Sharon E Straus
Affiliation: University of Toronto
- Tricco A, Soobiah C, Blondal E, Veroniki A, Khan P, Vafaei A, et al. Comparative efficacy of serotonin (5-HT3) receptor antagonists in patients undergoing surgery: a systematic review and network meta-analysis. BMC Med. 2015;13:136 pubmed publisher..Granisetron plus dexamethasone was often the most effective antiemetic, with the number needed to treat ranging from two to nine. ..
- Voruganti T, O Brien M, Straus S, McLaughlin J, Grunfeld E. Primary care physicians' perspectives on computer-based health risk assessment tools for chronic diseases: a mixed methods study. J Innov Health Inform. 2015;22:333-9 pubmed publisher..However, appropriate practice workflow integration and features that facilitate patient understanding at point-of-care are also essential. ..
- Yu C, Ivers N, Stacey D, Rezmovitz J, Telner D, Thorpe K, et al. Impact of an interprofessional shared decision-making and goal-setting decision aid for patients with diabetes on decisional conflict--study protocol for a randomized controlled trial. Trials. 2015;16:286 pubmed publisher..Clinicaltrials.gov Identifier: NCT02379078. Date of Registration: 11 February 2015. ..
- Straus S, Thorpe K, Holroyd Leduc J. How do I perform a lumbar puncture and analyze the results to diagnose bacterial meningitis?. JAMA. 2006;296:2012-22 pubmed..Future research should focus on evaluating interventions to optimize the success of a diagnostic LP and to enhance training in procedural skills. ..
- Park J, Moore J, Sayal R, Holmes B, Scarrow G, Graham I, et al. Evaluation of the "Foundations in Knowledge Translation" training initiative: preparing end users to practice KT. Implement Sci. 2018;13:63 pubmed publisher..Positive participant outcomes were sustained until 24 months after the initial workshop. Given the emphasis on implementing evidence and the need to train implementers, these findings are promising for future KT training. ..
- Moore J, Mascarenhas A, Marquez C, Almaawiy U, Chan W, D Souza J, et al. Mapping barriers and intervention activities to behaviour change theory for Mobilization of Vulnerable Elders in Ontario (MOVE ON), a multi-site implementation intervention in acute care hospitals. Implement Sci. 2014;9:160 pubmed publisher..This approach allows implementers to identify potential strategies to overcome local-level barriers and to document adaptations. ..
- Grudniewicz A, Kealy R, Rodseth R, Hamid J, Rudoler D, Straus S. What is the effectiveness of printed educational materials on primary care physician knowledge, behaviour, and patient outcomes: a systematic review and meta-analyses. Implement Sci. 2015;10:164 pubmed publisher..Further trials should explore ways to optimize the intervention and provide detailed information on the design of the materials. PROSPERO, CRD42013004356. ..
- Tricco A, Soobiah C, Blondal E, Veroniki A, Khan P, Vafaei A, et al. Comparative safety of serotonin (5-HT3) receptor antagonists in patients undergoing surgery: a systematic review and network meta-analysis. BMC Med. 2015;13:142 pubmed publisher..No statistically significant differences in delirium frequency were observed across all treatment comparisons in a NMA including 18 RCTs and 3,652 patients. Granisetron plus dexamethasone increases the risk of arrhythmia. ..
- Tricco A, Soobiah C, Hui W, Antony J, Struchkov V, Hutton B, et al. Interventions to decrease the risk of adverse cardiac events for patients receiving chemotherapy and serotonin (5-HT3) receptor antagonists: a systematic review. BMC Pharmacol Toxicol. 2015;16:1 pubmed publisher..The usefulness of ECG to monitor chemotherapy patients administered with 5-HT3 receptor antagonists remains unclear, as all patients received ECG monitoring. PROSPERO registry number: CRD42013003565. ..
