Affiliation: University of Saskatchewan
- Huang X, Christensen C, Yu P. Effects of conditioning temperature and time during the pelleting process on feed molecular structure, pellet durability index, and metabolic features of co-products from bio-oil processing in dairy cows. J Dairy Sci. 2015;98:4869-81 pubmed publisher..Future study is needed to detect how molecular structure changes affect nutrient availability in dairy cattle. ..
- Gomaa W, Mosaad G, Yu P. On a Molecular Basis, Investigate Association of Molecular Structure with Bioactive Compounds, Anti-Nutritional Factors and Chemical and Nutrient Profiles of Canola Seeds and Co-Products from Canola Processing: Comparison Crusher Plants within Canada. Nutrients. 2018;10: pubmed publisher..Generally, comparisons of oil seeds (canola seeds) and co-products (meal or pellets) in Canada, in China, and between Canada and China indicated the presence of variations among different crusher plants and bio-oil processing products. ..
- Yu P, Jonker A, Gruber M. Molecular basis of protein structure in proanthocyanidin and anthocyanin-enhanced Lc-transgenic alfalfa in relation to nutritive value using synchrotron-radiation FTIR microspectroscopy: a novel approach. Spectrochim Acta A Mol Biomol Spectrosc. 2009;73:846-53 pubmed publisher..Further study is needed to understand the relationship between these structural profiles and biological features such as protein nutrient availability, protein bypass and digestive behavior of livestock fed with this type of forage. ..
- Yu G, Warkentin T, Niu Z, Khan N, Yu P. Molecular basis of processing-induced changes in protein structure in relation to intestinal digestion in yellow and green type pea (Pisum sativum L.): A molecular spectroscopic analysis. Spectrochim Acta A Mol Biomol Spectrosc. 2015;151:980-8 pubmed publisher..This study shows that the molecular spectroscopy can be used as a rapid tool to screen the protein value of raw and heat-treated peas. ..
- Huang X, Khan N, Zhang X, Yu P. Effects of canola meal pellet conditioning temperature and time on ruminal and intestinal digestion, hourly effective degradation ratio, and potential nitrogen to energy synchronization in dairy cows. J Dairy Sci. 2015;98:8836-45 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, pelleting induced changes in rumen and intestinal digestion profiles, and altered the potential N to energy synchronization and hourly effective rumen degradation ratio of canola meal in dairy cattle. ..
- Sun B, Rahman M, Tar an B, Yu P. Determine effect of pressure heating on carbohydrate related molecular structures in association with carbohydrate metabolic profiles of cool-climate chickpeas using Globar spectroscopy. Spectrochim Acta A Mol Biomol Spectrosc. 2018;201:8-18 pubmed publisher..The carbohydrate molecular spectral profiles are associated with carbohydrate metabolic profiles in raw and pressure heated cool-climate chickpeas. ..
- Refat B, Christensen D, McKinnon J, Yang W, Beattie A, McAllister T, et al. Effect of fibrolytic enzymes on lactational performance, feeding behavior, and digestibility in high-producing dairy cows fed a barley silage-based diet. J Dairy Sci. 2018;101:7971-7979 pubmed publisher..The positive effect of adding FETR could benefit the dairy industry in western Canada, where barley silage-based diets are common. ..
- Lei Y, Hannoufa A, Yu P. The Use of Gene Modification and Advanced Molecular Structure Analyses towards Improving Alfalfa Forage. Int J Mol Sci. 2017;18: pubmed publisher..We also review the use of advanced molecular structural analysis in the assessment of alfalfa forage for its potential usage in quality selection in alfalfa breeding. ..
- Xu N, Liu J, Yu P. Using vibrational molecular spectroscopy to reveal association of steam-flaking induced carbohydrates molecular structural changes with grain fractionation, biodigestion and biodegradation. Spectrochim Acta A Mol Biomol Spectrosc. 2018;194:181-188 pubmed publisher..These molecular structure changes in grain were potentially associated with CHO biodegradation and biodigestion. ..
- Jonker A, Yu P. The Role of Proanthocyanidins Complex in Structure and Nutrition Interaction in Alfalfa Forage. Int J Mol Sci. 2016;17: pubmed publisher..The emphasis of this review focuses on the role of proanthocyanidins compounds in structure and nutrition interaction in ruminant livestock systems. ..
- Li X, Hannoufa A, Zhang Y, Yu P. Gene-Silencing-Induced Changes in Carbohydrate Conformation in Relation to Bioenergy Value and Carbohydrate Subfractions in Modeled Plant (Medicago sativa) with Down-Regulation of HB12 and TT8 Transcription Factors. Int J Mol Sci. 2016;17: pubmed publisher..The CHO molecular structure changes induced by RNAi gene silencing were associated with biofunctions in terms of the carbohydrate subfractions and nutrient digestion. ..
