M S C Pedras
Affiliation: University of Saskatchewan
- Pedras M, Park M. Metabolite diversity in the plant pathogen Alternaria brassicicola: factors affecting production of brassicicolin A, depudecin, phomapyrone A and other metabolites. Mycologia. 2015;107:1138-50 pubmed publisher..0 mM). Epigenetic modifiers, 5-azacitidin (5-AZA), suberoylanilide hydroxamic acid (SAHA) and suberoyl bis-hydroxamic acid (SBHA) do not affect the metabolite profiles of liquid cultures of this fungal pathogen. ..
- Pedras M, Minic Z, Sarma Mamillapalle V. Substrate specificity and inhibition of brassinin hydrolases, detoxifying enzymes from the plant pathogens Leptosphaeria maculans and Alternaria brassicicola. FEBS J. 2009;276:7412-28 pubmed publisher..The current information should facilitate the design of specific synthetic inhibitors of these enzymes for plant treatments against blackleg and black spot fungal infections. ..
- Pedras M, Abdoli A. Metabolism of the phytoalexins camalexins, their bioisosteres and analogues in the plant pathogenic fungus Alternaria brassicicola. Bioorg Med Chem. 2013;21:4541-9 pubmed publisher..Based on these results, the potential intermediates that lead to formation of indole-3-thiocarboxamides are proposed. ..
- Pedras M, To Q. Unveiling the first indole-fused thiazepine: structure, synthesis and biosynthesis of cyclonasturlexin, a remarkable cruciferous phytoalexin. Chem Commun (Camb). 2016;52:5880-3 pubmed publisher..Herein the chemical structure, synthesis, biosynthesis and antifungal activity of cyclonasturlexin, the most intriguing indolyl phytoalexin isolated to date, are reported. ..
- Pedras M, Chumala P. Phomapyrones from blackleg causing phytopathogenic fungi: isolation, structure determination, biosyntheses and biological activity. Phytochemistry. 2005;66:81-7 pubmed..In addition, based on results of incorporations of 13C-labeled acetate and malonate, and deuterated methionine, a polyketide pathway is proposed for the biosyntheses of phomapyrones. ..
- Pedras M, Yaya E, Glawischnig E. The phytoalexins from cultivated and wild crucifers: chemistry and biology. Nat Prod Rep. 2011;28:1381-405 pubmed publisher..A summary table containing all phytoalexins, their cultivated and wild cruciferous sources, their synthetic starting materials, biotransformation products and biological activities is provided. ..
- Pedras M, Hossain S, Snitynsky R. Detoxification of cruciferous phytoalexins in Botrytis cinerea: spontaneous dimerization of a camalexin metabolite. Phytochemistry. 2011;72:199-206 pubmed publisher..A strongly antifungal bisindolylthiadiazole that B. cinerea could not detoxify was discovered, which resulted from spontaneous oxidative dimerization of 3-indolethiocarboxamide, a camalexin detoxification product. ..
- Pedras M, Abdoli A. Biotransformation of rutabaga phytoalexins by the fungus Alternaria brassicicola: Unveiling the first hybrid metabolite derived from a phytoalexin and a fungal polyketide. Bioorg Med Chem. 2017;25:557-567 pubmed publisher..Phytoalexins resistant to degradation by A. brassicicola are expected to provide the producing plants with higher disease resistance levels. ..
- Pedras M, To Q. Defense and signalling metabolites of the crucifer Erucastrum canariense: Synchronized abiotic induction of phytoalexins and galacto-oxylipins. Phytochemistry. 2017;139:18-24 pubmed publisher..In addition, arabidopsides A and D were also identified in extracts of leaves of Nasturtium officinale R. Br. ..
- Pedras M, Abdoli A, Sarma Mamillapalle V. Inhibitors of the Detoxifying Enzyme of the Phytoalexin Brassinin Based on Quinoline and Isoquinoline Scaffolds. Molecules. 2017;22: pubmed publisher..Overall, these results indicate that the quinoline scaffold is a good lead to design paldoxins (phytoalexin detoxification inhibitors) that inhibit the detoxification of brassinin by L. maculans. ..