Affiliation: University of Ottawa
- A randomized trial of a computerized versus an audio-booklet decision aid for women considering post-menopausal hormone replacement therapyAlaa Rostom
Department of Medicine, University of Ottawa, Ottawa Hospital, Civic Campus, 1053 Carling Avenue, Ont, Ottawa, Canada K1Y 4E9
Patient Educ Couns 46:67-74. 2002..019). The results of this study have implications for future DA design, and other areas where patient Kn and understanding are important, such as in the setting of informed consent...
- The diagnostic accuracy of serologic tests for celiac disease: a systematic reviewAlaa Rostom
Gastrointestinal Clinical Research Unit, University of Ottawa, Ottawa, Canada
Gastroenterology 128:S38-46. 2005..If true, the nearly perfect negative predictive value of these tests would drop. The positive predictive value of these tests is likely lower than reported when the tests are applied in low-prevalence populations...
- The prevalence of celiac disease in average-risk and at-risk Western European populations: a systematic reviewCatherine Dube
Gastrointestinal Clinical Research Unit, University of Ottawa, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Gastroenterology 128:S57-67. 2005..The prevalence is higher still in high-risk groups. Clinicians in a variety of specialties should have a high index of suspicion for the diagnosis of CD and in particular need to pay close attention to the identified high-risk groups...
- Consequences of testing for celiac diseaseAnn Cranney
Ottawa Health Research Institute, Ottawa, Canada
Gastroenterology 128:S109-20. 2005..The literature suggests that compliance is less than ideal in these individuals, especially if diagnosed when adults. Long-term outcomes have not been extensively studied in those with silent CD...
- A randomized prospective trial comparing different regimens of oral sodium phosphate and polyethylene glycol-based lavage solution in the preparation of patients for colonoscopyAlaa Rostom
Division of Gastroenterology, The Ottawa Hospital, University of Ottawa, Ottawa, Canada
Gastrointest Endosc 64:544-52. 2006..Regulatory agencies have warned clinicians regarding the risk of electrolyte abnormalities if more than two 45-mL bottles of oral sodium phosphate (NaP) solution are administered within a 24-hour period...
- Development and validation of a nurse-assessed patient comfort score for colonoscopyAlaa Rostom
Division of Gastroenterology, Department of Medicine, University of Calgary, Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Gastrointest Endosc 77:255-61. 2013..Comfort during colonoscopy is a critical component of safety and quality...
- Upper gastrointestinal bleeding secondary to an aberrant right subclavian artery-esophageal fistula: a case report and review of the literatureAdam Millar
Faculty of Medicine, University of Ottawa, Ottawa, Canada
Can J Gastroenterol 21:389-92. 2007..A high index of suspicion is needed to make the diagnosis. This condition should be considered in patients with risk factors combined with hemodynamically significant gastrointestinal bleeding...
- Prevalence of adenomas and colorectal cancer in average risk individuals: a systematic review and meta-analysisSteven J Heitman
Department of Medicine, University of Calgary, Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Clin Gastroenterol Hepatol 7:1272-8. 2009..The objectives of our study were to determine the pooled prevalence of adenomas and colorectal cancer, as well as nonadvanced and advanced adenomas, among average risk North Americans...
- A Canadian clinical practice algorithm for the management of patients with nonvariceal upper gastrointestinal bleedingAlan Barkun
Department of Medicine, McGill University, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Can J Gastroenterol 18:605-9. 2004..To use current evidence-based recommendations to provide a user-friendly clinical algorithm for the management of upper gastrointestinal bleeding, adapted to the Canadian environment...
- Gaps in the evaluation and monitoring of new pharmaceuticals: proposal for a different approachAndreas Laupacis
Institute for Clinical Evaluative Sciences, Toronto Ont
CMAJ 169:1167-70. 2003
- American Gastroenterological Association (AGA) Institute technical review on the diagnosis and management of celiac diseaseAlaa Rostom
Division of Gastroenterology, Foothills Medical Centre, University of Calgary, Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Gastroenterology 131:1981-2002. 2006
- Gastrointestinal safety of cyclooxygenase-2 inhibitors: a Cochrane Collaboration systematic reviewAlaa Rostom
Division of Gastroenterology, University of Calgary, Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Clin Gastroenterol Hepatol 5:818-28, 828.e1-5; quiz 768. 2007..The aim of this study was to assess the upper gastrointestinal (GI) harms of the long-term use of COX-2s, compared with nonselective NSAIDs and placebo, in arthritis sufferers...
- 2007 Canadian Association of Gastroenterology Educational Needs Assessment ReportAlaa Rostom
Canadian Association of Gastroenterology
Can J Gastroenterol 21:519-21. 2007