Affiliation: University of Toronto
- Aligning method with theory: a comparison of two approaches to modeling the social determinants of healthPatricia O'Campo
Centre for Research on Inner City Health, The Keenan Research Centre in the Li Ka Shing Knowledge Institute, St Michael s Hospital, 30 Bond St, Toronto, ON, M5B 1W8, Canada
Matern Child Health J 16:1870-8. 2012....
- Uncovering neighbourhood influences on intimate partner violence using concept mappingPatricia O'Campo
Centre for Research on Inner City Health, St Michael s Hospital, 30 Bond Street, Toronto, Ontario, Canada M5B 1W8
J Epidemiol Community Health 59:603-8. 2005..These results can be used to generate testable hypotheses regarding neighbourhood influences on intimate partner violence in future quantitative research and to inform the design of public health intimate partner violence programmes...
- Implementing successful intimate partner violence screening programs in health care settings: evidence generated from a realist-informed systematic reviewPatricia O'Campo
Centre for Research on Inner City Health, The Keenan Research Centre in Li Ka Shing Knowledge Institute, St Michael s Hospital, 30 Bond St, Toronto ON M5B 1W8, Canada
Soc Sci Med 72:855-66. 2011..Further implications for IPV screening intervention planning and implementation in health care settings are discussed...
- Partner abuse or violence, parenting and neighborhood influences on children's behavioral problemsPatricia O'Campo
The Centre for Research on Inner City Health, The Kennan Research Centre, Li Ka Shing Knowledge Institute of St Michael s Hospital, 30 Bond Street, Toronto, ON, Canada M5B 1W8
Soc Sci Med 70:1404-15. 2010..These interactions between neighborhood factors and IPV were not explained by parental factors...
- Neighborhood deprivation and preterm birth among non-Hispanic Black and White women in eight geographic areas in the United StatesPatricia O'Campo
Centre for Research on Inner City Health, St Michael s Hospital, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Am J Epidemiol 167:155-63. 2008..08, 1.23) for non-Hispanic Blacks. In this study, deprivation at the neighborhood level was significantly associated with increased risk of preterm birth among both non-Hispanic White women and non-Hispanic Black women...
- Are residents of downtown Toronto influenced by their urban neighbourhoods? Using concept mapping to examine neighbourhood characteristics and their perceived impact on self-rated mental well-beingAmanda J Sheppard
Centre for Research on Inner City Health, Keenan Research Centre, Li Ka Shing Knowledge Institute of St, Michael s Hospital, 30 Bond Street, Toronto, Ontario, M5B 1W8, Canada
Int J Health Geogr 11:31. 2012..Few studies have actively investigated local residents' perceptions...
- Referral to health and social services for intimate partner violence in health care settings: a realist scoping reviewMaritt Kirst
Ontario Tobacco Research Unit, Dalla Lana School of Public Health, University of Toronto, Toronto, Canada
Trauma Violence Abuse 13:198-208. 2012..This scoping review provides guidance on what is currently known about IPV referral programs in health care settings and provides a starting point for further research on effectiveness of referral processes...
- Examining methodological details of neighbourhood observations and the relationship to health: a literature reviewNicole Schaefer-McDaniel
St Michael s Hospital, Centre for Research on Inner City Health, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Soc Sci Med 70:277-92. 2010..We see this review as a first step in developing sound observational measures of neighbourhood factors and conclude by providing recommendations for researchers undertaking neighbourhood observations in the future...
- Standardized observation of neighbourhood disorder: does it work in Canada?Janet A Parsons
Applied Health Research Centre, Li Ka Shing Knowledge Institute, St, Michael s Hospital, Toronto, Canada
Int J Health Geogr 9:6. 2010..This study evaluated the performance of a systematic social observational (SSO) tool (adapted from previous studies of American and British neighbourhoods) in a Canadian urban context...
- A review of Aboriginal infant mortality rates in Canada: striking and persistent Aboriginal/non-Aboriginal inequitiesJanet Smylie
Centre for Research on Inner City Health CRICH, St Michael s Hospital, 70 Richmond Street East, 4th Floor, Toronto, ON M5C 1 N8
Can J Public Health 101:143-8. 2010..Our objective was to better understand what is currently known about Aboriginal infant mortality rates (IMR) in Canada...
