Affiliation: University of Ottawa
Location: Ottawa, Canada
Dr. Mario Lamontagne received his PhD degree in Biomedical Engineering from the Ecole Polytechnique of Montreal at the University of Montreal. He is currently professor in Biomechanics, at the School of Human Kinetics of the University of Ottawa, as well as cross-appointed at the Department of Mechanical Engineering of this same University. Dr. Lamontagne is actively involved in joint mechanics, muscle modeling, measurements of in vivo mechanical properties of human tissues, electromyography, biomechanics of sport injuries and sport biomechanics. He has supervised numerous students at the Master and doctorate level. He has published more than 55 papers in referred journals. For the last 20 years, he has received research funding from the Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council of Canada (NSERC). Moreover, he is currently funded by NSERC, the Canadian Institutes of Health Research (CIHR) and the Canadian Arthritis Network (CAN). Dr. Lamontagne is active member of the CAN. His major research programs focus on the mechanics of the human knee joint of healthy and pathological subjects, as well as to the biomechanical assessment of the mobility of patients with a total hip arthroplasty or femoro-acetabular impingement. More recently, his research program is also looking at the effect of a whole body vibration therapy on muscle function and joint loading in children with juvenile idiopathic arthritis.
- Wretenberg P, Nemeth G, Lamontagne M, Lundin B. Passive knee muscle moment arms measured in vivo with MRI. Clin Biomech (Bristol, Avon). 1996;11:439-446 pubmed..CONCLUSIONS: Our results indicate that for most biomechanical analyses involving knee muscles, gender- and angle-specific moment arms should be used. ..
- Singer J, Lamontagne M. The effect of functional knee brace design and hinge misalignment on lower limb joint mechanics. Clin Biomech (Bristol, Avon). 2008;23:52-9 pubmed..In addition, although there were brace induced changes in lower limb kinematics with 2cm of distal hinge misalignment, it is unlikely that hinge misalignment of this magnitude is detrimental to an uninjured knee joint during walking. ..
- Théoret D, Lamontagne M. Study on three-dimensional kinematics and electromyography of ACL deficient knee participants wearing a functional knee brace during running. Knee Surg Sports Traumatol Arthrosc. 2006;14:555-63 pubmed..The adaptations to bracing found in this preliminary study further support the potential mechanical and proprioceptive contributions of the functional knee brace to protect the ACLD knee. ..
- Kennedy M, Lamontagne M, Beaule P. Femoroacetabular impingement alters hip and pelvic biomechanics during gait Walking biomechanics of FAI. Gait Posture. 2009;30:41-4 pubmed publisher..Attenuated hip abduction, frontal ROM and sagittal ROM during gait in FAI individuals may be caused by soft tissue restriction, and decreased frontal pelvic ROM could result from limited mobility at the sacro-lumbar joint. ..
- Cerulli G, Benoit D, Lamontagne M, Caraffa A, Liti A. In vivo anterior cruciate ligament strain behaviour during a rapid deceleration movement: case report. Knee Surg Sports Traumatol Arthrosc. 2003;11:307-11 pubmed..This technique may be used in further sport-specific movements to gain insight into movement patterns associated with ACL injury mechanisms. ..
- Ramsey D, Wretenberg P, Benoit D, Lamontagne M, Nemeth G. Methodological concerns using intra-cortical pins to measure tibiofemoral kinematics. Knee Surg Sports Traumatol Arthrosc. 2003;11:344-9 pubmed..This may stretch the IT band and quadriceps tendon and may guide the femoral pin into a more optimal position prior to it being inserted into the cortex of the bone. ..
- Ramsey D, Wretenberg P, Lamontagne M, Németh G. Electromyographic and biomechanic analysis of anterior cruciate ligament deficiency and functional knee bracing. Clin Biomech (Bristol, Avon). 2003;18:28-34 pubmed..Our findings stresses the importance of functional knee bracing combined with proprioceptive and muscular coordination training in order to increase joint stability. ..
- Lafrenière C, Lamontagne M, el Sawy R. The role of the lateral pterygoid muscles in TMJ disorders during static conditions. Cranio. 1997;15:38-52 pubmed..A neuromuscular adaptation could be occurring in the TMJ ID masticatory system affecting muscular actions and forces. ..
- Nemeth G, Lamontagne M, Tho K, Eriksson E. Electromyographic activity in expert downhill skiers using functional knee braces after anterior cruciate ligament injuries. Am J Sports Med. 1997;25:635-41 pubmed..We suggest that the brace caused an increased afferent input from proprioceptors, resulting in an adaptation of motor control patterns secondarily modifying electromyographic activity and timing. ..
- Rolf C, Westblad P, Ekenman I, Lundberg A, Murphy N, Lamontagne M, et al. An experimental in vivo method for analysis of local deformation on tibia, with simultaneous measures of ground reaction forces, lower extremity muscle activity and joint motion. Scand J Med Sci Sports. 1997;7:144-51 pubmed..97-0.99). In addition, a linear relationship was found between externally applied static forces and strain gauge response in a four-point bending cadaver system (r = 0.96-0.98). ..
