Genomes and Genes
P A Marsden
Affiliation: University of Toronto
- The Fgl2/fibroleukin prothrombinase contributes to immunologically mediated thrombosis in experimental and human viral hepatitisPhilip A Marsden
CIHR Group on Cellular and Molecular Mechanisms of Organ Injury, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
J Clin Invest 112:58-66. 2003..Fibrin deposition was strongly associated with Fgl2/fibroleukin expression. Collectively, these data indicate a critical role for Fgl2/fibroleukin in the pathophysiology of experimental and human viral hepatitis...
- Low-molecular-weight S-nitrosothiols and blood vessel injuryPhilip A Marsden
Renal Division and Department of Medicine, St Michael s Hospital and University of Toronto, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
J Clin Invest 117:2377-80. 2007..These findings raise the concern that chronic NAC therapy may induce similar vascular pathology in patients...
- Germline polymorphisms in cardiovascular medicine. Is that the whole story?P A Marsden
University of Toronto, St Michael s Hospital, Toronto, Canada
Can J Cardiol 15:11B-12B. 1999..This focused discussion uses examples in hypertension and atherosclerosis to highlight these emerging concepts...
- Molecular and functional analysis of the human prothrombinase gene (HFGL2) and its role in viral hepatitisG A Levy
Multi Organ Transplant Program, Toronto General Hospital and the University of Toronto, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Am J Pathol 156:1217-25. 2000..Fibrin stained positively in these areas and was confirmed by electron microscopy. These studies define a unique prothrombinase gene (HFGL2) and implicate its importance in the pathogenesis of fulminant viral hepatitis...
- Genomic characterization, localization, and functional expression of FGL2, the human gene encoding fibroleukin: a novel human procoagulantS Yuwaraj
Multiorgan Transplant Program and Department of Medicine, Toronto General Hospital, University of Toronto, Ontario, M5G 2C4, Canada
Genomics 71:330-8. 2001..By both radiation hybrid analyses and fluorescence in situ hybridization, human FGL2 was localized to 7q11.23...
- The prothrombinase activity of FGL2 contributes to the pathogenesis of experimental arthritisM C Melnyk
Multi Organ Transplant Program, University of Toronto and Toronto General Hospital, Toronto, ON, Canada
Scand J Rheumatol 40:269-78. 2011..We hypothesized that expression of mFGL2 in inflamed synovium contributes to the fibrin deposition and subsequent inflammation in arthritis...
- CD200 is a ligand for all members of the CD200R family of immunoregulatory moleculesReginald Gorczynski
Transplant Research Division, Toronto Hospital, 200 Elizabeth Street, Toronto, Ontario M5G 2C4, Canada
J Immunol 172:7744-9. 2004..mAbs directed against the CD200 R1/R4 isoforms altered IL-2/IL-4 cytokine production and suppressed CTL responses in a fashion comparable to CD200Fc, with a significantly lesser effect seen following addition of anti-CD200 R2/R3...
- Human endothelin converting enzyme-2 (ECE2): characterization of mRNA species and chromosomal localizationM N Lorenzo
Renal Division and Department of Medicine, St Michael s Hospital and University of Toronto, Room 7358, Medical Sciences Building, 1 Kings College Circle, Toronto, ON, Canada M5S 1A8
Biochim Biophys Acta 1522:46-52. 2001....
- The fgl2 prothrombinase/fibroleukin gene is required for lipopolysaccharide-triggered abortions and for normal mouse reproductionDavid A Clark
Department of Medicine, McMaster University Medical Center, Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
Mol Hum Reprod 10:99-108. 2004..Physiological expression of fgl2 in fetal trophoblast may prevent occult loss in early pregnancy, along with other coagulation factors, but fgl2 expression is required for LPS to induce abortion pathology...
- Endothelial nitric oxide synthase: insight into cell-specific gene regulation in the vascular endotheliumJ E Fish
Department of Medical Biophysics, St Michael s Hospital and University of Toronto, Toronto, Canada
Cell Mol Life Sci 63:144-62. 2006....
