Genomes and Genes
Affiliation: University of Montreal
- Apple peel polyphenols and their beneficial actions on oxidative stress and inflammationMarie Claude Denis
Research Centre, Sainte Justine Hospital, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
PLoS ONE 8:e53725. 2013..Since gastrointestinal mucosa is constantly exposed to reactive oxygen species from various sources, the presence of antioxidants may contribute to the body's natural defenses against inflammatory diseases...
- Iron-ascorbate-mediated lipid peroxidation causes epigenetic changes in the antioxidant defense in intestinal epithelial cells: impact on inflammationSabrina Yara
Department of Nutrition, Research Centre, CHU Sainte Justine, Universite de Montreal, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
PLoS ONE 8:e63456. 2013....
- Modulatory role of PYY in transport and metabolism of cholesterol in intestinal epithelial cellsEmilie Grenier
Research Centre, Centre Hospitalier Universitaire CHU Ste Justine, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
PLoS ONE 7:e40992. 2012....
- CFTR depletion results in changes in fatty acid composition and promotes lipogenesis in intestinal Caco 2/15 cellsGenevieve Mailhot
Research Centre, CHU Sainte Justine, Universite de Montreal, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
PLoS ONE 5:e10446. 2010..The mechanism(s) underlying these abnormalities remained, however, poorly understood despite the potentially CFTR contributing role...
- Oxidative stress and mitochondrial functions in the intestinal Caco-2/15 cell lineRame Taha
Department of Nutrition, Research Center, CHU Sainte Justine, Universite de Montreal, Montreal, Canada
PLoS ONE 5:e11817. 2010..Key among these is the simultaneous consumption of iron salts and ascorbic acid, which can cause oxidative damage to biomolecules...
- Sar1b transgenic male mice are more susceptible to high-fat diet-induced obesity, insulin insensitivity and intestinal chylomicron overproductionEmile Levy
Research Center, Sainte Justine UHC, Montreal, Quebec, Canada, H3T 1C5 Department of Nutrition, Universite de Montreal, Montreal, Quebec, Canada, H3T 1J4 Canadian Institutes for Health Research Team on the Digestive Epithelium, Department of Anatomy and Cellular Biology, Faculty of Medicine and Health Sciences, Universite de Sherbrooke, Sherbrooke, Quebec, Canada, J1H 5N4 Electronic address
J Nutr Biochem 25:540-8. 2014..These results suggest that Sar1b(+/+) under HFD can elicit cardiometabolic traits as revealed by incremental weight gain, fat deposition, dyslipidemia, hepatic steatosis, insulin insensitivity and intestinal fat absorption. ..
- PCSK9 plays a significant role in cholesterol homeostasis and lipid transport in intestinal epithelial cellsEmile Levy
Research Centre, CHU Ste Justine, Universite de Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Atherosclerosis 227:297-306. 2013..Although PCSK9 is abundantly expressed in the intestine, limited data are available on its functions. The present study aims at determining whether PCSK9 plays important roles in cholesterol homeostasis and lipid transport in the gut...
- Antioxidative properties of paraoxonase 2 in intestinal epithelial cellsLouis Philippe Precourt
Department of Nutrition, Research Centre, CHU Sainte Justine, Universite de Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Am J Physiol Gastrointest Liver Physiol 303:G623-34. 2012..These results suggest that PON2 is involved in the antioxidative and anti-inflammatory response in intestinal epithelial cells...
- Regulation of leptin receptor expression in human polarized Caco-2/15 cellsPhilippe G Cammisotto
Research Centre, CHU Ste Justine, Montreal Quebec, Canada, H3T 1C5
Endocr Metab Immune Disord Drug Targets 12:57-70. 2012..Since their role is fundamental for the proper control of nutrient absorption, mucus secretion and mucosa renewal, the regulation of LEPR expression is for the first time investigated as a function of various potential effectors...
- Guidelines for the diagnosis and management of chylomicron retention disease based on a review of the literature and the experience of two centersNoel Peretti
Department of Nutrition, CHU Sainte Justine Research Center, Universite de Montreal, 3175, Ste Catherine Road, Montreal, Quebec, H3T 1C5, Canada
Orphanet J Rare Dis 5:24. 2010..The clinical guidelines proposed will helpfully lead to an earlier diagnosis and the prevention of complications...
- [Teasing out the various factors associated with the digestive and absorptive phases of intestinal transport]Emile Levy
Centre de Recherche, CHU Sainte Justine, 3175, Chemin de la Cote Sainte Catherine, Montreal, Quebec, H3T 1C5 Canada
Med Sci (Paris) 23:1014-9. 2007....
