Genomes and Genes
Affiliation: University of British Columbia
- Characterisation of integrin-linked kinase signalling in sporadic human colon cancerA Marotta
Jack Bell Research Center, 2660 Oak Street, Vancouver, BC, Canada V6H 3Z6
Br J Cancer 88:1755-62. 2003....
- PD98059 attenuates hydrogen peroxide-induced cell death through inhibition of Jun N-Terminal Kinase in HT29 cellsB S Salh
Jack Bell Research Centre, 2660 Oak Street, Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada V6H 3Z6
Mol Cell Biol Res Commun 4:158-65. 2000....
- Autoimmune cholangitis mimicking a klatskin tumor: a case reportAlexandra Shingina
Division of Gastroenterology, 2775, Laurel Street, Vancouver, British Columbia, V5Z 1M9, Canada
J Med Case Reports 5:485. 2011..abstract:..
- c-Jun N-terminal kinases as potential therapeutic targetsBaljinder Salh
University of British Columbia, Department of Medicine, Vancouver, BC, Canada
Expert Opin Ther Targets 11:1339-53. 2007..With roles described in almost all classes of disease, the main questions are what type of inhibitor to use and when exactly to use it during the disease course?..
- Dissociated ROS production and ceramide generation in sulfasalazine-induced cell death in Raw 264.7 cellsB Salh
The Jack Bell Research Centre, Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
J Leukoc Biol 72:790-9. 2002..In conclusion, the cell-death response induced by SSZ in Raw 264.7 cells involves ROS in the apoptotic limb but is independent of ceramide formation...
- Investigation of interleukin 1beta-mediated regulation of NF-kappaB activation in colonic cells reveals divergence between PKB and PDK-transduced eventsKuljit Parhar
Division of Gastroenterology, Faculty of Medicine, The Jack Bell Research Centre, 2660 Oak Street, Vancouver, BC, Canada
Mol Cell Biochem 300:113-27. 2007..Our data reveals for the first time that PDK1 and PKB may differentially activate NF-kappaB, and that TPCK may subserve a useful anti-inflammatory function by inhibiting IKKbeta...
- The specific JNK inhibitor SP600125 targets tumour necrosis factor-alpha production and epithelial cell apoptosis in acute murine colitisKiran Assi
The Jack Bell Research Centre, Vancouver, BC, Canada
Immunology 118:112-21. 2006..Strikingly, we also demonstrate reduced epithelial cell apoptosis in response to treatment with SP600125. We conclude that specific inhibition of JNK is beneficial in the DSS model of colitis, and may be of value in human IBD...
- 5,6-Dichloro-ribifuranosylbenzimidazole- and apigenin-induced sensitization of colon cancer cells to TNF-alpha-mediated apoptosisMyriam Farah
Division of Gastroenterology, Univ of British Columbia, 100 2647 Willow St, Vancouver BC V5Z 3P1, Canada
Am J Physiol Gastrointest Liver Physiol 285:G919-28. 2003..Our findings indicate a potentially novel strategy for the treatment of colon cancer, one that targets CK2 simultaneous with TNF-alpha administration...
- The role of protein kinase CK2 in intestinal epithelial cell inflammatory signalingKuljit Parhar
The Jack Bell Research Center, 2660 Oak Street, V6H 3Z6, Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
Int J Colorectal Dis 22:601-9. 2007..One such potential signaling candidate is the protein kinase CK2. Despite its known ability to influence NF-kappaB activation, it has received no attention in this particular setting...
- Requirement of epithelial integrin-linked kinase for facilitation of Citrobacter rodentium-induced colitisKiran Assi
Division of Gastroenterology, Department of Medicine, The University of British Columbia, 5th Floor, 2775 Laurel Street, V5Z 1M9 Vancouver, BC, Canada
BMC Gastroenterol 13:137. 2013..Recently ILK been shown to have an important role in bacterial epithelial cell attachment, through ILK-bacterial OspE binding. Here we report on the role of epithelial derived ILK in response to Citrobacter rodentium infection...
- Role of epithelial integrin-linked kinase in promoting intestinal inflammation: effects on CCL2, fibronectin and the T cell repertoireKiran Assi
Department of Medicine, The Jack Bell Research Centre, 2660 Oak Street, Vancouver, British Columbia, V6H 3Z6, Canada
BMC Immunol 12:42. 2011..Hence, we aimed to investigate the role of epithelial-derived integrin-linked kinase (ILK), a critical integrin signaling intermediary molecule, in colonic inflammation...
- Curcumin mediates ceramide generation via the de novo pathway in colon cancer cellsMaryam Moussavi
The Jack Bell Research Centre, 2660 Oak Street, Vancouver, BC, Canada
Carcinogenesis 27:1636-44. 2006..Hence, we conclude that curcumin induces apoptosis via a ROS-associated mechanism that converges on JNK activation, and to a lesser extent via a parallel ceramide-associated pathway...
- Differential targeting of protein kinase B in cell death induced by sulindac and its metabolite sulindac sulfideAnthony Marotta
Department of Medicine, University of British Columbia, Jack Bell Research Center, Vancouver, BC V6H 3Z6, Canada
Int J Oncol 28:1471-9. 2006....
