this pre-LTP may explain some of the behavioral deficits in Fmr1 KO mice. ..
- Song Q, Liu M, Zhuo M. Minocycline does not affect long-term potentiation in the anterior cingulate cortex of normal adult mice. Mol Pain. 2015;11:25 pubmed publisher..Our results suggest that minocycline does not affect cingulate plasticity and neurons are the major player in pain-related cortical plasticity. ..
- Chen T, O Den G, Song Q, Koga K, Zhang M, Zhuo M. Adenylyl cyclase subtype 1 is essential for late-phase long term potentiation and spatial propagation of synaptic responses in the anterior cingulate cortex of adult mice. Mol Pain. 2014;10:65 pubmed publisher..It also provides basic mechanisms for possible side effects of gabapentin in the central nervous system and its ineffectiveness in some patients with neuropathic pain. ..
- Darvish Ghane S, Yamanaka M, Zhuo M. Dopaminergic Modulation of Excitatory Transmission in the Anterior Cingulate Cortex of Adult Mice. Mol Pain. 2016;12: pubmed publisher..Our finding posits a pre- and postsynaptic mode of pyramidal neuron EPSC modulation in mice ACC by DA. ..
- Ko H, Choi J, Park D, Kang S, Lim C, Sim S, et al. Rapid Turnover of Cortical NCAM1 Regulates Synaptic Reorganization after Peripheral Nerve Injury. Cell Rep. 2018;22:748-759 pubmed publisher..Our results, therefore, demonstrate a synaptic mechanism for cortical reorganization and suggest potential avenues for neuropathic pain treatment. ..
- Zhuo M. Ionotropic glutamate receptors contribute to pain transmission and chronic pain. Neuropharmacology. 2017;112:228-234 pubmed publisher..This article is part of the Special Issue entitled 'Ionotropic glutamate receptors'. ..
- Koga K, Li S, Zhuo M. Metabotropic Glutamate Receptor Dependent Cortical Plasticity in Chronic Pain. Curr Neuropharmacol. 2016;14:427-34 pubmed..We propose that targeting mGluRs in the cortical areas including the ACC and IC may provide a new therapeutic strategy for the treatment of chronic pain, phantom pain or anxiety. ..
- Kang S, Kwak C, Lee J, Sim S, Shim J, Choi T, et al. Bidirectional modulation of hyperalgesia via the specific control of excitatory and inhibitory neuronal activity in the ACC. Mol Brain. 2015;8:81 pubmed publisher..Our results provide direct evidence of the pivotal role of ACC excitatory neurons, and their regulation by PV expressing interneurons, in nociception. ..
- Koga K, Yao I, Setou M, Zhuo M. SCRAPPER Selectively Contributes to Spontaneous Release and Presynaptic Long-Term Potentiation in the Anterior Cingulate Cortex. J Neurosci. 2017;37:3887-3895 pubmed publisher..Our recent study found that a presynaptic form of LTP (pre-LTP) in the ACC contributes to chronic pain-induced anxiety. Here, we show that SCRAPPER plays a critical role in ACC pre-LTP as well as synaptic transmission. ..
- Tian Z, Yamanaka M, Bernabucci M, Zhao M, Zhuo M. Characterization of serotonin-induced inhibition of excitatory synaptic transmission in the anterior cingulate cortex. Mol Brain. 2017;10:21 pubmed publisher..Our results strongly suggest that presynaptic as well as postsynaptic 5-HT receptor including 5-HT1A subtype receptor may contribute to inhibitory modulation of glutamate release as well as postsynaptic responses in the ACC. ..
- Zhuo M. Plasticity of NMDA receptor NR2B subunit in memory and chronic pain. Mol Brain. 2009;2:4 pubmed publisher..A positive feedback control of NR2B receptor subunit is proposed to explain cortical sensitization involved in chronic pain, but not learning and memory. ..
- Li X, Song Q, Chen Q, Lu J, Chen T, Zhuo M. Characterization of excitatory synaptic transmission in the anterior cingulate cortex of adult tree shrew. Mol Brain. 2017;10:58 pubmed publisher..Our studies provide the first report of the basal synaptic transmission in the ACC of adult tree shrew. ..
- Liu S, Zhang M, Cheng L, Shi J, Lu J, Zhuo M. Long-term upregulation of cortical glutamatergic AMPA receptors in a mouse model of chronic visceral pain. Mol Brain. 2015;8:76 pubmed publisher..Our results provide direct evidence for cortical AMPA receptors to contribute to zymosan-induced visceral and spontaneous pain and inhibition of AC1 activity may help to reduce chronic visceral pain. ..
- Kang S, Liu M, Shi T, Zhao M, Kaang B, Zhuo M. N-type voltage gated calcium channels mediate excitatory synaptic transmission in the anterior cingulate cortex of adult mice. Mol Pain. 2013;9:58 pubmed publisher..Our results provide strong evidence that N-type VGCCs mediate fast synaptic transmission in the ACC. ..
- Cao X, Mercaldo V, Li P, Wu L, Zhuo M. Facilitation of the inhibitory transmission by gastrin-releasing peptide in the anterior cingulate cortex. Mol Pain. 2010;6:52 pubmed publisher..Our results suggest that GRP receptor is an important regulator of inhibitory circuits in forebrain areas. ..