Sylvia van Drunen Littel-van den Hurk
Affiliation: University of Saskatchewan
- Mackenzie Dyck S, Latimer L, Atanley E, Kovacs Nolan J, Attah Poku S, Babiuk L, et al. Immunogenicity of a bovine herpesvirus 1 glycoprotein D DNA vaccine complexed with bovine neutrophil beta-defensin 3. Clin Vaccine Immunol. 2015;22:79-90 pubmed publisher..Native, synthetic, and analog forms of BNBD3 were equally capable of inducing functional maturation of BMDCs. ..
- Garg R, Latimer L, Gerdts V, Potter A, van Drunen Littel van den Hurk S. The respiratory syncytial virus fusion protein formulated with a novel combination adjuvant induces balanced immune responses in lambs with maternal antibodies. Vaccine. 2015;33:1338-44 pubmed publisher..These results indicate that immunization of neonates with Î”F/TriAdj is effective even in the face of maternal antibodies. ..
- Shrivastava P, Atanley E, Sarkar I, Watkiss E, Gomis S, van Drunen Littel van den Hurk S. Blunted inflammatory and mucosal IgA responses to pneumonia virus of mice in C57BL/6 neonates are correlated to reduced protective immunity upon re-infection as elderly mice. Virology. 2015;485:233-43 pubmed publisher..These results suggest that an effective local innate response, as well as priming of mucosal adaptive responses in neonates after PVM-15 infection is correlated to decreased susceptibility and protection upon re-infection. ..
- Alves Dummer L, Pereira Leivas Leite F, van Drunen Littel van den Hurk S. Bovine herpesvirus glycoprotein D: a review of its structural characteristics and applications in vaccinology. Vet Res. 2014;45:111 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, the interactions of gD with the host immune system are discussed. Finally, the application of this glycoprotein in new vaccine design is reviewed, taking its structural and functional characteristics into consideration. ..
- van Drunen Littel van den Hurk S, Hannaman D. Electroporation for DNA immunization: clinical application. Expert Rev Vaccines. 2010;9:503-17 pubmed publisher..In support of the potential for electroporation in human disease situations, early clinical results suggest that the immunogenicity of DNA vaccines is greatly improved when delivered with electroporation. ..
- van Drunen Littel van den Hurk S, Snider M, Thompson P, Latimer L, Babiuk L. Strategies for induction of protective immunity to bovine herpesvirus-1 in newborn calves with maternal antibodies. Vaccine. 2008;26:3103-11 pubmed publisher..Close to complete protection against BHV-1 challenge was elicited in the calves immunized with the protein/CpG formulation, as these animals lost very little weight, had only slightly elevated temperatures and shed almost no virus. ..
- Shrivastava P, Watkiss E, van Drunen Littel van den Hurk S. The response of aged mice to primary infection and re-infection with pneumonia virus of mice depends on their genetic background. Immunobiology. 2016;221:494-502 pubmed publisher..However, the central memory CD4(+) and CD8(+) T cells were significantly enhanced in numbers in the lungs and draining lymph nodes of both mouse strains after re-infection, and these numbers were higher for C57BL/6 mice. ..
- Zhang K, Brownlie R, Snider M, van Drunen Littel van den Hurk S. Phosphorylation of Bovine Herpesvirus 1 VP8 Plays a Role in Viral DNA Encapsidation and Is Essential for Its Cytoplasmic Localization and Optimal Virion Incorporation. J Virol. 2016;90:4427-4440 pubmed publisher..This correlates with smaller amounts of mutant VP8 in virions and suggests for the first time that VP8 may be assembled into the virions at two stages, with the latter dependent on phosphorylation. ..
- Garg R, Latimer L, Wang Y, Simko E, Gerdts V, Potter A, et al. Maternal immunization with respiratory syncytial virus fusion protein formulated with a novel combination adjuvant provides protection from RSV in newborn lambs. Vaccine. 2016;34:261-269 pubmed publisher..These results indicate that maternal immunization with Î”F/TriAdj might be an alternative, safe and effective approach to provide protection against RSV in newborn and young infants. ..