- [Brief history of the Ste-Justine Hospital Research Centre]Emile Levy
Centre de Recherche, CHU Sainte Justine 3175, Cote Sainte Catherine, Montreal Quebec H3T 1C5, Canada
Med Sci (Paris) 23:901-3. 2007
- Expression of Sar1b enhances chylomicron assembly and key components of the coat protein complex II system driving vesicle buddingEmile Levy
Research Centre, Mother and Child University Hospital Center, Sainte Justine, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol 31:2692-9. 2011..Recently, mutations in SARA2 have been associated with lipid absorption disorders. However, functional studies on Sar1b-mediated lipid synthesis pathways and lipoprotein packaging have not been performed...
- Abnormal hepatobiliary and circulating lipid metabolism in the Long-Evans Cinnamon rat model of Wilson's diseaseEmile Levy
Department of Nutrition, CHU Sainte Justine, Universite de Montreal, 3175 Cote Sainte Catherine, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Life Sci 80:1472-83. 2007..Our data emphasize the crucial role of copper balance in hepatic sterol homeostasis and lipoprotein metabolism in LEC rats. Additional studies are needed to delineate the mechanisms of these disorders...
- Overproduction of intestinal lipoprotein containing apolipoprotein B-48 in Psammomys obesus: impact of dietary n-3 fatty acidsE Levy
Department of Nutrition, Research Centre, Sainte Justine Hospital and University of Montreal, 3175 Cote Ste Catherine Road, Montreal, Quebec, H3T 1C5, Canada
Diabetologia 49:1937-45. 2006..We therefore tested the hypothesis that n-3 fatty acids improve the various events governing intra-enterocyte lipid transport in Psammomys obesus gerbils, a model of nutritionally induced metabolic syndrome...
- Intestinal cholesterol transport proteins: an update and beyondEmile Levy
Research Centre, CHU Sainte Justine, Quebec, Canada
Curr Opin Lipidol 18:310-8. 2007..This review focuses on recent progress related to various brush-border proteins that are potentially involved in alimentary cholesterol transport...
- Intestinal and hepatic cholesterol carriers in diabetic Psammomys obesusEmile Levy
Gastroenterology, Hepatology, and Nutrition Unit, Research Centre, Sainte Justine Hospital, 3175 Sainte Catherine Road, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Endocrinology 151:958-70. 2010..Our findings show that the development in P. obesus with T2D modifies the whole intraenterocyte and hepatocyte machinery responsible for CHOL homeostasis...
- [The metabolic syndrome: can nutrition influence rebellious organs?]Emile Levy
Centre de Recherche, CHU Ste Justine, 3175, Chemin de la Cote Ste Catherine, Montreal, Quebec, Canada, H3T 1C5
Bull Acad Natl Med 193:1271-8; discussion 1278-9. 2009....
- Localization, function and regulation of the two intestinal fatty acid-binding protein typesEmile Levy
Department of Nutrition, CHU Sainte Justine, University of Montreal, 3175 Cote Ste Catherine Road, Montreal, QC, H3T 1C5, Canada
Histochem Cell Biol 132:351-67. 2009..Overall, our findings indicate that the two FABPs display differences in localization, regulation and developmental pattern...
- Biological role, protein expression, subcellular localization, and oxidative stress response of paraoxonase 2 in the intestine of humans and ratsEmile Levy
Department of Nutrition, Universite de Montreal, Research Centre, CHU Sainte Justine, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Am J Physiol Gastrointest Liver Physiol 293:G1252-61. 2007..Furthermore, our observations suggest PON2 protective effects against prooxidant stimuli in the small intestine...
- Effect of retinoic acid on cell proliferation and differentiation as well as on lipid synthesis, lipoprotein secretion, and apolipoprotein biogenesisEmilie Grenier
Department of Nutrition, Universite de Montreal, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Am J Physiol Gastrointest Liver Physiol 293:G1178-89. 2007..Taken together, these data highlight RA-induced cell differentiation via specific signaling without a significant impact on apo A-I synthesis...
- The polymorphism at codon 54 of the FABP2 gene increases fat absorption in human intestinal explantsE Levy
Department of Nutrition, Universite de Montreal, Quebec H3T 1C5, Canada
J Biol Chem 276:39679-84. 2001....
