Affiliation: University of Toronto
- Predictors of post-bariatric surgery appointment attendance: the role of relationship styleSanjeev Sockalingam
Bariatric Surgery Program, Toronto Western Hospital, Toronto, ON, Canada
Obes Surg 23:2026-32. 2013..Attendance at bariatric surgery follow-up appointments has been associated with bariatric surgery outcomes. In this prospective study, we sought to examine psychosocial predictors of attendance at post-operative follow-up appointments...
- Psychiatric predictors of surgery non-completion following suitability assessment for bariatric surgeryS Sockalingam
Department of Psychiatry, University of Toronto, Toronto, Canada
Obes Surg 23:205-11. 2013..This study explored the relationship between psychiatric factors and patient non-completion during the pre-bariatric surgery suitability assessment...
- Identifying opportunities to improve management of autoimmune hepatitis: evaluation of drug adherence and psychosocial factorsSanjeev Sockalingam
University Health Network, Program in Medical Psychiatry, Canada
J Hepatol 57:1299-304. 2012..We sought to determine the association between anxiety, depressive symptoms, and avoidant relationship style on self-reported immunosuppressant medication adherence and treatment response in patients with AIH...
- The association between attachment avoidance and quality of life in bariatric surgery candidatesSanjeev Sockalingam
Department of Psychiatry, University of Toronto, Toronto, ON, Canada
Obes Facts 4:456-60. 2011..In this study, we aimed to determine the relationship between insecure attachment styles and HRQOL in bariatric surgery candidates...
- Suicide risk in hepatitis C and during interferon-alpha therapy: a review and clinical updateS Sockalingam
University Health Network, Toronto General Hospital, Toronto, ON, Canada
J Viral Hepat 18:153-60. 2011..Further research examining the effects of pharmacological and nonpharmacological interventions on suicide risk during IFNα treatment is needed...
- Determining rates of hepatitis C in a clozapine treated cohortSanjeev Sockalingam
Psychiatry, Health and Disease Division, University Health Network, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Schizophr Res 124:86-90. 2010..To determine the prevalence rates of hepatitis C in patients with schizophrenia and schizoaffective disorder being treated with clozapine...
- Quality education: a pilot quality improvement curriculum for psychiatry residentsSanjeev Sockalingam
University Health Network, Canada
Med Teach 32:e221-6. 2010..A series of Institute of Medicine's reports have highlighted the need for greater quality improvement (QI) training in medical education; however, few formal QI curricula for medical trainees have been described in the literature...
- A pilot study in suicide intervention training using a group intervention for patients with recurrent suicide attemptsSanjeev Sockalingam
Department of Psychiatry, University Health Network and University of Toronto, Psychiatry, Toronto, Ontario, M5G 2C4, Canada
Acad Psychiatry 34:132-5. 2010..This article describes psychiatric trainees' reflections regarding their participation in a psychosocial/psychoeducational group intervention for individuals with recurrent suicide attempts...
- Treatment of clozapine-induced hypersalivation with ipratropium bromide: a randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled crossover studySanjeev Sockalingam
University Health Network, Toronto General Hospital 8EN 225, 200 Elizabeth St, Toronto, Ontario M5G 2C4, Canada
J Clin Psychiatry 70:1114-9. 2009..Previous open-label studies suggest that sublingual ipratropium bromide may be effective in treating CIH...
- Managing depression during hepatitis C treatmentSanjeev Sockalingam
Program in Medical Psychiatry, Toronto General Hospital, University Health Network, Toronto, Ontario
Can J Psychiatry 54:614-25. 2009..We summarize the risk factors for interferon-alpha-induced major depressive disorder (IFN-alpha-MDD) in HCV patients and the evidence for antidepressant prophylaxis and symptomatic antidepressant treatment of depression...
- A review of sleep disturbance in hepatitis CSanjeev Sockalingam
Department of Psychiatry, University of Toronto, Toronto, ON, Canada
J Clin Gastroenterol 44:38-45. 2010..Further research is needed to elucidate the efficacy of pharmacological and nonpharmacological treatments of sleep disorders in CHC patients...
- Residents' perceived physician-manager educational needs: a national survey of psychiatry residentsSanjeev Sockalingam
Medical and Surgical Psychiatry Program, University Health Network, Toronto General Hospital, Toronto, Ontario
Can J Psychiatry 53:745-52. 2008..To determine Canadian psychiatry residents' perceived gaps in physician-manager competencies during their residency training...
- Physicians as managers: psychiatry residents' perceived gaps in knowledge and skills in administrative psychiatrySanjeev Sockalingam
Department of Psychiatry, University of Toronto, St Michael s Hospital, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Acad Psychiatry 31:304-7. 2007..The authors determine psychiatry residents' perceived needs and educational preferences for a physician-manager curriculum...
- Teaching the physician-manager role to psychiatric residents: development and implementation of a pilot curriculumVicky Stergiopoulos
Department of Psychiatry, University of Toronto, Ontario M5B 1W8, Canada
Acad Psychiatry 33:125-30. 2009..The authors describe a pilot physician-manager curriculum designed to address the learning needs of psychiatric residents in administrative psychiatry and health systems...
- Teaching and learning the physician manager role: psychiatry residents' perspectivesVicky Stergiopoulos
University of Toronto, St Michael s Hospital, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Med Teach 32:e308-14. 2010....
- Clozapine-induced hypersalivation: a review of treatment strategiesSanjeev Sockalingam
Department of Psychiatry, University of Toronto, Ontario
Can J Psychiatry 52:377-84. 2007..The purpose of this review is to provide an understanding of CIH, specifically, its pathophysiology, measurement, and the evidence for CIH treatment alternatives...
- Managing the neuropsychiatric complications of hepatitis C treatmentSanjeev Sockalingam
Department of Psychiatry, Centre for Addiction and Mental Health, Toronto, ON
Br J Hosp Med (Lond) 68:520-5. 2007..This article reviews the management of neuropsychiatric adverse effects and the risks of interferon-alpha treatment to psychiatric patients...
- Implementing a new physician manager curriculum into a psychiatry residency training program: the change process, barriers and facilitatorsJulie D Maggi
University of Toronto, Toronto, ON, Canada
Psychiatr Q 79:21-31. 2008..Additionally, the article focuses on the role of the psychiatrist in the process...
- Major depressive episode with psychotic features induced by pegylated interferon-alpha-2b and ribavirin treatmentSanjeev Sockalingam
University of Toronto, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Int Clin Psychopharmacol 20:289-90. 2005..We report the first case of a major depressive episode with psychotic features induced by pegylated IFN-alpha-2b and ribavirin in the last 2 weeks of therapy...
- Use of animal-assisted therapy in the rehabilitation of an assault victim with a concurrent mood disorderSanjeev Sockalingam
Medical Psychiatry Service, St Michael s Hospital, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Issues Ment Health Nurs 29:73-84. 2008..A review of the relevant literature highlights the therapeutic potential of animal-assisted therapy to restore and maintain patient independence and level of functioning, both of which are key treatment goals...