Murray B Urowitz
Affiliation: University of Toronto
- Ding J, IbaÃ±ez D, Gladman D, Urowitz M. Isolated hematuria and sterile pyuria may indicate systemic lupus erythematosus activity. J Rheumatol. 2015;42:437-40 pubmed publisher..Although not proven, our results suggest that these manifestations were associated with SLE activity, either before or after the episode, and therefore may represent a phase of active disease. ..
- Touma Z, Gladman D, Su J, IbaÃ±ez D, Urowitz M. SLEDAI-2K Does Not Conceal Worsening in a Particular System When There Is Overall Improvement. J Rheumatol. 2015;42:1401-5 pubmed publisher..The SLEDAI-2K identifies improvement in disease activity overall without concealing clinically important worsening. ..
- Tselios K, Gladman D, Su J, Urowitz M. Antimalarials as a risk factor for elevated muscle enzymes in systemic lupus erythematosus. Lupus. 2016;25:532-5 pubmed publisher..CPK abnormalities persist in almost two thirds of the patients, but this remains mainly a biochemical finding, evolving to clinical myopathy in about 2.5%. ..
- Tselios K, Gladman D, Su J, Urowitz M. Does Renin-Angiotensin System Blockade Protect Lupus Nephritis Patients From Atherosclerotic Cardiovascular Events? A Case-Control Study. Arthritis Care Res (Hoboken). 2016;68:1497-504 pubmed publisher..Regression analysis failed to confirm ACE inhibitor/ARB nonuse as an important predictor of future CVEs. Our data do not support the hypothesis that ACE inhibitors/ARBs may be protective against atherosclerotic CVEs in LN patients. ..
- Pakchotanon R, Gladman D, Su J, Urowitz M. More Consistent Antimalarial Intake in First 5 Years of Disease Is Associated with Better Prognosis in Patients with Systemic Lupus Erythematosus. J Rheumatol. 2018;45:90-94 pubmed publisher..Patients taking AM had lower CMS over the 5 years of followup. There was only 1 patient with AM-related retinal toxicity in each group. More consistent use of an AM over the first 5 years of SLE is associated with better outcomes. ..
- Urowitz M, Gladman D, Tom B, Ibanez D, Farewell V. Changing patterns in mortality and disease outcomes for patients with systemic lupus erythematosus. J Rheumatol. 2008;35:2152-8 pubmed..Disease-related variables included in the model are important factors for mortality in this SLE cohort, but could not completely explain the trend of improved survival over calendar period observed. ..
- Tselios K, Koumaras C, Gladman D, Urowitz M. Dyslipidemia in systemic lupus erythematosus: just another comorbidity?. Semin Arthritis Rheum. 2016;45:604-10 pubmed publisher..Its treatment represents a modifiable risk factor; prompt and adequate treatment can minimize unnecessary burden in lupus patients, thus reducing hospitalizations and their overall morbidity and mortality. ..
- Medina Rosas J, Gladman D, Su J, Sabapathy A, Urowitz M, Touma Z. Utility of untimed single urine protein/creatinine ratio as a substitute for 24-h proteinuria for assessment of proteinuria in systemic lupus erythematosus. Arthritis Res Ther. 2015;17:296 pubmed publisher..PCR can be used as a screening test for proteinuria, and the best cutoff value to predict a 24hP of 0.5Â g/day is 0.08Â g/mmol (800Â mg/g). The accurate level of proteinuria should be measured by the gold standard test, 24hP. ..
- Urowitz M, Gladman D, Ibanez D, Fortin P, Bae S, Gordon C, et al. Evolution of disease burden over five years in a multicenter inception systemic lupus erythematosus cohort. Arthritis Care Res (Hoboken). 2012;64:132-7 pubmed publisher..Disease activity in newly diagnosed patients decreases over their first 5 years, while damage increases. Antibody positivity ran variable courses over this period. ..
- Gu K, Gladman D, Su J, Urowitz M. Hospitalizations in Patients with Systemic Lupus Erythematosus in an Academic Health Science Center. J Rheumatol. 2017;44:1173-1178 pubmed publisher..Higher educational level and antimalarial use correlated with shorter length of stay. Patients with SLE are frequently hospitalized, often because of active SLE or infection, and re-hospitalized within a short period of time. ..
- Aljohani R, Gladman D, Su J, Urowitz M. Comparison of systemic lupus erythematosus (SLE) patients managed early after diagnosis in specialty versus community care clinics. Clin Rheumatol. 2017;36:1773-1778 pubmed publisher..Lupus patients should be under the care of a lupus specialist early in their disease course for better control of their disease activity and to minimize use of GCS. ..
- Urowitz M, IbaÃ±ez D, Su J, Gladman D. Modified Framingham Risk Factor Score for Systemic Lupus Erythematosus. J Rheumatol. 2016;43:875-9 pubmed publisher..22 (p = 0.07) for the classic FRS and 4.37 (p < 0.0001) for the 2FRS. An mFRS in which each item is multiplied by 2 more accurately predicts CAD in patients with SLE. ..
- Tselios K, Gladman D, Su J, Urowitz M. Mycophenolate Mofetil in Nonrenal Manifestations of Systemic Lupus Erythematosus: An Observational Cohort Study. J Rheumatol. 2016;43:552-8 pubmed publisher..001). MMF seems to be an efficacious alternative in refractory to standard of care nonrenal manifestations of SLE in the long term, allowing for disease activity control and significant reduction in corticosteroid dose. ..
- Urowitz M, Gladman D, Ibanez D, Bae S, Sanchez Guerrero J, Gordon C, et al. Atherosclerotic vascular events in a multinational inception cohort of systemic lupus erythematosus. Arthritis Care Res (Hoboken). 2010;62:881-7 pubmed publisher..Patients with atherosclerotic events were more likely to be men and to be older at diagnosis of SLE. ..