- Caco-2 cells and human fetal colon: a comparative analysis of their lipid transportE Levy
Centre de Recherche, Hopital Sainte Justine, Universite de Montreal, Montreal, Quebec H3T 1C5, Canada
Biochim Biophys Acta 1439:353-62. 1999..This may be due to various factors, including the origin of Caco-2 cell line, i.e., colon carcinoma...
- Circulating lipoproteins and hepatic sterol metabolism in Psammomys obesus prone to obesity, hyperglycemia and hyperinsulinemiaM Zoltowska
Centre de Recherche, , , , Montreal, Quebec, Canada, H3T IC5
Atherosclerosis 157:85-96. 2001..obesus. Finally, current research shows that more marked plasma and hepatic lipid perturbations occur in insulin resistance than in diabetes, which may culminate in the development of atherosclerosis...
- Immunolocalization, ontogeny, and regulation of microsomal triglyceride transfer protein in human fetal intestineE Levy
Department of Nutrition, Universite de Montreal, H3C 3J7, Quebec, Canada H3T 1C5
Am J Physiol Gastrointest Liver Physiol 280:G563-71. 2001..These findings provide the first evidence that human fetal gut is able to express MTP and emphasize the distinct regional distribution, regulation by oleic acid, and ontogeny of MTP...
- Modulation of intestinal cholesterol absorption by high glucose levels: impact on cholesterol transporters, regulatory enzymes, and transcription factorsZ Ravid
Research Centre, CHU Sainte Justine, 3175 Cote Ste Catherine, Montreal, Quebec, Canada H3T 1C5
Am J Physiol Gastrointest Liver Physiol 295:G873-85. 2008....
- Susceptibility loci reported in genome-wide association studies are associated with Crohn's disease in Canadian childrenD K Amre
Department of Pediatrics, University of Montreal, QC, Canada
Aliment Pharmacol Ther 31:1186-91. 2010..Recent genome-wide association studies based on adult and paediatric populations have implicated >30 genes/loci as susceptibility loci for Crohn's disease (CD)...
- Both insulin resistance and diabetes in Psammomys obesus upregulate the hepatic machinery involved in intracellular VLDL assemblyM Zoltowska
Centre de Recherche, Hopital Sainte Justine, Department of Nutrition, Universite de Montreal, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol 24:118-23. 2004..In the current study, we examined the mechanisms that regulate hepatic apolipoprotein B (apoB)-containing lipoprotein secretion in Psammomys obesus, a good animal model for the investigation of insulin resistance and diabetes...
- Analysis of the effects of iron and vitamin C co-supplementation on oxidative damage, antioxidant response and inflammation in THP-1 macrophagesV Marcil
Research Centre, CHU Sainte Justine, Universite de Montreal, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Clin Biochem 44:873-83. 2011..The aims of the study were to test the susceptibility of THP-1 macrophages to develop oxidative stress and to deploy antioxidant defense mechanisms that insure the balance between the pro- and antioxidant molecules...
- Altered lipid profile, lipoprotein composition, and oxidant and antioxidant status in pediatric Crohn diseaseE Levy
Gastroenterology Nutrition Unit, Centre de Recherche, Hopital Sainte Justine, Departments of Pediatrics and Nutrition, Universite de Montreal, Canada
Am J Clin Nutr 71:807-15. 2000..Growing evidence supports a role for peroxidation in the pathogenesis of Crohn disease (CD). The activation of inflammatory cells, the release of their mediators, and the excessive production of free radicals may affect circulating lipids...
- Combined (n-3 and n-6) essential fatty deficiency is a potent modulator of plasma lipids, lipoprotein composition, and lipolytic enzymesE Levy
Centre de Recherche Pediatrique, Hopital Ste Justine, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
J Lipid Res 31:2009-17. 1990..001) of hepatic lipase (325.8 +/- 16.0 vs 130.8 +/- 9.5 nmol FFA/mg protein per h) was found in liver acetone powder extracts.(ABSTRACT TRUNCATED AT 250 WORDS)..
- Modulation of intestinal and liver fatty acid-binding proteins in Caco-2 cells by lipids, hormones and cytokinesN Dube
Centre de Recherche, Hôpital Sainte Justine and Department of Nutrition, Universite de Montreal, Montreal, Quebec, Canada H3T 1C5
J Cell Biochem 81:613-20. 2001..In conclusion, our data demonstrate that I-FABP expression is limited to fully differentiated Caco-2 cells and can be more easily regulated than L-FABP by lipids, hormones, and cytokines...