- The nucleocapsid protein of murine hepatitis virus type 3 induces transcription of the novel fgl2 prothrombinase geneQ Ning
Multi Organ Transplant Program and Departments of Medicine and Pathology, Toronto Hospital, St Michael s Hospital, and the University of Toronto, Toronto, Ontario M5G 2C4, Canada
J Biol Chem 274:9930-6. 1999..These studies provide new insights into the role of the nucleocapsid gene in the pathogenesis of viral hepatitis...
- Tyrosine phosphatase MEG2 modulates murine development and platelet and lymphocyte activation through secretory vesicle functionYingchun Wang
Division of Respirology, Department of Medicine, and the McLaughlin Center for Molecular Medicine, University of Toronto and Toronto General Hospital Research Institute of the University Health Network, Toronto, Ontario M5S 1A8, Canada
J Exp Med 202:1587-97. 2005....
- Cloning and characterization of the human CD200 promoter regionZhiqi Chen
Transplant Research Division, The Toronto Hospital, Department of Surgery and Immunology, Toronto, Ont, Canada
Mol Immunol 43:579-87. 2006..Positive regulatory domains (PRDs) were identified in the core promoter using linker-scanning mutagenesis. EMSA documented clear evidence for C/EBPbeta as being important in transcriptional regulation of CD200...
- Kinetic analysis of a unique direct prothrombinase, fgl2, and identification of a serine residue critical for the prothrombinase activityCamie W Y Chan
Multi Organ Transplant Program, Toronto General Hospital and University of Toronto, 621 University Avenue 10th Floor, Room 116, Toronto, Ontario M5G 2C4, Canada
J Immunol 168:5170-7. 2002..In this work we provide direct evidence that fgl2 cleaves prothrombin to thrombin consistent with serine protease activity and requires calcium, phospholipids, and factor Va for its full activity...
- Regulation of Toll-like receptor 4 expression in the lung following hemorrhagic shock and lipopolysaccharideJie Fan
Department of Surgery, University Health Network, St Michael s Hospital and University of Toronto, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
J Immunol 168:5252-9. 2002....
- Role of a distal enhancer in the transcriptional responsiveness of the human CD200 gene to interferon-gamma and tumor necrosis factor-alphaZhiqi Chen
Transplant Research Division, The Toronto Hospital, Department of Surgery and Immunology, University of Toronto, Toronto, Canada
Mol Immunol 46:1951-63. 2009..All the above findings suggest that IFN-gamma and TNF-alpha induce CD200 expression through a 5' upstream enhancer and that NF-kappaB, STAT1 and IRF-1 play pivotal roles in this process...
- Epigenetic regulation of vascular endothelial gene expressionCharles C Matouk
Institute of Medical Sciences, St Michael s Hospital and University of Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Circ Res 102:873-87. 2008..Using endothelial nitric oxide synthase (NOS3) as an example, we examine the growing body of evidence implicating epigenetic pathways in the control of vascular endothelial gene expression in health and disease...
- Functionally important role for arginase 1 in the airway hyperresponsiveness of asthmaMichelle L North
Institutes of Medical Sciences, Dalla Lana School of Public Health, Faculty of Medicine, Ontario, Canada
Am J Physiol Lung Cell Mol Physiol 296:L911-20. 2009....
- Reassessing the risk of hemodilutional anemia: Some new pieces to an old puzzleAlbert K Y Tsui
Department of Anesthesia, Keenan Research Centre in the Li Ka Shing Knowledge Institute, St Michael s Hospital, University of Toronto, ON, Canada
Can J Anaesth 57:779-91. 2010....
- Hypoxia-inducible expression of a natural cis-antisense transcript inhibits endothelial nitric-oxide synthaseJason E Fish
Department of Medical Biophysics, St Michael s Hospital, University of Toronto, Toronto, Ontario M5S 1A8, Canada
J Biol Chem 282:15652-66. 2007....
- c-Jun N-terminal kinase-mediated stabilization of microsomal prostaglandin E2 synthase-1 mRNA regulates delayed microsomal prostaglandin E2 synthase-1 expression and prostaglandin E2 biosynthesis by cardiomyocytesNorbert Degousee
Divisions of Vascular Surgery and Cardiac Surgery, Toronto General Hospital Research Institute of the University Health Network, University of Toronto, Toronto, Ontario M5G 2C4, Canada
J Biol Chem 281:16443-52. 2006....