- van Drunen Littel van den Hurk S. Rationale and perspectives on the success of vaccination against bovine herpesvirus-1. Vet Microbiol. 2006;113:275-82 pubmed
- Islam A, Schulz S, Afroz S, Babiuk L, van Drunen Littel van den Hurk S. Interaction of VP8 with mRNAs of bovine herpesvirus-1. Virus Res. 2015;197:116-26 pubmed publisher..Based on these results, we concluded that VP8 binds to intron-less mRNAs of bICP0, gB, gC and gD. ..
- van Drunen Littel van den Hurk S, Watkiss E. Pathogenesis of respiratory syncytial virus. Curr Opin Virol. 2012;2:300-5 pubmed publisher..Ultimately, whether the response induced by RSV is protective or pathogenic depends on a combination of host factors, young age being one of the most important ones...
- van Drunen Littel van den Hurk S, Mapletoft J, Arsic N, Kovacs Nolan J. Immunopathology of RSV infection: prospects for developing vaccines without this complication. Rev Med Virol. 2007;17:5-34 pubmed..Maternal vaccination may be the optimal strategy to protect the very young infants. ..
- Shrivastava P, Sarkar I, Atanley E, Gomis S, van Drunen Littel van den Hurk S. IL-12p40 gene-deficient BALB/c mice exhibit lower weight loss, reduced lung pathology and decreased sensitization to allergen in response to infection with pneumonia virus of mice. Virology. 2016;497:1-10 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, these data suggest that a depressed regulatory capacity in BALB/c mice to PVM infection results in enhanced immunopathology and sensitization to allergen. ..
- Afroz S, Brownlie R, Fodje M, van Drunen Littel van den Hurk S. VP8, the Major Tegument Protein of Bovine Herpesvirus 1, Interacts with Cellular STAT1 and Inhibits Interferon Beta Signaling. J Virol. 2016;90:4889-4904 pubmed publisher..These results provide a new functional role for VP8 in BoHV-1 infection and a potential explanation for the lack of viral replication of the UL47 deletion mutant in cattle. ..
- Martinez E, Garg R, Shrivastava P, Gomis S, van Drunen Littel van den Hurk S. Intranasal treatment with a novel immunomodulator mediates innate immune protection against lethal pneumonia virus of mice. Antiviral Res. 2016;135:108-119 pubmed publisher..On day 14 post-infection, P-I-P-treated mice were confirmed to be PVM-free. These results demonstrate the capacity of this formulation to prevent PVM and possibly other viral respiratory infections. ..
- Sadat S, Snider M, Garg R, Brownlie R, van Drunen Littel van den Hurk S. Local innate responses and protective immunity after intradermal immunization with bovine viral diarrhea virus E2 protein formulated with a combination adjuvant in cattle. Vaccine. 2017;35:3466-3473 pubmed publisher..These data demonstrate that ID delivery is suitable as an administration route in cattle and that ID delivered, TriAdj-formulated E2 can protect cattle from BVDV-2. ..
- Zhang K, van Drunen Littel van den Hurk S. Herpesvirus tegument and immediate early proteins are pioneers in the battle between viral infection and nuclear domain 10-related host defense. Virus Res. 2017;238:40-48 pubmed publisher..Once the infection progresses, a sufficient amount of immediate early proteins is expressed to disperse and hydrolyze ND10 proteins, accelerating the development of infection. ..
- Garg R, Brownlie R, Latimer L, Gerdts V, Potter A, van Drunen Littel van den Hurk S. Vaccination with a human parainfluenza virus type 3 chimeric FHN glycoprotein formulated with a combination adjuvant induces protective immunity. Vaccine. 2017;35:7139-7146 pubmed publisher..Protective immunity against PIV3 was also induced by FHN/TriAdj in hamsters. In conclusion, the FHN protein formulated with TriAdj has potential for development of a safe and effective vaccine against PIV3. ..
- van Drunen Littel van den Hurk S. Cell-mediated immune responses induced by BHV-1: rational vaccine design. Expert Rev Vaccines. 2007;6:369-80 pubmed..This includes well-defined genetically engineered gene-deleted, subunit and vectored vaccines...