- Puchalski Ritchie L, van Lettow M, Hosseinipour M, Rosenberg N, PHIRI S, Landes M, et al. The effectiveness of interventions to improve uptake and retention of HIV-infected pregnant and breastfeeding women and their infants in prevention of mother-to-child transmission care programs in low- and middle-income countries: protocol for a syst. Syst Rev. 2015;4:144 pubmed publisher..Our findings will be useful to PMTCT implementers, policy makers, and implementation researchers working in LMICs. PROSPERO CRD42015020829. ..
- Grudniewicz A, Bhattacharyya O, McKibbon K, Straus S. Redesigning printed educational materials for primary care physicians: design improvements increase usability. Implement Sci. 2015;10:156 pubmed publisher..We feel this finding supports the involvement of the user, application of design principles, and the assistance of a graphic designer in the development of PEMs. ..
- Tricco A, Cogo E, Isaranuwatchai W, Khan P, Sanmugalingham G, Antony J, et al. A systematic review of cost-effectiveness analyses of complex wound interventions reveals optimal treatments for specific wound types. BMC Med. 2015;13:90 pubmed publisher..Our analysis also highlights specific treatments that are not cost-effective, thereby indicating areas of resource savings. Please see related article: http://dx.doi.org/10.1186/s12916-015-0288-5. ..
- Tricco A, Zarin W, Antony J, Hutton B, Moher D, Sherifali D, et al. An international survey and modified Delphi approach revealed numerous rapid review methods. J Clin Epidemiol. 2016;70:61-7 pubmed publisher..Rapid reviews have many names and approaches, and some methods might be more desirable than others. ..
- Tricco A, Antony J, Vafaei A, Khan P, Harrington A, Cogo E, et al. Seeking effective interventions to treat complex wounds: an overview of systematic reviews. BMC Med. 2015;13:89 pubmed publisher..Please see related article: http://dx.doi.org/10.1186/s12916-015-0326-3. ..
- Yu C, Parsons J, Mamdani M, Lebovic G, Hall S, Newton D, et al. A web-based intervention to support self-management of patients with type 2 diabetes mellitus: effect on self-efficacy, self-care and diabetes distress. BMC Med Inform Decis Mak. 2014;14:117 pubmed publisher..Future interventions should aim to integrate the intervention seamlessly into the daily routine of end users such that it is not seen as yet another chore. ..
- Hutton B, Yazdi F, Bordeleau L, Morgan S, Cameron C, Kanji S, et al. Comparison of physical interventions, behavioral interventions, natural health products, and pharmacologics to manage hot flashes in patients with breast or prostate cancer: protocol for a systematic review incorporating network meta-analyses. Syst Rev. 2015;4:114 pubmed publisher..Our findings will be shared with Cancer Care Ontario for consideration in the development of guidance related to supportive care in these patients. CRD42015024286. ..
- Foy R, Sales A, Wensing M, Aarons G, Flottorp S, Kent B, et al. Implementation science: a reappraisal of our journal mission and scope. Implement Sci. 2015;10:51 pubmed publisher..We hope this editorial on our evolving priorities and common reasons for rejection without peer review will help authors to better judge the relevance of their papers to Implementation Science. ..
- Strifler L, Cardoso R, McGowan J, Cogo E, Nincic V, Khan P, et al. Scoping review identifies significant number of knowledge translation theories, models, and frameworks with limited use. J Clin Epidemiol. 2018;100:92-102 pubmed publisher..We found a significant number of KT theories, models, and frameworks with a limited evidence base describing their use. ..
- Sawka A, Straus S, Rodin G, Thorpe K, Ezzat S, Gafni A, et al. Decision aid on radioactive iodine treatment for early stage papillary thyroid cancer: update to study protocol with follow-up extension. Trials. 2015;16:302 pubmed publisher..Clinicaltrials.gov identifier NCT01083550, registered 24 February 2010 and last updated 5 January 2015. ..
- Perrier L, Persaud N, Thorpe K, Straus S. Using a systematic review in clinical decision making: a pilot parallel, randomized controlled trial. Implement Sci. 2015;10:118 pubmed publisher..The results indicate that conducting a full-scale trial is feasible. ClinicalTrials.gov NCT02414360 . ..