- Expression of integrin-linked kinase is not a useful prognostic marker in resected hepatocellular cancerPongphob Intaraprasong
Department of Medicine, University of British Columbia, Vancouver BC, Canada
Anticancer Res 27:4371-6. 2007..Unfortunately there are no available reliable markers of prognosis. The aim of this study was to determine whether integrin-linked kinase (ILK) expression correlates with post-resection survival from HCC. Patients and..
- The importance of integrin-linked kinase in the regulation of bladder cancer invasionYoshiyuki Matsui
The Vancouver Prostate Centre, University of British Columbia, Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
Int J Cancer 130:521-31. 2012..ILK may be a new molecular target to suppress tumor progression in advanced and high-risk bladder cancer patients...
- Amelioration of dextran sulphate sodium-induced colitis in mice by echinacoside-enriched extract of Cistanche tubulosaYamin Jia
College of Agriculture and Biotechnology, China Agricultural University, Beijing, China Immunity and Infection Research Centre, Vancouver Coastal Health Research Institute, Vancouver, BC, Canada
Phytother Res 28:110-9. 2014..These data suggest that ECH extract possesses a greater efficacy in preventing DSS-induced colitis in mice, implying the potential of ECH or its derivatives for clinically treating inflammatory bowel disease...
- The p38 mitogen-activated protein kinase regulates interleukin-1beta-induced IL-8 expression via an effect on the IL-8 promoter in intestinal epithelial cellsKuljit Parhar
Department of Medicine, The Jack Bell Research Centre, Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
Immunology 108:502-12. 2003....
- Hypovitaminosis D in adults with inflammatory bowel disease: potential role of ethnicityYi Tzu Nancy Fu
Division of Gastroenterology, Department of Medicine, Gordon and Leslie Diamond Health Care Centre, University of British Columbia, 5th Floor, 2775 Laurel St, Vancouver, BC, V5Z 1M9, Canada
Dig Dis Sci 57:2144-8. 2012..Our aim was therefore to determine the ethnic variation in serum 25-hydroxyvitamin D status and its association with disease severity in adults with IBD...
- Dysregulation of phosphatidylinositol 3-kinase and downstream effectors in human breast cancerBaljinder Salh
The Department of Medicine, Jack Bell Research Center, University of British Columbia, Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
Int J Cancer 98:148-54. 2002..It is proposed that this pathway may serve as a useful targeting nexus for investigation of small molecule inhibitors in human breast cancer...
- 5-Aminosalicylate stimulates phospholipase D activity in macrophagesA Gomez-Munoz
Division of Gastroenterology, Department of Medicine, University of British Columbia, 100 2647 Willow St, V5Z 3P1, Vancouver, BC, Canada
Biochim Biophys Acta 1533:110-8. 2001....
- Regulation of mitotic cytoskeleton dynamics and cytokinesis by integrin-linked kinase in retinoblastoma cellsWilliam K A Sikkema
Department of Biology, Trinity Western University, Langley, British Columbia, Canada
PLoS ONE 9:e98838. 2014..These studies extend those indicating a critical function for ILK in mitotic cytoskeletal organization and describe a novel role for ILK in cytokinesis of Rb deficient cells. ..
- Ethnic variation in the annual rates of adult inflammatory bowel disease in hospitalized patients in Vancouver, British ColumbiaBirinder K Mangat
Department of Medicine, University of British Columbia, Vancouver, British Columbia
Can J Gastroenterol 25:73-7. 2011..Migrating populations and changing demographics in Vancouver, British Columbia (BC) provide a unique opportunity to examine the role of ethnicity in the prevalence, expression and complications of IBD...
- Development of testicular germ cell cancer following successful infliximab induction therapy for ulcerative colitisJohn C T Wong
Department of Medicine, University of British Columbia, Vancouver, Canada
J Crohns Colitis 5:162-4. 2011..Given the prevalence of IBD in young men and recent suggestions for "top-down therapy," testicular cancer as a potential complication of anti-TNFα agents should be further explored on a population basis...
- Advanced colon cancer before the age of 20 years: a case for extension of the current colonoscopy surveillance guidelines in hereditary nonpolyposis colorectal cancer syndromeVictor K Wong
Division of Gastroenterology, Department of Medicine, University of British Columbia, Vancouver, BC, Canada
Can J Gastroenterol 18:319-20. 2004..Hereditary nonpolyposis colorectal cancer (HNPCC) currently accounts for between 2% to 6% of all colorectal adenocarcinomas. Controversies exist regarding the current guidelines for colonoscopic screening for colon cancer...
- Dysregulation of integrin-linked kinase (ILK) signaling in colonic polyposisA Marotta
Jack Bell Research Center, 2660 Oak Street, Vancouver, BC, Canada V6H 3Z6
Oncogene 20:6250-7. 2001..Additionally, ILK signaling is shown to undergo modulation by sulindac (and aspirin) for the first time, indicating that it is likely to be one of the targets affected by these agents in vivo...
- Curcumin attenuates DNB-induced murine colitisB Salh
Jack Bell Research Centre, Children and Women s Hospital, Vancouver, BC, Canada V5Z 3P1
Am J Physiol Gastrointest Liver Physiol 285:G235-43. 2003..We propose that this agent may have therapeutic implications for human IBD...