Affiliation: University of Toronto
- Kinetics of serum cytokines reflect changes in the severity of chronic hepatitis C presenting minimal fibrosisManuela G Neuman
Division of Clinical Pharmacology, Sunnybrook and Women s College Health Sciences Centre, University of Toronto, 2075 Bayview Avenue, Toronto, Ontario, M4N 3M5, Canada
J Viral Hepat 9:134-40. 2002..In conclusion, serum TNF-alpha reflects the progression of inflammation as seen in liver biopsies and TGF-beta reflects the degree of fibrosis in HCV patients...
- Cytokine--chemokine and apoptotic signatures in patients with hepatitis CManuela G Neuman
In Vitro Drug Safety and Biotechnology, MaRS Discovery Center, 101 College Street, Lab 351, Toronto, Ontario, M5G 1L7 Canada
Transl Res 149:126-36. 2007..In conclusion, cytokines, chemokines and apoptosis levels reflect the progression of inflammation and fibrosis in hepatitis C infected patients, but their signatures differ...
- Mechanisms of alcoholic liver disease: cytokinesM G Neuman
Sunnybrook and Women s College Health Sciences Centre, University of Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Alcohol Clin Exp Res 25:251S-253S. 2001..Maeyama, T. Uchikoshi, and G. Toda; and (8) Increased levels of macrophage migration inhibitory factor in sera from patients with alcoholic liver diseases, by T. Kumagi, S. M. F. Akbar, M. Abe, K. Michitaka, N. Horiike, and M. Onji...
- Monitoring adverse drug reactions to sulfonamide antibiotics in human immunodeficiency virus-infected individualsManuela G Neuman
Department of Pharmacology, University of Toronto, Canada
Ther Drug Monit 24:728-36. 2002..Larger patient populations, as well as in vitro studies are needed to further address the reasons for elevated results in immunocompromised patients and to validate the usefulness of the test...
- An electron microscopic and morphometric study of ursodeoxycholic effect in primary biliary cirrhosisManuela G Neuman
Division of Clinical Pharmacology, Sunnybrook and Women s Health Sciences Centre, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Liver 22:235-44. 2002..The study attempted to quantify perisinusoidal collagenization and the number of apoptotic bodies in PBC liver biopsies from patients in a randomized control trial treated with UDCA compared to those who received placebo...
- Ethanol signals for apoptosis in cultured skin cellsManuela G Neuman
Departments of Clinical Pharmacology, Dermatology, Medicine, and Laboratory Medicine, University of Toronto, M5S 1A1, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Alcohol 26:179-90. 2002..Therefore, even at low concentrations, ethanol may induce apoptosis in skin cells by enhancing the effects of TNF-alpha...
- Tumor necrosis factor-alpha and transforming growth factor-beta reflect severity of liver damage in primary biliary cirrhosisManuela Neuman
Division of Clinical Pharmacology, Sunnybrook and Women s Health Sciences Center, University of Toronto, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
J Gastroenterol Hepatol 17:196-202. 2002..Our aims were to determine: (i) the relationship between serum levels of TNF-alpha and TGF-beta and the severity of PBC; and (ii) the effects of UDCA therapy on TNF-alpha and TGF-beta levels in patients with PBC...
- Serum tumour necrosis factor-alpha and transforming growth factor-beta levels in chronic hepatitis C patients are immunomodulated by therapyManuela G Neuman
Division of Clinical Pharmacology, E 240, Sunnybrook and Women s College Health Sciences Centre, 2075 Bayview Avenue, Toronto, Ontario, M4N 3M5, Canada
Cytokine 17:108-17. 2002....
- CYP2E1-mediated modulation of valproic acid-induced hepatocytotoxicityM G Neuman
Division of Clinical Pharmacology, Sunnybrook and Women s College Health Sciences Centre and Department of Pathology, Toronto Health Network, Canada
Clin Biochem 34:211-8. 2001..To determine the cytotoxicity of valproic acid (VPA) and its metabolite, 4-ene-valproic acid (4-ene-VPA) in human hepatoblastoma cells (Hep G2), and to study the modulatory effect of cytochrome P450 2E1 induction in this model...
- Cytokine network in nonresponding chronic hepatitis C patients with genotype 1: role of triple therapy with interferon alpha, ribavirin, and ursodeoxycholateM G Neuman
Division of Clinical Pharmacology, E 240, Sunnybrook and Women s College Health Sciences Centre, Department of Pharmacology and Medicine, University of Toronto, 2075 Bayview Avenue, Toronto, Ontario, M4N 3M5, Canada
Clin Biochem 34:183-8. 2001....
- Cytokines as predictors for sustained response and as markers for immunomodulation in patients with chronic hepatitis CM G Neuman
Division of Clinical Pharmacology, E 240, Sunnybrook and Women s Health Sciences Centre, Department of Pharmacology, University of Toronto, 2075 Bayview Avenue, Toronto, M4N 3M5, Canada
Clin Biochem 34:173-82. 2001....
- Apoptosis in ibuprofen-induced Stevens-Johnson syndromeManuela Neuman
In Vitro Drug Safety and Biotechnology Laboratory, University of Toronto, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Transl Res 149:254-9. 2007..The same is the case with the apoptotic markers Fas, caspase activity, and M30. T-cell cytokines control the pathogenesis of SJS/TEN contributing to apoptotic processes in the liver and in the skin...
- Causal considerations on alcohol and HIV/AIDS--a systematic reviewPaul A Shuper
Centre for Addiction and Mental Health, 33 Russell Street, Room T 518, Toronto, Ontario, Canada M5S 2S1
Alcohol Alcohol 45:159-66. 2010..The study aimed to explore the possible causal nature of the association between alcohol consumption and HIV/AIDS...
- The splenic microenvironment is a source of proangiogenesis/inflammatory mediators accelerating the expansion of murine erythroleukemic cellsYuval Shaked
Department of Molecular and Cellular Biology, Sunnybrook and Women s College Health Sciences Centre, Toronto, ON, Canada
Blood 105:4500-7. 2005..These findings suggest that VEGF-A and MCP-5 are potentially pivotal paracrine mediators occurring within the diseased splenic microenvironment capable of promoting disease acceleration and expansion of erythroleukemic blasts...
- Molecular pathology and clinical aspects of alcohol-induced tissue injuryPatricia E Molina
Alcohol Research Center and Department of Physiology at Louisiana State University Health Sciences Center, New Orleans, Louisiana 70112, USA
Alcohol Clin Exp Res 26:120-8. 2002..Molina and Manuela Neuman. The presentations were (1) Mechanisms of alcohol-induced cell injury by Craig McClain; (2) Cytokines in ..
- Methionine deficiency and hepatic injury in a dietary steatohepatitis modelHelieh S Oz
Center for the Oral Health Research, Department of Internal Medicine, University of Kentucky Medical Center, Lexington, KY 40536, USA
Dig Dis Sci 53:767-76. 2008..These data support a pivotal role for methionine in the pathogenesis of the dietary model of Meth-choline-deficient (MCD) steatohepatitis (NASH)...