Brendan B McCormick
Affiliation: University of Ottawa
- Severe hypocalcemia following denosumab injection in a hemodialysis patientBrendan B McCormick
Division of Nephrology, Department of Medicine, University of Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Am J Kidney Dis 60:626-8. 2012..We advise against the use of denosumab in those treated with hemodialysis due to the risk of severe hypocalcemia and lack of evidence supporting its efficacy in treating osteoporosis in this population...
- Metabolic effects of incremental doses of intraperitoneal amino acids on automated peritoneal dialysisBrendan B McCormick
Division of Nephrology, Department of Medicine, The University of Ottawa, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Perit Dial Int 30:201-7. 2010..The use of amino acid (AA) dialysate to ameliorate protein-energy malnutrition has been limited by adverse metabolic effects...
- The effect of pentoxifylline on proteinuria in diabetic kidney disease: a meta-analysisBrendan B McCormick
Division of Nephrology, Kidney Research Center, Ottawa Health Research Institute, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Am J Kidney Dis 52:454-63. 2008..Pentoxifylline is a potential therapeutic agent for diabetic kidney disease because it has anti-inflammatory, antifibrotic, and hemorheological properties...
- Noninfectious complications of peritoneal dialysis: implications for patient and technique survivalBrendan B McCormick
Division of Nephrology, Kidney Research Center, and Department of Medicine, University of Ottawa, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
J Am Soc Nephrol 18:3023-5. 2007..This clinical commentary focuses on these noninfectious complications of PD...
- Complications and catheter survival with prolonged embedding of peritoneal dialysis cathetersPierre Antoine Brown
Department of Medicine, University of Ottawa, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Nephrol Dial Transplant 23:2299-303. 2008..We undertook this study to test the hypothesis that catheter survival on PD is a function of the time a catheter is left embedded prior to use...
- Peritoneal phosphate clearance is influenced by peritoneal dialysis modality, independent of peritoneal transport characteristicsSunil V Badve
Division of Nephrology, Department of Medicine, University of Ottawa, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Clin J Am Soc Nephrol 3:1711-7. 2008..The objective of this study was to test the hypothesis that peritoneal phosphate clearance is better with continuous ambulatory PD (CAPD) as compared with continuous cyclic PD (CCPD) after adjusting for membrane transport status...
- Review of clinical outcomes in nocturnal haemodialysis patients after renal transplantationBrendan B McCormick
Division of Nephrology, Toronto General Hospital, University of Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Nephrol Dial Transplant 19:714-9. 2004..Further prospective studies are needed to examine the underlying differences in haemodynamics and long-term graft survival between the two renal replacement modalities...
- Spironolactone for difficult to control hypertension in chronic kidney disease: an analysis of safety and efficacyJodi Heshka
Department of Medicine, University of Ottawa, Ottawa, Ontario
J Am Soc Hypertens 4:295-301. 2010..It is associated with a modest rise in serum potassium, which is more pronounced among those with glomerular filtration rate below 45 mL/minute...
- The implications of the ADEMEX study for the peritoneal dialysis prescription: the role of small solute clearance versus salt and water removalBrendan B McCormick
Toronto General Hospital, Ontario, Canada
Curr Opin Nephrol Hypertens 12:581-5. 2003..This has resulted in de-emphasis of peritoneal small molecule clearance and increased emphasis on clinical assessment of dialysis adequacy, preservation of residual renal function, and optimization of salt and water removal...
- A case report of plasmapheresis and cyclophosphamide for steroid-resistant focal segmental glomerulosclerosis: recovery of renal function after five months on dialysisLily Oliveira
Department of Medicine, Ottawa Hospital, University of Ottawa, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Ther Apher Dial 11:227-31. 2007..This is the first report of late rescue from apparent ESRD due to FSGS with combined plasmapheresis and low dose oral cyclophosphamide...
- Extracorporeal management of valproic acid overdose: a large regional experienceSheldon M Singh
Division of Nephrology, Department of Medicine, University of Toronto, ON, Canada
J Nephrol 17:43-9. 2004..Further study is needed to determine whether hemodialysis alone versus combined hemodialysis-hemoperfusion is more effective for this condition...
- Peritoneal dialysis catheter insertion strategies and maintenance of catheter functionNasim Shahbazi
Division of Nephrology, University of Ottawa, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Semin Nephrol 31:138-51. 2011..Maintenance of catheter function is discussed with a focus on an organized and evidence-based approach to preventing and treating mechanical catheter problems...
- Improved blood pressure control with nocturnal hemodialysis: review of clinical observations and physiologic mechanismsBrendan B McCormick
Toronto General Hospital, University Health Network, 200 Elizabeth Street, 12 EN 226, Toronto, Ontario, Canada M5G 2C4
Curr Hypertens Rep 6:140-4. 2004..Recent mechanistic studies exploring the reversal of the uremic hemodynamic state with NHD are also reviewed. The implication of these hemodynamic changes for the prospective renal transplant candidate are discussed...