Affiliation: University of Guelph
- Whitfield C, Roberts I. Structure, assembly and regulation of expression of capsules in Escherichia coli. Mol Microbiol. 1999;31:1307-19 pubmed..coli into four distinct groups...
- Whitfield C. Biosynthesis and assembly of capsular polysaccharides in Escherichia coli. Annu Rev Biochem. 2006;75:39-68 pubmed..These systems have an impact on both a general understanding of membrane trafficking in bacteria and on bacterial pathogenesis...
- Mann E, Ovchinnikova O, King J, Whitfield C. Bacteriophage-mediated Glucosylation Can Modify Lipopolysaccharide O-Antigens Synthesized by an ATP-binding Cassette (ABC) Transporter-dependent Assembly Mechanism. J Biol Chem. 2015;290:25561-70 pubmed publisher..coli chromosome, restoring native level antisera sensitivity and structure. There are therefore no intrinsic mechanistic barriers for bacteriophage-mediated O-antigen glucosylation in ABC transporter-dependent pathways. ..
- Mann E, Mallette E, Clarke B, Kimber M, Whitfield C. The Klebsiella pneumoniae O12 ATP-binding Cassette (ABC) Transporter Recognizes the Terminal Residue of Its O-antigen Polysaccharide Substrate. J Biol Chem. 2016;291:9748-61 pubmed publisher..These results demonstrate that the CBM-mediated substrate-recognition mechanism is evolutionarily conserved and can operate with glycans of widely differing structures. ..
- Liston S, Ovchinnikova O, Whitfield C. Unique lipid anchor attaches Vi antigen capsule to the surface of Salmonella enterica serovar Typhi. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2016;113:6719-24 pubmed publisher..The structure of the lipidated terminus dictates a unique assembly mechanism and has potential implications in pathogenesis and vaccine production. ..
- Liston S, Mann E, Whitfield C. Glycolipid substrates for ABC transporters required for the assembly of bacterial cell-envelope and cell-surface glycoconjugates. Biochim Biophys Acta Mol Cell Biol Lipids. 2017;1862:1394-1403 pubmed publisher..This article is part of a Special Issue entitled: Bacterial Lipids edited by Russell E. Bishop. ..