John Robert Matyas
Affiliation: University of Calgary
- Analysis of cartilage biomarkers in the early phases of canine experimental osteoarthritisJohn R Matyas
University of Calgary, Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Arthritis Rheum 50:543-52. 2004..To study 3 body fluids for changes in the levels of 5 biomarkers of cartilage metabolism during the early phases of experimental osteoarthritis (OA)...
- The innervation of the human acetabular labrum and hip joint: an anatomic studyAbdullah Alzaharani
Orthopedic Trauma and Lower Extremity Reconstruction, 3134 Hospital Drive N, W, Calgary, Alberta T2N 5A1, Canada
BMC Musculoskelet Disord 15:41. 2014..The aim of the current study was to evaluate the innervation of the acetabular labrum in the various zones and to understand its potential role in nociception and proprioception in hips with labral pathology...
- Intra-articular anaesthesia mitigates established pain in experimental osteoarthritis: a preliminary study of gait impulse redistribution as a biomarker of analgesia pharmacodynamicsJ R Matyas
Faculty of Veterinary Medicine, University of Calgary, McCaig Institute for Bone and Joint Health, Canada
Osteoarthritis Cartilage 21:1365-73. 2013..Evaluate Impulse Ratio as a measure of weight distribution among supporting limbs throughout the early natural history of osteoarthritis and with local anaesthesia and analgesia...
- Regional quantification of cartilage type II collagen and aggrecan messenger RNA in joints with early experimental osteoarthritisJohn Robert Matyas
Department of Cell Biology and Anatomy, McCaig Centre for Joint Injury and Arthritis Research, Faculty of Medicine, University of Calgary, 3330 Hospital Drive NW, Calgary, Alberta T2N 4N1, Canada
Arthritis Rheum 46:1536-43. 2002..This study was conducted to explore the anabolic metabolism of chondrocytes early in the natural history of an experimental canine model of OA...
- Indirect injury stimulates scar formation-adaptation or pathology?Jennifer L K Matthews
The McCaig Centre for Joint Injury and Arthritis Research, Department of Cell Biology and Anatomy, University of Calgary, Faculty of Medicine, Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Connect Tissue Res 45:94-100. 2004..The medial mass may be a useful mimic or model of intraarticular adhesions, hypertrophic scars, ligament sprains, and arthrofibrosis...
- Doxycycline effects on mechanical and morphometrical properties of early- and late-stage osteoarthritic bone following anterior cruciate ligament injuryConnor K Pardy
Faculties of Kinesiology, Medicine, and Engineering, 2500 Univ Drive, NW, Calgary, Alberta, Canada T2N 1N4
J Appl Physiol 97:1254-60. 2004..Significant bone loss occurred in the deeper trabecular bone for all groups. Substantial architectural adaptation within deeper trabecular bone accompanied changes in mechanics in early and established OA...
- Unravelling the relationship between age, nociception and joint destruction in naturally occurring osteoarthritis of Dunkin Hartley guinea pigsJason J McDougall
Department of Physiology and Biophysics, University of Calgary, 3330, Hospital Drive NW, Calgary, AB, Canada
Pain 141:222-32. 2009..This study also provides the first objective evidence that there is no correlation between joint nociception and articular damage, thereby corroborating the clinical observation that pain is a poor predictor of OA severity...
- The three-dimensional architecture of the notochordal nucleus pulposus: novel observations on cell structures in the canine intervertebral discChristopher J Hunter
McCaig Centre for Joint Injury and Arthritis Research, University of Calgary, Alberta, Canada
J Anat 202:279-91. 2003..Such differences could have substantial impact upon how we think about development, degeneration and repair of the intervertebral disc...
- The functional significance of cell clusters in the notochordal nucleus pulposus: survival and signaling in the canine intervertebral discChristopher J Hunter
McCaig Centre for Joint Injury and Arthritis Research, University of Calgary, Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 29:1099-104. 2004..Cell viability was assessed in relation to cell clustering, and mechanisms of cell-cell signaling in the clusters were investigated...
- Reduced differentiation efficiency of murine embryonic stem cells in stirred suspension bioreactorsJaymi T Taiani
Department of Medical Science, Schulich School of Engineering, Schulich School of Engineering, University of Calgary, Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Stem Cells Dev 19:989-98. 2010....
- Communication between paired chondrocytes in the superficial zone of articular cartilageSimon S Chi
Department of Cell Biology and Anatomy, McCaig Center for Joint Injury and Arthritis Research, University of Calgary, Canada
J Anat 205:363-70. 2004..These results illustrate that rapid cellular communication is possible between cells in the superficial layer of adult articular cartilage, which challenges the current thinking that these chondrocytes function in isolation...
- ISSLS prize winner: Collagen fibril sliding governs cell mechanics in the anulus fibrosus: an in situ confocal microscopy study of bovine discsSabina B Bruehlmann
Department of Mechanical Engineering, University of Calgary, Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 29:2612-20. 2004..In situ investigation of collagen and cell mechanics in bovine caudal discs using novel techniques of confocal microscopy...
- Systemic bone formation with weekly PTH administration in ovariectomized ratsSebastien A Gittens
Faculty of Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Sciences, University of Alberta, Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
J Pharm Pharm Sci 7:27-37. 2004....
- Cytomorphology of notochordal and chondrocytic cells from the nucleus pulposus: a species comparisonChristopher J Hunter
McCaig Centre for Joint Injury and Arthritis Research, Canada
J Anat 205:357-62. 2004..The present study examines several different species commonly used in lumbar spine investigations to explore the variability of notochordal cells in the IVD...