- Lemaire E, Lamontagne M, Barclay H, John T, Martel G. A technique for the determination of center of gravity and rolling resistance for tilt-seat wheelchairs. J Rehabil Res Dev. 1991;28:51-8 pubmed..These quantitative measures are expected to be of use in the setup of wheelchairs with a variable seat angle and variable wheelbase length or when making comparisons between different wheelchairs. ..
- Mâsse L, Lamontagne M, O Riain M. Biomechanical analysis of wheelchair propulsion for various seating positions. J Rehabil Res Dev. 1992;29:12-28 pubmed..The trunk angular momentum was not found to be affected by a change in seat position which may be related to the variability among the subject's technique of propulsion or to a posture compensation. ..
- Beaulieu M, Lamontagne M, Xu L. Lower limb muscle activity and kinematics of an unanticipated cutting manoeuvre: a gender comparison. Knee Surg Sports Traumatol Arthrosc. 2009;17:968-76 pubmed publisher..Given that this knee position places greater strain on the anterior cruciate ligament, a restoration of the medial/lateral activation balance of the lower limb muscles may reduce one's risk of injury. ..
- Beaulieu M, Lamontagne M, Beaule P. Lower limb biomechanics during gait do not return to normal following total hip arthroplasty. Gait Posture. 2010;32:269-73 pubmed publisher..Further investigation is needed to confirm the reasons why THA patients' gait mechanics do not return to normal following surgery to develop better surgical techniques and/or rehabilitation programs. ..
- Lamontagne M, Brisson N, Kennedy M, Beaule P. Preoperative and postoperative lower-extremity joint and pelvic kinematics during maximal squatting of patients with cam femoro-acetabular impingement. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2011;93 Suppl 2:40-5 pubmed publisher..Therapeutic Level IV. See Instructions to Authors for a complete description of levels of evidence. ..
- Beaulieu M, Lamontagne M, Xu L. Gender differences in time-frequency EMG analysis of unanticipated cutting maneuvers. Med Sci Sports Exerc. 2008;40:1795-804 pubmed publisher..Gender differences in knee kinematics were also observed, exposing the female ACL to higher strain, which may be the result of differences in neuromuscular strategies to stabilize the knee joint. ..
- Delorme S, Tavoularis S, Lamontagne M. Kinematics of the ankle joint complex in snowboarding. J Appl Biomech. 2005;21:394-403 pubmed..Step-in boots were shown to allow less dorsiflexion, eversion, and external rotation than softer boots, possibly explaining why they are associated with a lower rate of fractures of the talus than soft boots. ..
- Benoit D, Ramsey D, Lamontagne M, Xu L, Wretenberg P, Renstrom P. Effect of skin movement artifact on knee kinematics during gait and cutting motions measured in vivo. Gait Posture. 2006;24:152-64 pubmed..Although skin-marker derived kinematics could provide repeatable results this was not representative of the motion of the underlying bones. A standard error of measurement is proposed for the reporting of 3D knee joint kinematics. ..
- Benoit D, Lamontagne M, Cerulli G, Liti A. The clinical significance of electromyography normalisation techniques in subjects with anterior cruciate ligament injury during treadmill walking. Gait Posture. 2003;18:56-63 pubmed..This study indicates the importance of choosing the appropriate normalisation technique since its choice will change outcome measures and subsequent clinical interpretation. ..
- Tafazzoli F, Lamontagne M. Mechanical behaviour of hamstring muscles in low-back pain patients and control subjects. Clin Biomech (Bristol, Avon). 1996;11:16-24 pubmed..The damping coefficient was a polynomial function of the hip flexion angle. The measured variables were analysed using a discriminant function and it was shown that the two groups were clearly discriminable in a meaningful manner. ..
- Ramsey D, Lamontagne M, Wretenberg P, Valentin A, Engstrom B, Nemeth G. Assessment of functional knee bracing: an in vivo three-dimensional kinematic analysis of the anterior cruciate deficient knee. Clin Biomech (Bristol, Avon). 2001;16:61-70 pubmed..Questions remain regarding tibiofemoral joint motion, in particular linear displacements. The pin technique is a means for direct skeletal measurement and may provide a more sensitive measure of the differences between brace conditions. ..
- Elfving B, Nemeth G, Arvidsson I, Lamontagne M. Reliability of EMG spectral parameters in repeated measurements of back muscle fatigue. J Electromyogr Kinesiol. 1999;9:235-43 pubmed..Whether the low intraclass correlation coefficient for the EMG parameters in the presently studied test group implies a low potential in discriminating subjects with back pain can not be decisively concluded...
- Giroux B, Lamontagne M. Net shoulder joint moment and muscular activity during light weight-handling at different displacements and frequencies. Ergonomics. 1992;35:385-403 pubmed..The non-significant difference of IN LE EMG between frequencies obtained for all muscles indicated that neither frequencies induced more muscular activity. ..
- Ng K, Lamontagne M, BeaulÃ© P. Differences in anatomical parameters between the affected and unaffected hip in patients with bilateral cam-type deformities. Clin Biomech (Bristol, Avon). 2016;33:13-19 pubmed publisher..A decreased femoral neck-shaft angle or medial proximal femoral angle can be implemented as a diagnostic predictor, to determine which hip may be at a greater risk of developing early symptoms. ..