- Insulin resistance syndrome in a representative sample of children and adolescents from Quebec, CanadaM Lambert
Department of Pediatrics, Ste Justine Hospital and University of Montreal, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Int J Obes Relat Metab Disord 28:833-41. 2004..To identify the underlying components of IRS. To examine the relationship between adiposity and fasting plasma levels of free fatty acids (FFA)...
- Effect of human recombinant leptin on lipid handling by fully differentiated Caco-2 cellsS Stan
Centre de Recherche, , , Montreal, Quebec, Canada HST 1C5
FEBS Lett 508:80-4. 2001..It also enhanced that of ApoA-I, ApoA-IV and ApoE. Our results support the hypothesis that leptin can affect energy balance at the gut level by reducing lipid release into the circulation...
- Asymmetrical regulation of scavenger receptor class B type I by apical and basolateral stimuli using Caco-2 cellsN Peretti
Centre de Recherche, CHU Sainte Justine, Universite de Montreal, Montreal Quebec, Canada, H3T 1C5
J Cell Biochem 100:421-33. 2007....
- Association between genetic variants in the HNF4A gene and childhood-onset Crohn's diseaseV Marcil
Departments of Medicine and Pediatrics, Research Institute, McGill University, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Genes Immun 13:556-65. 2012..This is the first report showing that the HNF4A locus may be a common genetic determinant of childhood-onset CD. These findings highlight the importance of the intestinal epithelium and oxidative protection in the pathogenesis of CD...
- Iron-ascorbic acid-induced oxidant stress and its quenching by paraoxonase 1 in HDL and the liver: comparison between humans and ratsK Trudel
Department of Nutrition, Universite de Montreal, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
J Cell Biochem 96:404-11. 2005..This was tested by the iron-ascorbate oxygen-radical generating system. It is also proposed that the increased PON1 level may have a function related to the well-known atherosclerosis resistance of rats...
- Modulation of placental protein expression of OLR1: implication in pregnancy-related disorders or pathologiesM Ethier-Chiasson
Laboratoire de Physiologie Materno Foetale, Departement des Sciences Biologiques, Universite du Quebec a Montreal, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Reproduction 136:491-502. 2008..In conclusion, placental OLR1 protein expression is associated with maternal lipid profile, pre-pregnancy BMI, and pathology of GDM...
- Dichotomy between postprandial glucose and lipid profiles in adults with cystic fibrosis: a pilot studyI Hammana
Diabetes and Metabolic Diseases Research Group, Research Centre hospitalier de l Université de Montréal CHUM Hôtel Dieu, QC, Canada
J Cyst Fibros 8:128-34. 2009..We examined postprandial glucose and lipid profiles during an oral glucose tolerance test (OGTT) and following a standardized high-fat test meal (TM)...
- Hyperlipidemic profiles during remission in childhood idiopathic nephrotic syndromeA Merouani
Division of Nephrology, St Justine Hospital, University of Montreal, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Clin Biochem 36:571-4. 2003..We conclude that close monitoring of lipid levels during the remission of the NS especially in those with frequent relapses, is necessary to select the high-risk patients...
- Effects of exercise training on hepatic microsomal triglyceride transfer protein content in ratsN A Chapados
Department of Kinesiology, University of Montreal, Montreal, Canada
Horm Metab Res 41:287-93. 2009..It is concluded that in addition to a reduction in liver TG content, exercise training reduces VLDL synthesis and/or secretion in HF fed rats probably via MTP regulation...
- The Delta>15 Kb deletion French Canadian founder mutation in familial hypercholesterolemia: rapid polymerase chain reaction-based diagnostic assay and prevalence in QuebecL R Simard
Centre de Recherche, Hôpital Sainte Justine and Université de Montréal, McGill University, 3175 Cote Sainte Catherine, Montreal, Quebec, Canada H3T 1C5
Clin Genet 65:202-8. 2004..11% (95% confidence interval, 0.03-0.38)...
- Familial lipoprotein lipase deficiency in infancy: clinical, biochemical, and molecular studyJ C Feoli-Fonseca
Department of Pediatrics, St Justine Hospital, University of Montreal, Quebec, Canada
J Pediatr 133:417-23. 1998..To describe the characteristics of lipoprotein lipase (LPL)-deficient patients seen in infancy and to evaluate the safety and efficacy of severe fat restriction...