- Ji C, Zhang X, Yu P. Association of protein structure, protein and carbohydrate subfractions with bioenergy profiles and biodegradation functions in modeled forage. Spectrochim Acta A Mol Biomol Spectrosc. 2016;157:265-270 pubmed publisher..05). These results indicate that the sourced-origins and the internal molecular structure profiles affected biological functions, nutrient bioavailability and biodegradation. ..
- Ji C, Zhang X, Yu P. Using non-invasive molecular spectroscopic techniques to detect unique aspects of protein Amide functional groups and chemical properties of modeled forage from different sourced-origins. Spectrochim Acta A Mol Biomol Spectrosc. 2016;156:151-4 pubmed publisher..86 to 1.88 and 3.68 to 3.79, respectively. Our results show that the non-invasive molecular spectroscopic techniques are capable to detect forage internal protein structure features which are associated with forage chemical properties. ..
- Sun B, Khan N, Yu P. Molecular spectroscopic features of protein in newly developed chickpea: Relationship with protein chemical profile and metabolism in the rumen and intestine of dairy cows. Spectrochim Acta A Mol Biomol Spectrosc. 2018;196:168-177 pubmed publisher..Despite extensive ruminal degradation, chickpea is a good source of MP for dairy cows, and molecular spectroscopy can be used to rapidly characterize feed protein molecular structures and predict their digestibility and nutritive value. ..
- Xin H, Qu Y, Wu H, Yu P, Zhang Y. Univariate and multi-variate comparisons of protein and carbohydrate molecular structural conformations and their associations with nutritive factors in typical by-products. J Sci Food Agric. 2016;96:4736-4748 pubmed publisher..Inherent molecular structures varied among the selected by-product types and they might be used as potential predictors of nutritive factors, especially for protein structural information. © 2016 Society of Chemical Industry. ..
- Yu P, Doiron K, Liu D. Shining light on the differences in molecular structural chemical makeup and the cause of distinct degradation behavior between malting- and feed-type barley using synchrotron FTIR microspectroscopy: a novel approach. J Agric Food Chem. 2008;56:3417-26 pubmed publisher..It is believed that use of the advanced synchrotron technology will make a significant step and an important contribution to research in examining the molecular structure (chemical makeup) of plant, feed, and seeds. ..
- Yu P, Racz V. Chemical characterization, energy values, protein and carbohydrate fractions, degradation kinetics of frost damaged wheat (with severely overall weight loss) in ruminants. Anim Sci J. 2009;80:140-8 pubmed publisher..The chemical and nutritional characterization of wheat was highly associated with climate condition (frost damage). The frost damage to the wheat reduced nutrient content and availability and thus reduced nutrient supply to ruminants. ..
- Yu P. Short communication: Relationship of carbohydrate molecular spectroscopic features to carbohydrate nutrient profiles in co-products from bioethanol production. J Dairy Sci. 2012;95:2091-6 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, the changes in CHO molecular structures during the processing for bioethanol production were highly associated with carbohydrate degradable subfractions in ruminants. ..
- Xu N, Liu J, Yu P. Alteration of biomacromolecule in corn by steam flaking in relation to biodegradation kinetics in ruminant, revealed with vibrational molecular spectroscopy. Spectrochim Acta A Mol Biomol Spectrosc. 2018;191:491-497 pubmed publisher..10) associated with RDP. This results indicated that the steam flaking induced molecular structure changes had an interactive relationship with rumen degradation kinetics. ..
- Abeysekara S, Khan N, Yu P. Relationship between protein molecular structural makeup and metabolizable protein supply to dairy cattle from new cool-season forage corn cultivars. Spectrochim Acta A Mol Biomol Spectrosc. 2018;191:303-314 pubmed publisher..This study shows that molecular spectroscopy can be potentially used as a rapid tool to quantify protein molecular makeup and screen the protein nutritive value of forage corn. ..
- Ji C, Zhang X, Yan X, Mostafizar Rahman M, Prates L, Yu P. Bio-functions and molecular carbohydrate structure association study in forage with different source origins revealed using non-destructive vibrational molecular spectroscopy techniques. Spectrochim Acta A Mol Biomol Spectrosc. 2017;183:260-266 pubmed publisher..The molecular spectroscopic technique can be used to detect forage carbohydrate structure features on a molecular basis and can be used to study interactive association between forage molecular structure and bio-functions. ..
- Heendeniya R, Yu P. Gene-Transformation-Induced Changes in Chemical Functional Group Features and Molecular Structure Conformation in Alfalfa Plants Co-Expressing Lc-bHLH and C1-MYB Transcriptive Flavanoid Regulatory Genes: Effects of Single-Gene and Two-Gene Insertion. Int J Mol Sci. 2017;18: pubmed publisher..The current study provided molecular structural information on the transgenic alfalfa plants and provided an insight into the impact of transgenes on protein and carbohydrate properties and their molecular structure's changes. ..