Affiliation: University of Alberta
- Mamik M, Hui E, Branton W, McKenzie B, Chisholm J, Cohen E, et al. HIV-1 Viral Protein R Activates NLRP3 Inflammasome in Microglia: implications for HIV-1 Associated Neuroinflammation. J Neuroimmune Pharmacol. 2017;12:233-248 pubmed publisher..Thus, Vpr-induced NLRP3 inflammasome activation, which contributed to neuroinflammation and was abrogated by caspase-1 inhibition. This study provides a new therapeutic perspective for HIV-associated neuropsychiatric disease. ..
- Na H, Acharjee S, Jones G, Vivithanaporn P, Noorbakhsh F, McFarlane N, et al. Interactions between human immunodeficiency virus (HIV)-1 Vpr expression and innate immunity influence neurovirulence. Retrovirology. 2011;8:44 pubmed publisher..05). These observations underscored the potent neuropathogenic properties of Vpr but also indicated viral diversity modulates innate neuroimmunity and neurodegeneration. ..
- Power C, Hui E, Vivithanaporn P, Acharjee S, Polyak M. Delineating HIV-associated neurocognitive disorders using transgenic models: the neuropathogenic actions of Vpr. J Neuroimmune Pharmacol. 2012;7:319-31 pubmed publisher..The availability of different transgenic models to study HIV neuropathogenesis represents exciting and innovative approaches to understanding disease mechanisms and perhaps developing new therapeutic strategies in the future. ..
- Asahchop E, Meziane O, Mamik M, Chan W, Branton W, Resch L, et al. Reduced antiretroviral drug efficacy and concentration in HIV-infected microglia contributes to viral persistence in brain. Retrovirology. 2017;14:47 pubmed publisher..These findings suggest that viral suppression in brain is feasible but new approaches to enhancing ART efficacy and concentrations in brain are required for sustained HIV-1 eradication from brain. ..
- Power C. Neurologic disease in feline immunodeficiency virus infection: disease mechanisms and therapeutic interventions for NeuroAIDS. J Neurovirol. 2017;: pubmed publisher..Thus, FIV infection of the nervous system provides a valuable comparative in vivo model for discovering and evaluating disease mechanisms as well as developing therapeutic strategies for NeuroAIDS in humans...