- Absence of intestinal synthesis of apolipoprotein B-48 in two cases of abetalipoproteinemiaE Levy
Department of Pediatrics, Hopital Ste Justine, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Gastroenterology 93:1119-26. 1987..These data confirm the hypothesis that in certain cases of abetalipoproteinemia the intestinal defect results from the lack of synthesis of apo B-48...
- Interleukin 10 (IL-10) gene variants and susceptibility for paediatric onset Crohn's diseaseD K Amre
Department of Pediatrics, University of Montreal, Montreal, QC, Canada
Aliment Pharmacol Ther 29:1025-31. 2009..Moreover, a UC-associated single nucleotide polymorphism (SNP) rs3024405 was also significantly associated with adult Crohn's disease (CD)...
- Vascular responses to alpha-adrenergic stimulation and depolarization are enhanced in insulin-resistant and diabetic Psammomys obesusM Zoltowska
Research Centre, Hopital Sainte Justine, Department of Biochemistry, University of Montreal, Montreal, QC H3T 1C5, Canada
Can J Physiol Pharmacol 81:704-10. 2003..Overall, our data indicate that vascular contractile responsiveness is enhanced early in the development of insulin resistance and diabetes in the female P. obesus...
- The antioxidant BHT normalizes some oxidative effects of iron + ascorbate on lipid metabolism in Caco-2 cellsFrederic Courtois
Department of Nutrition, University of Montreal and Centre de Recherche, Hopital Sainte Justine, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
J Nutr 132:1289-92. 2002..Thus, our current data imply that iron + ascorbate-catalyzed lipid peroxidation is partially responsible for the disturbances observed in intestinal lipid transport...
- Modulation of lipid synthesis, apolipoprotein biogenesis, and lipoprotein assembly by butyrateValérie Marcil
Department of Nutrition, Centre de Recherche, Hopital Sainte Justine, Universite de Montreal, Quebec, Canada H3T 1C5
Am J Physiol Gastrointest Liver Physiol 283:G340-6. 2002..05) and A-I (32%; P < 0.01). Collectively, our data indicate that butyrate may influence lipid metabolism in Caco-2 cells, thus suggesting a potential regulation of intestinal fat absorption and circulating lipoprotein concentrations...
- Oxidative tyrosylation of high density lipoproteins impairs cholesterol efflux from mouse J774 macrophages: role of scavenger receptors, classes A and BIsabelle Suc
Centre de Recherche, Hopital Sainte Justine, Department of Nutrition, Universite de Montreal, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
J Cell Sci 116:89-99. 2003..Furthermore, the impaired capacity of HDL(T) in promoting cholesterol efflux from J774-AI was accompanied by diminished nCEH and enhanced recognition by SR-AI/II, which appears to involve the transport of cholesterol into cells...
- Subcellular proteomics of cell differentiation: quantitative analysis of the plasma membrane proteome of Caco-2 cellsAlexey V Pshezhetsky
Sainte Justine Hospital Research Center, University of Montreal, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Proteomics 7:2201-15. 2007..Both groups contained many novel proteins with yet to be identified functions, which could provide potential new markers of the intestinal cells or of colorectal cancer...
- Nutritional modulation of gut inflammationErnest G Seidman
Division of Gastroenterology, Hepatology and Nutrition, Research Centre, Sainte Justine Hospital, and Departments of Paediatrics and Nutrition, Faculty of Medicine, University of Montreal, Que, Canada
Nestle Nutr Workshop Ser Clin Perform Programme 7:41-61; discussion 61-5. 2002
- Membrane peroxidation by lipopolysaccharide and iron-ascorbate adversely affects Caco-2 cell function: beneficial role of butyric acidFrederic Courtois
Division of Gastroenterology, Hepatology, and Nutrition, Centre de Recherche, Sainte Justine Hospital and the Department of Nutrition, Universite de Montreal, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Am J Clin Nutr 77:744-50. 2003..Membrane lipid peroxidation may play a role in immune-mediated bowel diseases...
- Identification of microsomal triglyceride transfer protein in intestinal brush-border membraneIsabelle Slight
Department of Nutrition, Universite de Montreal, Montreal, Quebec, Canada H3T 1C5
Exp Cell Res 300:11-22. 2004..In conclusion, the present studies suggest that MTP is present in the brush-border membrane of the enterocyte. Understanding the possible physiological role of MTP in this location may reveal additional functions...