- Are we asking the right questions? A review of Canadian REB practices in relation to community-based participatory researchAdrian Guta
University of Toronto, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
J Empir Res Hum Res Ethics 5:35-46. 2010..We report on these differences and varying levels of sensitivity to CBPR. Finally, we highlight best practices and make recommendations for integrating CBPR principles into existing ethics review...
- Evaluating perceptions of the effectiveness of the community advisory panel model for enhancing service delivery to marginalized populationsJason T Ramsay
Department of Social Sciences, University of Toronto Scarborough, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Public Health Nurs 29:302-12. 2012..The objective of this study was to evaluate perceptions of the effectiveness of the community advisory panels (CAPs) at St. Michael's Hospital, in Toronto, Canada...
- Narcotic analgesic utilization amongst injured workers: using concept mapping to understand current issues from the perspectives of physicians and pharmacistsJanet A Parsons
Applied Health Research Centre, Li Ka Shing Knowledge Institute, St Michael s Hospital, 30 Bond St, Toronto, Ontario, M5B 1W8, Canada
BMC Health Serv Res 11:280. 2011..Factors contributing to NA utilization patterns are poorly understood. This qualitative study sought to characterize the factors contributing to NA utilization amongst injured workers from the perspectives of physicians and pharmacists...
- What is needed to implement a computer-assisted health risk assessment tool? An exploratory concept mapping studyFarah Ahmad
School of Health Policy and Management, York University, 4700 Keele Street, HNES Building, 4th Floor, Toronto, ON, M3J 1P3, Canada
BMC Med Inform Decis Mak 12:149. 2012....
- A scoping review of intersectoral action for health equity involving governmentsKetan Shankardass
The Centre for Research on Inner City Health, The Li Ka Shing Knowledge Institute of St Michael s Hospital, Toronto, Canada
Int J Public Health 57:25-33. 2012..We carried out a scoping review to identify and describe scholarly and grey literature referring to global cases of intersectoral action for health equity featuring a central role for governments...
- Introduction--Knowledge translation and urban health equity: advancing the agendaKelly Murphy
Li Ka Shing Knowledge Institute, Keenan Research Centre of St Michael s Hospital, Toronto, ON, Canada
J Urban Health 89:875-80. 2012..The third concerns the role that power plays in evidence-based policy making, when the issues at stake are not only empirical but also normative...
- Improving health equity through theory-informed evaluations: a look at housing first strategies, cross-sectoral health programs, and prostitution policyJames R Dunn
Department of Health, Aging and Society, McMaster University, 1280 Main St W, Hamilton, ON L8S 4M4, Canada
Eval Program Plann 36:184-90. 2013..The theoretically driven and transformative nature of these interventions create special demands for the use of theory in evaluations...
- Politics, welfare regimes, and population health: controversies and evidenceCarles Muntaner
Social Science and Health Research, Centre for Addiction and Mental Health CAMH and Global Health Program, University of Toronto, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Sociol Health Illn 33:946-64. 2011..We end by discussing epistemological, theoretical, and methodological issues for consideration for future research...
- Community-based services for homeless adults experiencing concurrent mental health and substance use disorders: a realist approach to synthesizing evidencePatricia O'Campo
The Centre for Research on Inner City Health, The Keenan Research Centre, LiKaShing Knowledge Institute, St Michael s Hospital, Toronto, Canada
J Urban Health 86:965-89. 2009..Our realist informed review is a useful methodology for synthesizing complex programming information on community-based interventions...
- Neighbourhoods and mental well-being: what are the pathways?Patricia O'Campo
The Centre for Research on Inner City Health, The Li Ka Shing Knowledge Institute of St Michael s Hospital, 30 Bond Street, Toronto, Ont, Canada M5B1 W8
Health Place 15:56-68. 2009..Concept mapping provides unique contributions and challenges and may provide a useful means of examining specific pathways from neighbourhood to health outcomes...
- Baltimore City Child Health Research CollaborativePATRICIA O CAMPO; Fiscal Year: 2007..abstract_text> ..