V Wee Yong
Affiliation: University of Calgary
- Jensen S, Yong V. Activity-Dependent and Experience-Driven Myelination Provide New Directions for the Management of Multiple Sclerosis. Trends Neurosci. 2016;39:356-365 pubmed publisher..These advances present new considerations for the management of multiple sclerosis and open up new approaches to facilitate remyelination following pathological demyelination. ..
- Hahn J, Kaushik D, Mishra M, Wang J, Silva C, Yong V. Impact of Minocycline on Extracellular Matrix Metalloproteinase Inducer, a Factor Implicated in Multiple Sclerosis Immunopathogenesis. J Immunol. 2016;197:3850-3860 pubmed..Overall, minocycline attenuated the activation-induced elevation of EMMPRIN on T cells in culture and in EAE mice, correspondent with reduced immune function and EAE CNS pathology. ..
- Sarkar S, Mirzaei R, Zemp F, Wei W, Senger D, Robbins S, et al. Activation of NOTCH Signaling by Tenascin-C Promotes Growth of Human Brain Tumor-Initiating Cells. Cancer Res. 2017;77:3231-3243 pubmed publisher..i>Cancer Res; 77(12); 3231-43. Â©2017 AACR. ..
- Rogers J, Mishra M, Hahn J, Greene C, Yates R, Metz L, et al. Gestational bisphenol-A exposure lowers the threshold for autoimmunity in a model of multiple sclerosis. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2017;114:4999-5004 pubmed publisher..Neutralizing granulocyte-colony stimulating factor blocked susceptibility to disease in bisphenol-A mice. Early life exposure to bisphenol-A may represent an environmental consideration in multiple sclerosis. ..
- Faissner S, Mishra M, Kaushik D, Wang J, Fan Y, Silva C, et al. Systematic screening of generic drugs for progressive multiple sclerosis identifies clomipramine as a promising therapeutic. Nat Commun. 2017;8:1990 pubmed publisher..In summary, we present a systematic approach to identify generic medications for progressive multiple sclerosis with the potential to advance rapidly into clinical trials, and we highlight clomipramine for further development. ..
- Rawji K, Kappen J, Tang W, Teo W, Plemel J, Stys P, et al. Deficient Surveillance and Phagocytic Activity of Myeloid Cells Within Demyelinated Lesions in Aging Mice Visualized by Ex Vivo Live Multiphoton Imaging. J Neurosci. 2018;38:1973-1988 pubmed publisher..Medications to stimulate deficient aging myeloid cells should not only increase their representation, but also enter into lesions to stimulate their activity. ..
- Rawji K, Mishra M, Michaels N, Rivest S, Stys P, Yong V. Immunosenescence of microglia and macrophages: impact on the ageing central nervous system. Brain. 2016;139:653-61 pubmed publisher..Rejuvenation of ageing macrophage/microglia may preserve neurological integrity and promote regeneration in the ageing central nervous system. ..
- Yong V, Marks S. The interplay between the immune and central nervous systems in neuronal injury. Neurology. 2010;74 Suppl 1:S9-S16 pubmed publisher..The interplay between components of the immune system and CNS contributes both to healthy brain function and to the pathogenesis of neurodegenerative diseases such as multiple sclerosis. ..