- Ontogeny, immunolocalisation, distribution and function of SR-BI in the human intestineEmile Levy
Department of Nutrition, Hôpital Sainte Justine and University of Montreal, Montreal QC H3T 1C5, Canada
J Cell Sci 117:327-37. 2004..These observations suggest that the human intestine possesses a developmental and regional SR-BI pattern of distribution, and extends our knowledge in SR-BI-mediated cholesterol transport...
- Cellular aspects of intestinal lipoprotein assembly in Psammomys obesus: a model of insulin resistance and type 2 diabetesMonika Zoltowska
Department of Nutrition, Centre de Recherche, Hopital Sainte Justine, and Université de Montréal, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Diabetes 52:2539-45. 2003....
- [Digestive and absorptive processes of lipids]Valérie Marcil
Centre de Recherche Hôpital Sainte Justine, Departement de Nutrition, Universite de Montreal, Canada
Gastroenterol Clin Biol 28:1257-66. 2004
- Reduced bile flow associated with parenteral nutrition is independent of oxidant load and parenteral multivitaminsJean Claude Lavoie
Department of Pediatrics, Hopital Sainte Justine, University of Montreal, Montreal, QC, Canada
J Pediatr Gastroenterol Nutr 41:108-14. 2005..The aim of this study was to investigate the roles of multivitamin preparations and peroxides on bile flow in newborn guinea pigs receiving parenteral nutrition...
- Intestinal-fatty acid binding protein and lipid transport in human intestinal epithelial cellsAlain Montoudis
Department of Nutrition, Université de Montréal and Research Center, CHU Sainte Justine, 3175 Cote Ste Catherine, Montreal, Que, Canada H3T 1C5
Biochem Biophys Res Commun 339:248-54. 2006..Our observations establish that I-FABP overexpression in normal HIEC-6 is not related to cell proliferation, lipid esterification, apo synthesis, and lipoprotein assembly, and, therefore, exclude its role in intestinal fat transport...
- Inflammatory reaction without endogenous antioxidant response in Caco-2 cells exposed to iron/ascorbate-mediated lipid peroxidationSandra Bernotti
Centre de Recherche, Hopital Sainte Justine, 3175 Cote Ste Catherine, Montreal, QC, Canada, H3T 1C5
Am J Physiol Gastrointest Liver Physiol 285:G898-906. 2003..These results support the importance of oxidant/antioxidant balance in the epithelial cell inflammatory response...
- Gene expression profiles of normal proliferating and differentiating human intestinal epithelial cells: a comparison with the Caco-2 cell modelEric Tremblay
CIHR Group on Functional Development and Physiopathology of the Digestive Tract, Sherbrooke, Quebec, Canada
J Cell Biochem 99:1175-86. 2006....
- Localization and role of NPC1L1 in cholesterol absorption in human intestineAlain Theophile Sane
Department of Nutrition, CHU Sainte Justine, University of Montreal, Montreal, Quebec H3T 1C5, Canada
J Lipid Res 47:2112-20. 2006..Together, our data suggest that NPC1L1 contributes to intestinal cholesterol homeostasis and possibly cooperates with SR-BI to mediate cholesterol absorption in humans...
- Short-chain fatty acids: ready for prime time?Claude C Roy
Ste Justine Hospital, 3175 Ste Catherine Road, Montreal, Quebec H3T 1C5, Canada
Nutr Clin Pract 21:351-66. 2006..The future lies with the design of studies to further explore basic mechanisms, and gene expression in particular, but emphasis should be placed on human intervention trials...
- New lipids in enteral feedingClaude C Roy
Departments of Pediatrics and Nutrition, University of Montreal, Hospital Sainte Justine, 3175 Ste Catherine Road, Montreal, Quebec, Canada H3T 1C5
Curr Opin Clin Nutr Metab Care 7:117-22. 2004..Lipid sources for enteral nutrition continue to be an exciting area of investigation. It is timely to review recent developments which have largely contributed to thrust enteral feeding into a new era...
- Apo A-IV: an update on regulation and physiologic functionsSimona Stan
Research Center, Hopital Sainte Justine, Universite de Montreal, Montreal, Quebec, Canada H3T 1C5
Biochim Biophys Acta 1631:177-87. 2003..The understanding of the involved mechanisms that underline apo A-IV regulation may in the long run allow us to switch on its gene, which may confer multiple beneficial effects, including the protection from atherosclerosis...
