Affiliation: University of Calgary
- Nonalcoholic steatohepatitis: more than just being fatEldon A Shaffer
Can J Gastroenterol 16:318-21. 2002
- Cholestasis: the ABCs of cellular mechanisms for impaired bile secretion--transporters and genesEldon A Shaffer
Division of Gastroenterology, Health Science Centre, University of Calgary, 3330 Hospital Drive NW, Calgary, Alberta T2N 4N1, Canada
Can J Gastroenterol 16:380-9. 2002..This review identifies the basic physiology of bile production and the actions of the key transporters, indicates the clinical relevance and possible treatments of transport disorders, and provides an illustrative case...
- Gallstone disease: Epidemiology of gallbladder stone diseaseEldon A Shaffer
Division of Gastroenterology, Health Science Centre, University of Calgary, 3330 Hospital Dr SW, Calgary, Alberta T2N4N1, Canada
Best Pract Res Clin Gastroenterol 20:981-96. 2006..The only established dietary risk is a high caloric intake. Protective factors include diets containing fibre, vegetable protein, nuts, calcium, vitamin C, coffee and alcohol, plus physical activity...
- Increased cholinergic contractions of jejunal smooth muscle caused by a high cholesterol diet are prevented by the 5-HT4 agonist--tegaserodRonald Mathison
Department of Physiology and Biophysics, University of Calgary, Calgary, AB, T2N 4N1, Canada
BMC Gastroenterol 6:8. 2006..In this study we examined the effect of tegaserod on cholesterol-induced changes in the contractile responses of intestinal smooth muscle...
- Gallstone disease: current therapeutic practiceChad I Williams
Eldon A Shaffer, MD, FRCP Division of Gastroenterology, University of Calgary, Translational Research and Wellness Building, Room 6D29, 3280 Hospital Drive NW, Calgary, Alberta T2N4N1, Canada
Curr Treat Options Gastroenterol 11:71-7. 2008..Endoscopic retrograde cholangiopancreatography with endoscopic sphincterotomy represents the therapeutic cornerstone for managing severe pancreatitis and cholangitis...
- Bariatric surgery: a promising solution for nonalcoholic steatohepatitis in the very obeseEldon A Shaffer
Department of Medicine, Division of Gastroenterology, Faculty of Medicine, University of Calgary, Calgary, Alberta, Canada
J Clin Gastroenterol 40:S44-50. 2006..These promising procedures will undoubtedly increase and constitute the major therapeutic modality for those who are severely obese...
- Acalculous biliary pain: new concepts for an old entityE Shaffer
Division of Gastroenterology, Faculty of Medicine, University of Calgary, Health Science Centre, 3330 Hospital Drive NW, Calgary, Alta, Canada T2N 4N1
Dig Liver Dis 35:S20-5. 2003..Nonetheless, functional biliary pain in the absence of gallstone disease is a definite entity and a challenge for clinicians...
- Epidemiology and risk factors for gallstone disease: has the paradigm changed in the 21st century?Eldon A Shaffer
Faculty of Medicine, GI Division, University of Calgary, Canada
Curr Gastroenterol Rep 7:132-40. 2005..Our abundant access to food places us at the increased risk of obesity and cholelithiasis. The general rise in obesity in many countries raises the specter of heightened disease, best identified by epidemiologic studies...
- Can MRCP replace ERCP in the diagnosis of congenital bile-duct cysts?Eldon Shaffer
Division of Gastroenterology, Department of Medicine at the University of Calgary, AB, Canada
Nat Clin Pract Gastroenterol Hepatol 3:76-7. 2006
- Effects of tegaserod on bile composition and hepatic secretion in Richardson ground squirrels on an enriched cholesterol dietRonald Mathison
Department of Physiology and Biophysics, Faculty of Medicine, University of Calgary, Calgary, AB, 2N 4N1, Canada
Lipids Health Dis 5:15. 2006....
- The battle against the obesity epidemic: is bariatric surgery the perfect weapon?Shahzeer Karmali
Department of Surgery, Division of General Surgery, University of Calgary, Calgary, AB, Canada
Clin Invest Med 28:147-56. 2005..Hence, organizations such as the National Institutes of Health and the Surgeon General of the U.S. are urging development of new strategies to curb this epidemic...
- Simmering innards: Does irritable bowel syndrome have an immunological basis?Christopher N Andrews
Can J Gastroenterol 18:601-3. 2004
- Changes in gallbladder motility and gallstone formation following laparoscopic gastric banding for morbid obestityBilal O Al-Jiffry
Departmentof General and Digestive Surgery, Flinders University of South Australia, Adelaide, Australia
Can J Gastroenterol 17:169-74. 2003..The accompanying reduction in gallbladder emptying, increased gallbladder residual volume and decreased refilling promote gallbladder stasis and hence stone formation...
- The hot air and cold facts of dietary fibreCarla S Coffin
Division of Gastroenterology, Faculty of Medicine, University of Calgary, Calgary, Canada
Can J Gastroenterol 20:255-6. 2006
- Effects of bioactive agents on biliary motor functionCharmaine M Woods
Department of General and Digestive Surgery, Flinders University of South Australia, Adelaide, Australia 5042
Curr Gastroenterol Rep 5:154-9. 2003....
- Gallbladder polyps: epidemiology, natural history and managementRobert P Myers
Division of Gastroenterology, University of Calgary, Calgary, Canada
Can J Gastroenterol 16:187-94. 2002..Novel imaging techniques, including endoscopic ultrasonography and enhanced computed tomography, may aid in the differential diagnosis of these lesions and permit expectant management...