Affiliation: University of Windsor
- Different rankings of inbred mouse strains on the Morris maze and a refined 4-arm water escape taskDouglas Wahlsten
Department of Psychology, University of Alberta, Edmonton, Alta, Canada T6G 2E9
Behav Brain Res 165:36-51. 2005..We conclude that no single task can reveal the full richness of spatially guided behavior in a wide range of mouse genotypes...
- Stability of inbred mouse strain differences in behavior and brain size between laboratories and across decadesDouglas Wahlsten
Department of Psychology, University of Alberta, Edmonton, AB, Canada T6G 2E9
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 103:16364-9. 2006..Phenotypic drift over decades for most of the behaviors examined appears to be minimal...
- Different data from different labs: lessons from studies of gene-environment interactionDouglas Wahlsten
Centre for Neuroscience and Department of Psychology, University of Alberta, Edmonton, AB T6G 2E9, Canada
J Neurobiol 54:283-311. 2003..Implications for behavioral screening of targeted and induced mutations in mice are discussed...
- In search of a better mouse testDouglas Wahlsten
Department of Psychology and Centre for Neuroscience, University of Alberta, Edmonton, Alberta, Canada T6G 2E9
Trends Neurosci 26:132-6. 2003..The optimal apparatus configuration for certain genetic or pharmacological analyses might depend on the particular laboratory environment. Despite our best efforts, the mice will continue to win some innings...
- Survey of 21 inbred mouse strains in two laboratories reveals that BTBR T/+ tf/tf has severely reduced hippocampal commissure and absent corpus callosumDouglas Wahlsten
Department of Psychology and Centre for Neuroscience, University of Alberta, Edmonton, Alta, Canada T6G 2E9
Brain Res 971:47-54. 2003..Brain size varied greatly among strains but for any one strain was almost identical in mice housed for 5 weeks in the two laboratories. Sex differences in brain weight and forebrain commissure sizes were not statistically significant...
- Digit ratio (2Dratio4D) differences between 20 strains of inbred miceReginia H Y Yan
Department of Psychology, University of Alberta, Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
PLoS ONE 4:e5801. 2009..We suggest that the inbred mice model presents an opportunity for researchers to investigate the genetic, and gene-environmental influence on the development of digit ratios...
- A robust, efficient and flexible method for staining myelinated axons in blocks of brain tissueDouglas Wahlsten
Department of Psychology and Centre for Neuroscience, University of Alberta, Edmonton, AB, Canada T6G 2E9
J Neurosci Methods 123:207-14. 2003..Useful data for morphometric analysis were obtained by scanning the surface of a gold chloride stained block of brain with an inexpensive flatbed scanner...
- Wheel running behavior is impaired by both surgical section and genetic absence of the mouse corpus callosumP Melike Schalomon
Centre for Neuroscience and Department of Psychology, University of Alberta, Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Brain Res Bull 57:27-33. 2002..The effect of absent CC is task dependent, but it is not obscured by developmental compensation in the recombinant mice...
- Effects of genetic and procedural variation on measurement of alcohol sensitivity in mouse inbred strainsJohn C Crabbe
Portland Alcohol Research Center, Department of Behavioral Neuroscience, Oregon Health and Science University, Portland, OR, 97239, USA
Behav Genet 36:536-52. 2006..In certain instances, substrain seems to matter little, while in others, substrains differed a great deal. These data are generally encouraging about the stability of genetic differences...
- Observer-rated ataxia: rating scales for assessment of genetic differences in ethanol-induced intoxication in micePamela Metten
Department of Veterans Affairs Medical Center, Oregon Health and Science University, Portland, Oregon 97239, USA
J Appl Physiol (1985) 97:360-8. 2004..Modest strain mean correlations among behaviors indicate that these behaviors are probably under control of largely different genes and that ataxia rating scales should rate separate behaviors on discrete scales...
- An analysis of the genetics of alcohol intoxication in inbred miceJohn C Crabbe
Department of Behavioral Neuroscience, Portland Alcohol Research Center, Oregon Health and Science University, and VA Medical Center R and D 12, 3710 SW US Veterans Hospital Road, Portland, OR 97239, USA
Neurosci Biobehav Rev 28:785-802. 2005..This caveat likely extends to many behavioral domains (e.g. learning and memory, anxiety)...
- Assessment of genetic susceptibility to ethanol intoxication in miceNathan R Rustay
Portland Alcohol Research Center, Department of Behavioral Neuroscience, Oregon Health and Science University, and Veterans Affairs Medical Center, 3710 Southwest U S Veterans Hospital Road R and D 12, Portland, OR 97239, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 100:2917-22. 2003....
- Selective modification of short-term hippocampal synaptic plasticity and impaired memory extinction in mice with a congenitally reduced hippocampal commissureLesley A Schimanski
Department of Physiology, University of Alberta School of Medicine, Edmonton, Alberta T6G 2H7, Canada
J Neurosci 22:8277-86. 2002..Thus, the HC in mice is vital for particular aspects of memory function and for short-term synaptic modification in specific hippocampal circuits...
- Overview of mouse assays of ethanol intoxicationJohn C Crabbe
Portland VA Medical Center, Portland, Oregon, USA
Curr Protoc Neurosci . 2008..Whether or not a test is conducted in naïve mice or as part of a test battery can influence sensitivity, and do so in a strain-dependent manner. This unit reviews existing tests and recommends several...
- Impaired fear memory, altered object memory and modified hippocampal synaptic plasticity in split-brain micePeter MacPherson
University of Alberta School of Medicine, Department of Physiology, Edmonton, Alberta, Canada T6G 2H7
Brain Res 1210:179-88. 2008..Agenesis of the CC and HC may unmask some latent ability to encode, store or retrieve certain forms of recognition memory. We suggest that the increased susceptibility to DPT in BTBR may underlie the memory phenotype reported here...
- Genotypic differences in ethanol sensitivity in two tests of motor incoordinationJohn C Crabbe
VA Medical Center, R and D 12 3710 SW US Veterans Hospital Rd, Portland, OR 97239, USA
J Appl Physiol (1985) 95:1338-51. 2003..These results make clear that a single set of task parameters is insufficient to characterize genetic influences on behavior. Several other issues affect the interpretation of data using these tests...
- Of mice and their environmentsJohn C Crabbe
Science 299:1313-4. 2003
- Influence of task parameters on rotarod performance and sensitivity to ethanol in miceNathan R Rustay
Portland Alcohol Research Center, Department of Behavioral Neuroscience, Oregon Health and Science University, and VA Medical Center, Portland, OR 97239, USA
Behav Brain Res 141:237-49. 2003..These data also underscore the need to employ multiple behavioral assays in order to model a complex domain such as "ataxia" or "coordination."..
- Ethanol effects on behavior: genes and environmentDouglas Wahlsten; Fiscal Year: 2008..unreadable] [unreadable]..