- Oxidative stress influences cholesterol efflux in THP-1 macrophages: role of ATP-binding cassette A1 and nuclear factorsValérie Marcil
Centre de Recherche, CHU Sainte Justine, Universite de Montreal, 3175, Cote Ste Catherine, Montreal Quebec, Canada H3T 1C5
Cardiovasc Res 72:473-82. 2006..Our aim was to characterize the effects of oxidative stress on key receptors of macrophage cholesterol homeostasis, on the nuclear transcription factors PPAR and LXR regulating their expression, and on macrophage cholesterol handling...
- Localization of microsomal triglyceride transfer protein in the Golgi: possible role in the assembly of chylomicronsEmile Levy
Department of Nutrition, Hôpital Sainte Justine and University of Montreal, Montreal, Quebec H3T 1C5, Canada
J Biol Chem 277:16470-7. 2002..The occurrence of membrane-associated apoB in the Golgi, coupled with its interaction with active MTP, suggests an important role for the Golgi in the biogenesis of apoB-containing lipoproteins...
- Prevalence of cardiometabolic risk factors by weight status in a population-based sample of Quebec children and adolescentsMarie Lambert
Department of Pediatrics, Universite de Montreal, CHU Sainte Justine, Montreal, Canada
Can J Cardiol 24:575-83. 2008..There are few data on the prevalence of cardiometabolic risk factors in population-based samples of overweight and obese youth...
- Estrogen-related receptor alpha (ERRalpha) is a transcriptional regulator of apolipoprotein A-IV and controls lipid handling in the intestineJulie C Carrier
Molecular Oncology Group, McGill University Health Center, Montreal, Quebec H3A 1A1, Canada
J Biol Chem 279:52052-8. 2004..Our results demonstrate that apoA-IV is a direct ERRalpha target gene and suggest a function for ERRalpha in intestinal fat transport, a crucial step in energy balance...
- Hormone-sensitive lipase-independent adipocyte lipolysis during beta-adrenergic stimulation, fasting, and dietary fat loadingMelanie Fortier
Division of Medical Genetics, Research Centre, Hopital Ste Justine, Montreal, Quebec H3T 1C5, Canada
Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab 287:E282-8. 2004..However, HSL-independent lipolysis can markedly increase during fasting, both in isolated adipocytes and in intact mice, and can mediate a normal flux of fatty acids during fasting...
- Impact of in vivo glycation of LDL on platelet aggregation and monocyte chemotaxis in diabetic psammomys obesusMonika Zoltowska
Centre de Recherche Hôpital Sainte Justine, Département de Nutritionet, Universite de Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Lipids 39:81-5. 2004..obesus animals. This study also illustrates the relevance of studying atherosclerosis in the P. obesus animal model, as it shows an increased tendency to develop diet-induced diabetes, which is associated with cardiovascular disorders...
- Genetic diversity patterns in the SR-BI/II locus can be explained by a recent selective sweepMireille Le Jossec
Centre de Recherche, Hopital Sainte Justine, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Mol Biol Evol 21:760-9. 2004..The relevance of such partitioning of SR-BI/II diversity remains to be investigated in genetic epidemiological studies which can be guided by the present findings...
- Combined effects of EFA deficiency and tumor necrosis factor-alpha on circulating lipoproteins in ratsEmile Levy
Department of Nutrition, Centre de Recherche, Hopital Ste Justine, Universite de Montreal, Montreal, Quebec, Canada, H3T 1C5
Lipids 38:595-602. 2003..These data also suggest that the host's nutritional status is a determining factor for the modulating effect of TNF-alpha on lipid metabolism...
- Butyrate impairs lipid transport by inhibiting microsomal triglyceride transfer protein in Caco-2 cellsValérie Marcil
Department of Nutrition, Centre de Recherche, Hopital Sainte Justine, Universite de Montreal, Montreal, QC, Canada, H3T 1C5
J Nutr 133:2180-3. 2003..02) and triglyceride-rich lipoprotein output (P < 0.03). Our results support the hypothesis that SCFA can influence lipoprotein concentrations by limiting lipid release from the small intestine into the circulation...
- Mutations in a Sar1 GTPase of COPII vesicles are associated with lipid absorption disordersBethan Jones
Genomic and Molecular Medicine Group, MRC Clinical Sciences Centre, Imperial College, London, England, UK
Nat Genet 34:29-31. 2003..Our data suggest that chylomicrons, which vastly exceed the size of typical COPII vesicles, are selectively recruited by the COPII machinery for transport through the secretory pathways of the cell...