- Straus S, Sales A, Wensing M, Michie S, Kent B, Foy R. Education and training for implementation science: our interest in manuscripts describing education and training materials. Implement Sci. 2015;10:136 pubmed publisher..We are announcing a renewed interest in manuscripts in this area, with specifications described below. ..
- Kastner M, Antony J, Soobiah C, Straus S, Tricco A. Conceptual recommendations for selecting the most appropriate knowledge synthesis method to answer research questions related to complex evidence. J Clin Epidemiol. 2016;73:43-9 pubmed publisher..As part of next steps, we will convene a meeting of international leaders in the field aimed at clarifying emerging knowledge synthesis approaches. ..
- Straus S, Graham I, Taylor M, Lockyer J. Development of a mentorship strategy: a knowledge translation case study. J Contin Educ Health Prof. 2008;28:117-22 pubmed publisher..The knowledge to action framework can be used to develop a mentorship initiative for clinician researchers. Future work to evaluate the impact of this intervention on recruitment and retention is planned. ..
- Reynen E, Robson R, Ivory J, Hwee J, Straus S, Pham B, et al. A retrospective comparison of systematic reviews with same-topic rapid reviews. J Clin Epidemiol. 2018;96:23-34 pubmed publisher..RRs used several methodological shortcuts compared with SRs on the same topic. It was challenging to discern methodological differences because of retrospective assessment and substantial nonreporting, particularly for RRs. ..
- Soobiah C, Daly C, Blondal E, Ewusie J, Ho J, Elliott M, et al. An evaluation of the comparative effectiveness of geriatrician-led comprehensive geriatric assessment for improving patient and healthcare system outcomes for older adults: a protocol for a systematic review and network meta-analysis. Syst Rev. 2017;6:65 pubmed publisher..Moreover, active involvement of KUs throughout the review process will ensure the results are relevant to different levels of decision-making. PROSPERO CRD42014014008. ..
- Tricco A, Blondal E, Veroniki A, Soobiah C, Vafaei A, Ivory J, et al. Comparative safety and effectiveness of serotonin receptor antagonists in patients undergoing chemotherapy: a systematic review and network meta-analysis. BMC Med. 2016;14:216 pubmed publisher..All agents were effective for reducing risk of nausea, vomiting, and chemotherapy-induced nausea or vomiting. This study was registered at PROSPERO: ( CRD42013003564 ). ..
- Tricco A, Ashoor H, Cardoso R, Macdonald H, Cogo E, Kastner M, et al. Sustainability of knowledge translation interventions in healthcare decision-making: a scoping review. Implement Sci. 2016;11:55 pubmed publisher..Most of the included studies focused on patient-level outcomes and patient-level KT interventions. A future systematic review can be conducted of the RCTs to examine the impact of sustainable KT interventions on health outcomes. ..
- Timmings C, Khan S, Moore J, Marquez C, Pyka K, Straus S. Ready, Set, Change! Development and usability testing of an online readiness for change decision support tool for healthcare organizations. BMC Med Inform Decis Mak. 2016;16:24 pubmed publisher..Use of this tool in practice may offer time and resource-saving implications for implementation. ..
- Tricco A, Antony J, Soobiah C, Kastner M, Cogo E, Macdonald H, et al. Knowledge synthesis methods for generating or refining theory: a scoping review reveals that little guidance is available. J Clin Epidemiol. 2016;73:36-42 pubmed publisher..Guidance for conducting the steps was often vague and sometimes absent. Further work is needed to provide direction on operationalizing these methods. ..
- Tricco A, Soobiah C, Antony J, Cogo E, Macdonald H, Lillie E, et al. A scoping review identifies multiple emerging knowledge synthesis methods, but few studies operationalize the method. J Clin Epidemiol. 2016;73:19-28 pubmed publisher..We found a lack of guidance on how to select a knowledge synthesis method. We propose convening an international group of leaders in the knowledge synthesis field to help clarify emerging approaches to knowledge synthesis. ..
