Affiliation: University of Alberta
- Critical thinking and evidence-based practiceJoanne Profetto-McGrath
Faculty of Nursing, University of Alberta, Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
J Prof Nurs 21:364-71. 2005..The intents of this study were to explore the importance of CT as an essential skill to support EBP and to describe some of the strategies and processes considered key to the ongoing development of CT...
- The relationship of critical thinking skills and critical thinking dispositions of baccalaureate nursing studentsJoanne Profetto-McGrath
Faculty of Nursing, University of Alberta, Alberta, Canada
J Adv Nurs 43:569-77. 2003..This paper presents the results of a non-experimental study conducted in spring 1998, identifies implications for nurse educators, and offers recommendations for future research...
- The questioning skills of tutors and students in a context based baccalaureate nursing programJoanne Profetto-McGrath
Faculty of Nursing, 3rd Floor Clinical Sciences Building, University of Alberta, Edmonton, Alberta T6G 2G3, Canada
Nurse Educ Today 24:363-72. 2004..Future research using a cross sectional longitudinal design and qualitative approaches are also recommended. This study has direct implications for enhancing student learning and the development of nurse educators...
- Nurse educators' critical thinking dispositions and research utilizationJoanne Profetto-McGrath
University of Alberta, 3rd Floor Clinical Sciences Building, Edmonton, Alberta T6G 2G3, Canada
Nurse Educ Pract 9:199-208. 2009..Education of nurse educators must include critical thinking to maximize their role in promoting research use as part of evidence-based practice...
- Clinical nurse specialists' approaches in selecting and using evidence to improve practiceJoanne Profetto-McGrath
University of Alberta, Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Worldviews Evid Based Nurs 7:36-50. 2010....
- Clinical nurse specialists' use of evidence in practice: a pilot studyJoanne Profetto-McGrath
Faculty of Nursing, Knowledge Utilization Studies Program KUSP, and Centre for Knowledge Transfer, University of Alberta, Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Worldviews Evid Based Nurs 4:86-96. 2007..While several researchers have studied the use of evidence by nurses in general, no known studies have been focused specifically on the use of evidence by CNSs...
- What's in a question?Joanne Profetto-McGrath
Faculty of Nursing, University of Alberta, Edmonton, Alberta
Can Nurse 99:29. 2003
- Implementing nursing practice guidelines: a complex undertakingLars Wallin
Faculty of Nursing, University of Alberta, Edmonton, Canada
J Wound Ostomy Continence Nurs 32:294-300; discussion 300-1. 2005..An overview of the literature in the field is provided, and the authors' experiences are shared, and a few recommendations are tentatively provided...
- Towards better measures of research utilization: a collaborative study in Canada and SwedenCarole A Estabrooks
University of Alberta, Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
J Adv Nurs 67:1705-18. 2011..This paper is a report of a study examining research utilization in nursing. The specific aims were to (1) clarify the construct of research utilization, and (2) identify observable indicators of research utilization...
- Mapping the knowledge utilization field in nursing from 1945 to 2004: a bibliometric analysisShannon D Scott
Faculty of Nursing, University of Alberta, Edmonton, AB, Canada
Worldviews Evid Based Nurs 7:226-37. 2010..In order to address the challenges and current knowledge gaps in the knowledge utilization field in nursing, a comprehensive picture of the current state of the field is required...
- Critical thinking as an outcome of context-based learning among post RN students: a literature reviewJudith A Worrell
Faculty of Nursing, 3rd Floor Clinical Sciences Building, University of Alberta, Edmonton, Alta, Canada T6G 2G3
Nurse Educ Today 27:420-6. 2007..There is a need for additional research and ongoing development of valid and reliable instruments to measure CT in nurses to guide teaching and learning strategies that effectively facilitate CT among nursing students...
- Profiling Canadian nurses' preferred knowledge sources for clinical practiceCarole A Estabrooks
Faculty of Nursing, Centre for Knowledge Transfer, University of Alberta, Edmonton, Canada
Can J Nurs Res 37:118-40. 2005....
- Sources of practice knowledge among nursesCarole A Estabrooks
Knowledge Utilization Studies Program, University of Alberta, Edmonton, Canada
Qual Health Res 15:460-76. 2005..The insights gained add new understanding about sources of knowledge used by nurses and challenge the disproportionate weight that proponents of the evidence-based movement ascribe to research knowledge...
- Emotional intelligence and nursing: an integrative literature reviewKaren Bulmer Smith
Building Provider Capacity in Knowledge Creation, Utilization and Transfer Research Program, Faculty of Nursing, 3rd Floor Clinical Science Building, University of Alberta, Edmonton, Canada T6G 2G3
Int J Nurs Stud 46:1624-36. 2009..The purpose of this paper is to present findings of an integrative literature review related to emotional intelligence (EI) and nursing...
- A study of critical thinking and research utilization among nursesJoanne Profetto-McGrath
Faculty of Nursing, University of Alberta, Canada
West J Nurs Res 25:322-37. 2003..These findings indicate a need to foster critical thinking in both nursing education and the work environment...
- Leadership practices and staff nurses' intent to stay: a systematic reviewTracy Cowden
Portage College, Cold Lake Professor, University of Alberta, Edmonton, Canada
J Nurs Manag 19:461-77. 2011..The aim of the present study was to describe the findings of a systematic review of the literature that examined the relationship between managers' leadership practices and staff nurses' intent to stay in their current position...
- Increasing retention of new graduate nurses: a systematic review of interventions by healthcare organizationsJennifer Salt
Calgary Health Region, Alberta, Canada
J Nurs Adm 38:287-96. 2008..Evidence for the effectiveness of implementation strategies is limited; however, it is apparent from all the studies reviewed that implementing a retention strategy is effective for increasing retention rates of NGNs...
- An inventory of nursing education researchOlive J Yonge
University of Alberta
Int J Nurs Educ Scholarsh 2:Article 11. 2005..To describe nursing education research literature in terms of quality, content areas under investigation, geographic location of the research, research designs utilized, sample sizes, instruments used to collect data, and funding sources...