Affiliation: University of Calgary
- Helping students learn to think like experts when solving clinical problemsH Mandin
Department of Medicine, University of Calgary Faculty of Medicine, Alberta, Canada
Acad Med 72:173-9. 1997..The "hypothetico-deductive" strategy traditionally used in PBL should be replaced by scheme-driven search strategies so that students develop a more organized and logical approach to problem solving...
- Conceptual guidelines for developing and maintaining curriculum and examination objectives: the experience of the Medical Council of CanadaH Mandin
Department of Medicine, University of Calgary Faculty of Medicine, Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Acad Med 75:1031-7. 2000..The authors conclude with a consideration of the need and feasibility of defining the scientific underpinnings of competency-based learning objectives...
- Development and evaluation of a Research Project Program for medical students at the University of Calgary Faculty of MedicineF G Smith
Department of Physiology and Biophysics, University of Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Acad Med 76:189-94. 2001..The RPP has evolved in the ten years since its implementation, but the authors believe the program continues to foster independent learning and analytic and problem-solving skills...
- The influence of objectives, learning experiences and examination blueprint on medical students' examination preparationK McLaughlin
Division of Nephrology, Foothills Hospital 1403 29th St NW, T2N 2T9 Calgary, Alberta, Canada
BMC Med Educ 5:39. 2005..This study aims to firstly describe how students utilized components of intended and informal curricula to guide examination preparation, and secondly to study the relationship between examination preparation and performance...
- A schematic approach to diagnosing and resolving lecturalgiaK McLaughlin
University of Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Med Educ 35:1135-42. 2001..Thus far this approach has not been used to tackle teaching or learning problems...
- Diagnostic reasoning strategies and diagnostic successS Coderre
Department of Medicine, Faculty of Medicine, University of Calgary, Foothills Hospital, 1403 29th Street NW, Calgary, Alberta T2N 2T9, Canada
Med Educ 37:695-703. 2003..The central purpose of this study was to determine the relationship between problem-solving strategies and the likelihood of diagnostic success...