- Relative reduction of endothelial nitric-oxide synthase expression and transcription in atherosclerosis-prone regions of the mouse aorta and in an in vitro model of disturbed flowDoyon Won
Department of Laboratory Medicine and Pathobiology, University of Toronto, Toronto, ON, Canada
Am J Pathol 171:1691-704. 2007....
- Glutathione depletion inhibits lipopolysaccharide-induced intercellular adhesion molecule 1 synthesisKatalin Szaszi
Department of Surgery, University Health Network and University of Toronto, 200 Elizabeth Street, Toronto, Ontario, Canada M5G 2C4
Free Radic Biol Med 38:1333-43. 2005..These studies illustrate that thiol depletion may represent a potential therapy for inflammation, exerting its effects via a distinct mechanism on cell signaling pathways...
- Hypoxia induces a functionally significant and translationally efficient neuronal NO synthase mRNA variantMichael E Ward
Division of Respirology, University of Toronto, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
J Clin Invest 115:3128-39. 2005..These results reveal a novel human nNOS promoter that confers the ability to rapidly upregulate nNOS expression in response to hypoxia with a functionally significant effect on vascular smooth muscle contraction...
- Abnormalities in villin gene expression and canalicular microvillus structure in progressive cholestatic liver disease of childhoodM James Phillips
Department of Multi organ Transplantation Research, Toronto General Hospital, University Health Network, ON, Toronto, Canada
Lancet 362:1112-9. 2003..We aimed to investigate the role of canalicular cytoskeletal proteins in three genetically unrelated children with a biliary atresia-like clinical disorder, each of whom developed liver failure requiring liver transplantation...
- Extensive variation in the 5'-UTR of Dicer mRNAs influences translational efficiencySundeep Singh
Department of Laboratory Medicine and Pathobiology, University of Toronto, Toronto, Ont, Canada
Biochem Biophys Res Commun 335:643-50. 2005..The Dicer mRNA 5'-UTR variants had profound effects on translational efficiency both in vitro and in transiently transfected cells. A number of major Dicer RNA species are inefficient substrates for the translational machinery...
- The expression of endothelial nitric-oxide synthase is controlled by a cell-specific histone codeJason E Fish
Department of Medical Biophysics, St Michael s Hospital and University of Toronto, Toronto, Ontario M5S 1A8, Canada
J Biol Chem 280:24824-38. 2005..Taken together, these findings provide strong evidence that the endothelial cell-specific expression of eNOS is controlled by cell-specific histone modifications...
- Endothelial nitric oxide synthase: a new paradigm for gene regulation in the injured blood vesselSharon C Tai
Renal Division and Department of Medicine, St Michael s Hospital and University of Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol 24:405-12. 2004..In models of inflammation, proliferation/injury, oxidized low-density lipoprotein treatment, and hypoxia, eNOS mRNA destabilization plays a significant role in the rapid downregulation of eNOS mRNA levels...
- Perturbations in paracrine control of the circulation: role of the endothelial-derived vasomediators, endothelin-1 and nitric oxideImtiaz A Mawji
Renal Division and Department of Medicine, St Michael s Hospital and University of Toronto, Toronto, ON, Canada
Microsc Res Tech 60:46-58. 2003..Elucidating the mechanisms influencing ET-1 and eNOS mRNA is providing novel insight into endothelial gene regulation and providing opportunities for future therapeutic strategies...
- What lessons can we learn from NOS knockout mice in acute pulmonary disease?Jeremy A Scott
Crit Care Med 30:2143-5. 2002
- Cigarette smoking--association with hepatic artery thrombosisGary A Levy
Liver Transpl 8:588-90. 2002
- Nitric oxide-eluting polyurethanes--vascular grafts of the future?Subodh Verma
Division of Cardiac Surgery, St Michael s Hospital and the University of Toronto, Toronto
N Engl J Med 353:730-1. 2005
- Gene transcription of fgl2 in endothelial cells is controlled by Ets-1 and Oct-1 and requires the presence of both Sp1 and Sp3Mingfeng Liu
Multi Organ Transplant Program, Toronto General Hospital and the University of Toronto, Canada
Eur J Biochem 270:2274-86. 2003....