- Tricco A, Antony J, Soobiah C, Kastner M, Macdonald H, Cogo E, et al. Knowledge synthesis methods for integrating qualitative and quantitative data: a scoping review reveals poor operationalization of the methodological steps. J Clin Epidemiol. 2016;73:29-35 pubmed publisher..Some of the knowledge synthesis methods provided guidance on all steps, whereas other methods were missing guidance on the synthesis process. Further work is needed to clarify these emerging knowledge synthesis methods. ..
- Tricco A, Lillie E, Zarin W, O Brien K, Colquhoun H, Kastner M, et al. A scoping review on the conduct and reporting of scoping reviews. BMC Med Res Methodol. 2016;16:15 pubmed publisher..As such, improvements in reporting and conduct are imperative. Further research on scoping review methodology is warranted, and in particular, there is need for a guideline to standardize reporting. ..
- Watt J, Tricco A, Talbot Hamon C, Pham B, Rios P, Grudniewicz A, et al. Identifying older adults at risk of harm following elective surgery: a systematic review and meta-analysis. BMC Med. 2018;16:2 pubmed publisher..We identified potentially modifiable prognostic factors (e.g., frailty, depressive symptoms, and smoking) associated with developing postoperative complications that can be targeted preoperatively to optimize care. ..
- Tricco A, Cardoso R, Thomas S, Motiwala S, Sullivan S, Kealey M, et al. Barriers and facilitators to uptake of systematic reviews by policy makers and health care managers: a scoping review. Implement Sci. 2016;11:4 pubmed publisher..Systematic review authors can consider our results when publishing their systematic reviews. These strategies should be rigorously evaluated to determine impact on use of reviews in decision-making. ..
- Straus S, Brouwers M, Johnson D, Lavis J, Legare F, Majumdar S, et al. Core competencies in the science and practice of knowledge translation: description of a Canadian strategic training initiative. Implement Sci. 2011;6:127 pubmed publisher..Ultimately through this initiative, we hope to meet the capacity demand for KT researchers and practitioners in Canada that will lead to improved care and a strengthened healthcare system. ..
- Goldberg A, Straus S, Hamid J, Wong C. Room transfers and the risk of delirium incidence amongst hospitalized elderly medical patients: a case-control study. BMC Geriatr. 2015;15:69 pubmed publisher..An increased number of room transfers per patient days is associated with an increased incidence of delirium amongst hospitalized elderly medical patients. This is an exploratory analysis and needs confirmation with larger studies. ..
- Niven D, Mrklas K, Holodinsky J, Straus S, Hemmelgarn B, Jeffs L, et al. Towards understanding the de-adoption of low-value clinical practices: a scoping review. BMC Med. 2015;13:255 pubmed publisher..In the meantime, this study proposes a model that providers and decision-makers can use to guide efforts to de-adopt ineffective and harmful practices. ..
- Kastner M, Sayal R, Oliver D, Straus S, Dolovich L. Sustainability and scalability of a volunteer-based primary care intervention (Health TAPESTRY): a mixed-methods analysis. BMC Health Serv Res. 2017;17:514 pubmed publisher..Our findings build on the limited current knowledge of sustainability, and advances KT science related to the sustainability and scalability of KT interventions. ..
- Watt J, Goodarzi Z, Tricco A, Veroniki A, Straus S. Comparative safety and efficacy of pharmacological and non-pharmacological interventions for the behavioral and psychological symptoms of dementia: protocol for a systematic review and network meta-analysis. Syst Rev. 2017;6:182 pubmed publisher..The results of this study will be used to guide decision-making and improve patient care. PROSPERO registry number CRD42017050130. ..
- Tricco A, Zarin W, Ghassemi M, Nincic V, Lillie E, Page M, et al. Same family, different species: methodological conduct and quality varies according to purpose for five types of knowledge synthesis. J Clin Epidemiol. 2018;96:133-142 pubmed publisher..Scoping reviews scored the lowest (even after adjusting the score for not relevant items) likely because the purpose is to characterize the literature. ..