- Dyslipidemia in pediatric nephrotic syndrome: causes revisitedEdgard E Delvin
Department of Clinical Biochemistry, Ste Justine Hospital, University of Montreal, Montreal, Canada
Clin Biochem 36:95-101. 2003
- Intestinal fatty acid binding protein and microsomal triglyceride transfer protein polymorphisms in French-Canadian youthSimona Stan
Departments of Nutrition, Hopital Sainte Justine, Universite de Montreal, Quebec, Canada
J Lipid Res 46:320-7. 2005..Our study suggests that the effects of FABP2 allelic variations on lipid traits are context dependent, indicating that this variant may play an important role in cardiovascular pathogenesis in the presence of IRS or hypertriglyceridemia...
- Abnormal intracellular lipid processing contributes to fat malabsorption in cystic fibrosis patientsNoel Peretti
Departments of Nutrition, CHU Ste Justine, Universite de Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Am J Physiol Gastrointest Liver Physiol 290:G609-15. 2006..Together, these results suggest that CF malabsorption may also be caused by defects in mucosal mechanisms leading to abnormal lipoprotein delivery into the blood circulation...
- Intestinal fatty acid binding protein regulates mitochondrion beta-oxidation and cholesterol uptakeAlain Montoudis
Department of Nutrition, Centre hospitalier universitaire Sainte Justine, Universite de Montreal, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
J Lipid Res 49:961-72. 2008..Overall, our data suggest that I-FABP may influence mitochondrial FA oxidation and CHOL transport by regulating gene expression and interaction with nuclear receptors...
- Dietary patterns and risk for Crohn's disease in childrenSavio D'Souza
Department of Nutrition, University of Montreal, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Inflamm Bowel Dis 14:367-73. 2008..Some dietary foods are considered protective (vegetables and fruits), whereas others (fatty foods) are thought to enhance the risk for Crohn's disease (CD). The evidence, however, is inconsistent...
- Anderson or chylomicron retention disease: molecular impact of five mutations in the SAR1B gene on the structure and the functionality of Sar1b proteinMathilde Charcosset
UF Lipides Dyslipidémies, Laboratoire de Biochimie, CBE, 59 Boulevard Pinel, Bron Cedex, France
Mol Genet Metab 93:74-84. 2008..A determination of the specific mutation in Anderson disease or CMRD is required to ensure diagnosis and allow prompt therapeutic intervention in these children...
- Fatty acid composition in postmortem brains of people who completed suicideAleksandra Lalovic
McGill Group for Suicide Studies, Douglas Hospital Research Centre, Verdun, QC, Canada
J Psychiatry Neurosci 32:363-70. 2007....
- Quantitative analysis of a proteome by N-terminal stable-isotope labelling of tryptic peptidesMichael Fedjaev
Sainte Justine Hospital Research Center, University of Montreal, 3175 Cote Ste Catherine Road, Montreal Quebec, H3T 1C5, Canada
Rapid Commun Mass Spectrom 21:2671-9. 2007..The comparison of the results obtained by isotope tagging and biochemical assays demonstrate that global isotope tagging with pentafluorophenyl esters allows accurate quantification of complex protein samples...
- Imbalances in dietary consumption of fatty acids, vegetables, and fruits are associated with risk for Crohn's disease in childrenDevendra K Amre
Department of Pediatrics, University of Montreal, Montreal, Canada
Am J Gastroenterol 102:2016-25. 2007..We examined the impact of diet on new onset CD in children using a validated food-frequency questionnaire (FFQ)...
- Cholesterol content in brains of suicide completersAleksandra Lalovic
McGill Group for Suicide Studies, Douglas Hospital Research Centre, McGill University, Verdun, Quebec, Canada
Int J Neuropsychopharmacol 10:159-66. 2007....
- Effect of different surfactants in biorelevant medium on the secretion of a lipophilic compound in lipoproteins using Caco-2 cell cultureDitte M Karpf
Department of Pharmaceutics, The Danish University of Pharmaceutical Sciences, DK 2100 Copenhagen, Denmark
J Pharm Sci 95:45-55. 2006....
- Circulating bile salt-dependent lipase originates from the pancreas via intestinal transcytosisNadine Bruneau
INSERM U559, Unité de Recherche de Physiopathologie des Cellules Epithéliales and EA 3289, Universite de la Mediterranee, Faculte de Medecine Timone, Marseilles, France
Gastroenterology 124:470-80. 2003..The origin of this circulating enzyme is unknown. The aim of this study was to show that blood BSDL originates from pancreatic exocrine secretions via a transcytotic motion across the intestinal epithelium...