F S Thong
Affiliation: University of Guelph
- Caffeine-induced impairment of insulin action but not insulin signaling in human skeletal muscle is reduced by exerciseFarah S L Thong
Department of Human Biology and Nutritional Sciences, University of Guelph, Guelph, Canada
Diabetes 51:583-90. 2002....
- Plasma leptin in female athletes: relationship with body fat, reproductive, nutritional, and endocrine factorsF S Thong
Department of Human Biology and Nutritional Sciences, University of Guelph, Ontario, Canada
J Appl Physiol 88:2037-44. 2000..These data suggest that in female athletes 1) leptin may be a metabolic signal that provides a link between adipose tissue, energy availability, and the reproductive axis and 2) sex hormones do not directly regulate leptin secretion...
- Plasma leptin in moderately obese men: independent effects of weight loss and aerobic exerciseF S Thong
Department of Human Biology and Nutritional Sciences, University of Guelph, N1G 2W1, Kingston, Ontario, Canada K7L 3N6
Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab 279:E307-13. 2000..We conclude that reduction in adipose tissue after weight loss results in a collateral decrease in circulating leptin, and exercise, independent of its effects on weight loss, has no profound influence on leptin secretion...
- Caffeine-induced impairment of glucose tolerance is abolished by beta-adrenergic receptor blockade in humansFarah S L Thong
Department of Human Biology and Nutritional Sciences, University of Guelph, Guelph, Ontario, Canada N1G 2W1
J Appl Physiol 92:2347-52. 2002..These data suggest that the insulin antagonistic effects of caffeine in vivo are mediated by elevated epinephrine rather than by peripheral AR antagonism...
- The putative roles of adenosine in insulin- and exercise-mediated regulation of glucose transport and glycogen metabolism in skeletal muscleFarah S L Thong
Department of Human Biology and Nutritional Sciences, University of Guelph, Guelph, ON N1G 2W1
Can J Appl Physiol 27:152-78. 2002....
- Turning signals on and off: GLUT4 traffic in the insulin-signaling highwayFarah S L Thong
Programme in Cell Biology, The Hospital for Sick Children, Ontario, Canada
Physiology (Bethesda) 20:271-84. 2005..The round trip of GLUT4 is intricately regulated by diverse signaling molecules impinging on specific compartments. Here we highlight the key molecular signals that are turned on and off by insulin to accomplish this task...
- Insulin and hypertonicity recruit GLUT4 to the plasma membrane of muscle cells by using N-ethylmaleimide-sensitive factor-dependent SNARE mechanisms but different v-SNAREs: role of TI-VAMPVarinder K Randhawa
Programme in Cell Biology, The Hospital for Sick Children, Toronto, Ontario M5G 1X8, Canada
Mol Biol Cell 15:5565-73. 2004..The insulin effect was abolished by DN-NSF, but only partly reduced by TI-VAMP siRNA. We propose that insulin and hypertonicity recruit GLUT4myc from partly overlapping, but distinct sources defined by VAMP2 and TI-VAMP, respectively...
- Insulin but not PDGF relies on actin remodeling and on VAMP2 for GLUT4 translocation in myoblastsDora Torok
Programme in Cell Biology, The Hospital for Sick Children, 555 University Avenue, Toronto, ON, M5G 1X8, Canada
J Cell Sci 117:5447-55. 2004..These results suggest that insulin and PDGF rely differently on the actin cytoskeleton and on tetanus-toxin-sensitive VAMPs for mobilizing GLUT4...
- Prior exercise increases basal and insulin-induced p38 mitogen-activated protein kinase phosphorylation in human skeletal muscleFarah S L Thong
Programme in Cell Biology, The Hospital for Sick Children, Toronto, Ontario, Canada M5G 1X8
J Appl Physiol 94:2337-41. 2003..Because p38 MAPK has been suggested to play a necessary role in activation of GLUT-4 at the cell surface, the present data may suggest a putative role of p38 MAPK in the increased insulin sensitivity of skeletal muscle after exercise...
- Activation of the A1 adenosine receptor increases insulin-stimulated glucose transport in isolated rat soleus muscleFarah S L Thong
Department of Human Health and Nutritional Sciences, University of Guelph, Guelph, ON, Canada
Appl Physiol Nutr Metab 32:701-10. 2007..This effect is limited to increasing insulin sensitivity, but not to either basal or maximal insulin-stimulated glucose uptake in rat soleus muscle...
- The Rab GTPase-activating protein AS160 integrates Akt, protein kinase C, and AMP-activated protein kinase signals regulating GLUT4 trafficFarah S L Thong
Programme in Cell Biology, The Hospital for Sick Children, 555 University Avenue, Toronto, Ontario, Canada M5G 1X8
Diabetes 56:414-23. 2007..Collectively, these results indicate that activation of Akt, c/n PKC, or alpha2-AMPK intersect at AS160 to regulate GLUT4 traffic, as well as highlight the potential of AS160 as a therapy target to increase muscle glucose uptake...