Brendan B McCormick
Affiliation: University of Ottawa
- Severe hypocalcemia following denosumab injection in a hemodialysis patientBrendan B McCormick
Division of Nephrology, Department of Medicine, University of Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Am J Kidney Dis 60:626-8. 2012..We advise against the use of denosumab in those treated with hemodialysis due to the risk of severe hypocalcemia and lack of evidence supporting its efficacy in treating osteoporosis in this population...
- Metabolic effects of incremental doses of intraperitoneal amino acids on automated peritoneal dialysisBrendan B McCormick
Division of Nephrology, Department of Medicine, The University of Ottawa, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Perit Dial Int 30:201-7. 2010..The use of amino acid (AA) dialysate to ameliorate protein-energy malnutrition has been limited by adverse metabolic effects...
- Noninfectious complications of peritoneal dialysis: implications for patient and technique survivalBrendan B McCormick
Division of Nephrology, Kidney Research Center, and Department of Medicine, University of Ottawa, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
J Am Soc Nephrol 18:3023-5. 2007..This clinical commentary focuses on these noninfectious complications of PD...
- The effect of pentoxifylline on proteinuria in diabetic kidney disease: a meta-analysisBrendan B McCormick
Division of Nephrology, Kidney Research Center, Ottawa Health Research Institute, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Am J Kidney Dis 52:454-63. 2008..Pentoxifylline is a potential therapeutic agent for diabetic kidney disease because it has anti-inflammatory, antifibrotic, and hemorheological properties...
- Complications and catheter survival with prolonged embedding of peritoneal dialysis cathetersPierre Antoine Brown
Department of Medicine, University of Ottawa, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Nephrol Dial Transplant 23:2299-303. 2008..We undertook this study to test the hypothesis that catheter survival on PD is a function of the time a catheter is left embedded prior to use...
- Peritoneal phosphate clearance is influenced by peritoneal dialysis modality, independent of peritoneal transport characteristicsSunil V Badve
Division of Nephrology, Department of Medicine, University of Ottawa, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Clin J Am Soc Nephrol 3:1711-7. 2008..The objective of this study was to test the hypothesis that peritoneal phosphate clearance is better with continuous ambulatory PD (CAPD) as compared with continuous cyclic PD (CCPD) after adjusting for membrane transport status...
- Clinical hypotension with co-prescription of macrolide antibiotics and calcium-channel blockers in haemodialysis patients: a retrospective chart reviewSwapnil Hiremath
The Renal Hypertension Unit, Division of Nephrology, Department of Medicine, University of Ottawa, Ottawa, ON, Canada
Drug Saf 36:989-93. 2013..Since these drugs are frequently used in the haemodialysis population, we studied the effect of their co-prescription on actual blood pressure...
- Pharmacologic treatment of hypertension in patients with chronic kidney diseaseHari Talreja
Department of Medicine, University of Ottawa, Ottawa, Canada
Am J Cardiovasc Drugs 13:177-88. 2013..Most patients will require multi-drug therapy for achieving target blood pressure goals. This review discusses the pharmacologic options in management of hypertension in various forms of chronic kidney disease...
- Emphysematous polycystic infection in a patient on peritoneal dialysisShankar Prasad Nagaraju
Department of Nephrology, University of Ottawa, Ottawa, Canada
Saudi J Kidney Dis Transpl 25:837-9. 2014..We herein report a case of emphysematous polycystic infection in a 61-year-old male patient who was on peritoneal dialysis for end-stage renal disease caused by adult polycystic kidney disease. ..
- BpTRUth: do automated blood pressure monitors outperform mercury?Cedric Edwards
Renal Hypertension Unit, Division of Nephrology, Department of Medicine, University of Ottawa, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada Electronic address
J Am Soc Hypertens 7:448-53. 2013..The increased detection of white coat effect appears related to systematic downward bias by BpTRU. As a result, detection of masked effect is undermined by BpTRU. ..
- Spironolactone for difficult to control hypertension in chronic kidney disease: an analysis of safety and efficacyJodi Heshka
Department of Medicine, University of Ottawa, Ottawa, Ontario
J Am Soc Hypertens 4:295-301. 2010..It is associated with a modest rise in serum potassium, which is more pronounced among those with glomerular filtration rate below 45 mL/minute...
- Review of clinical outcomes in nocturnal haemodialysis patients after renal transplantationBrendan B McCormick
Division of Nephrology, Toronto General Hospital, University of Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Nephrol Dial Transplant 19:714-9. 2004..Current studies suggest that NHD lowers blood pressure through a decrease in peripheral resistance. The graft and blood pressure outcomes of NHD patients who undergo renal transplantation are unknown...
- The implications of the ADEMEX study for the peritoneal dialysis prescription: the role of small solute clearance versus salt and water removalBrendan B McCormick
Toronto General Hospital, Ontario, Canada
Curr Opin Nephrol Hypertens 12:581-5. 2003....
- A case report of plasmapheresis and cyclophosphamide for steroid-resistant focal segmental glomerulosclerosis: recovery of renal function after five months on dialysisLily Oliveira
Department of Medicine, Ottawa Hospital, University of Ottawa, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Ther Apher Dial 11:227-31. 2007..This is the first report of late rescue from apparent ESRD due to FSGS with combined plasmapheresis and low dose oral cyclophosphamide...
- Peritoneal dialysis catheter insertion strategies and maintenance of catheter functionNasim Shahbazi
Division of Nephrology, University of Ottawa, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Semin Nephrol 31:138-51. 2011..Maintenance of catheter function is discussed with a focus on an organized and evidence-based approach to preventing and treating mechanical catheter problems...
- Extracorporeal management of valproic acid overdose: a large regional experienceSheldon M Singh
Division of Nephrology, Department of Medicine, University of Toronto, ON, Canada
J Nephrol 17:43-9. 2004..Although extra-corporeal therapy has been proposed as beneficial in managing significant exposures, evidence to support its use is limited to isolated case reports. A systematic review has not been performed...
- Improved blood pressure control with nocturnal hemodialysis: review of clinical observations and physiologic mechanismsBrendan B McCormick
Toronto General Hospital, University Health Network, 200 Elizabeth Street, 12 EN 226, Toronto, Ontario, Canada M5G 2C4
Curr Hypertens Rep 6:140-4. 2004..Recent mechanistic studies exploring the reversal of the uremic hemodynamic state with NHD are also reviewed. The implication of these hemodynamic changes for the prospective renal transplant candidate are discussed...