Affiliation: University of Alberta
- Indigenous health part 2: the underlying causes of the health gapMalcolm King
Department of Medicine, University of Alberta, Edmonton, AB, Canada
Lancet 374:76-85. 2009..The topics covered include Indigenous notions of health and identity; mental health and addictions; urbanisation and environmental stresses; whole health and healing; and reconciliation...
- Physiology of mucus clearanceMalcolm King
Pulmonary Research Group, 173 Heritage Med Res Ctr, University of Alberta, Edmonton, AB, Canada T6G 2S2
Paediatr Respir Rev 7:S212-4. 2006
- Mucomodulator therapy in cystic fibrosis: balancing mucus clearability against the spread of airborne pathogensMalcolm King
Pulmonary Research Group, 173 Heritage Med Res Ctr, University of Alberta, Edmonton, AB T6G 2S2, Canada
Pediatr Pulmonol Suppl 26:77-9. 2004
- Rheology of cystic fibrosis sputum after in vitro treatment with hypertonic saline alone and in combination with recombinant human deoxyribonuclease IM King
Pulmonary Research Group, University of Alberta, Edmonton, Canada
Am J Respir Crit Care Med 156:173-7. 1997..These in vitro results suggest that combined treatment with rhDNase and HS should be evaluated further as a potential mucotropic approach to augment the clearance of purulent sputum in CF lung disease...
- An overall approach to health care for indigenous peoplesMalcolm King
University of Alberta Pulmonary Research Group, CIHR Institute of Aboriginal Peoples Health, University of Alberta, 173 HMRC University of Alberta, Edmonton, AB T6G 2S2, Canada
Pediatr Clin North Am 56:1239-42. 2009....
- Pharmacological approaches to discovery and development of new mucolytic agentsMalcolm King
University of Alberta Pulmonary Research Group, 173 Heritage Medical Research Center, Edmonton, Alberta T6G 2S2, Canada
Adv Drug Deliv Rev 54:1475-90. 2002..Further studies are required to confirm these findings, to perform direct assessments of mucus clearability, and to extend the observations to patients with various types of pulmonary diseases where mucoactive treatments are required...
- A new paradigm in respiratory hygiene: modulating respiratory secretions to contain cough bioaerosol without affecting mucus clearanceGustavo Zayas
University of Alberta Pulmonary Research Group, Edmonton, Canada
BMC Pulm Med 7:11. 2007....
- Adaptation of an amphibian mucociliary clearance model to evaluate early effects of tobacco smoke exposureJ Gustavo Zayas
Mucobiology Research Unit, Pulmonary Research Group, University of Alberta, Edmonton, Canada
Respir Res 5:9. 2004..The respiratory system has to undergo an iterative process of injury, healing and remodeling with every exposure...
- Additive effect of dornase alfa and Nacystelyn on transportability and viscoelasticity of cystic fibrosis sputumFeng Sun
Pulmonary Research Group, 173 Heritage Medical Research Centre, University of Alberta, Edmonton, Alberta T6G 2S2, Canada
Can Respir J 9:401-6. 2002..Clinical studies should be undertaken to see whether the additive combination at lower concentration produces the anticipated benefits of improved airway clearance and fewer side effects...
- Recent epidemiologic trends of diabetes mellitus among status Aboriginal adultsRichard T Oster
Department of Medicine, University of Alberta, Edmonton, Alta
CMAJ 183:E803-8. 2011..We compared the incidence and prevalence of diabetes, and its impact on mortality, among status Aboriginal adults and adults in the general population between 1995 and 2007...
- Cough aerosol in healthy participants: fundamental knowledge to optimize droplet-spread infectious respiratory disease managementGustavo Zayas
Mucophysiology Laboratory, Department of Medicine, Faculty of Medicine and Dentistry, University of Alberta, Edmonton, AB, Canada
BMC Pulm Med 12:11. 2012..The objective of the current study was to characterize the human cough aerosol pattern with the aim of developing a standard human cough bioaerosol model for Influenza Pandemic control...
- Effect of needle puncture and electro-acupuncture on mucociliary clearance in anesthetized quailsShusheng Tai
Pulmonary Research Group, 173 Heritage Medical Research Center, University of Alberta, Edmonton, AB T6G 2S2, Canada
BMC Complement Altern Med 6:4. 2006....
- Lung delivery of aerosolized dextranW H Finlay
Aerosol Research Laboratory, Department of Mechanical Engineering, University of Alberta, Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Am J Respir Crit Care Med 161:91-7. 2000..5-ml volume fill and a dextran concentration of 200 mg/ml...
- A mechanism of airway injury in an epithelial model of mucociliary clearanceDarryl W O'Brien
Pulmonary Research Group, Department of Medicine, University of Alberta, Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Respir Res 5:10. 2004....
- A new paradigm in respiratory hygiene: increasing the cohesivity of airway secretions to improve cough interaction and reduce aerosol dispersionGustavo Zayas
Pulmonary Research Group, University of Alberta, Edmonton, Canada
BMC Pulm Med 5:11. 2005..Our goal is to reduce the aerosolizability of respiratory secretions while interfering only minimally with normal mucus clearance using agents capable of increasing crosslinking in the mucin glycoprotein network...
- High rates of the metabolic syndrome in a First Nations Community in western Canada: prevalence and determinants in adults and childrenSharndeep Norry Kaler
Heritage Research Medical Center, Department of Medicine, University of Alberta, Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Int J Circumpolar Health 65:389-402. 2006..High rates of obesity, pre-diabetes and metabolic syndrome for participants aged < 18 raise concerns about future prevalence of diabetes and cardiovascular disease...
- Recurrent respiratory infections in a child with fucosidosis: is the mucus too thin for effective transport?B K Rubin
Department of Pediatrics, University of Alberta Hospitals, Edmonton, Canada
Pediatr Pulmonol 10:304-9. 1991..This leads to mucus that is abnormally watery and thus difficult to clear from the airway...
- Collection and analysis of respiratory mucus from subjects without lung diseaseB K Rubin
University of Alberta Pulmonary Defense Group, Department of Paediatrics, Edmonton, Canada
Am Rev Respir Dis 141:1040-3. 1990..This technique for mucus collection allows us to study alterations in mucus properties in patients with and without pulmonary disease at the time of incidental surgery.(ABSTRACT TRUNCATED AT 250 WORDS)..
- General anesthesia does not alter the viscoelastic or transport properties of human respiratory mucusB K Rubin
University of Alberta, Department of Pediatrics Pulmonary, Edmonton, Canada
Chest 98:101-4. 1990..The decrease in MTR during general anesthesia is probably due to mechanisms other than alterations in the physical properties of mucus...
- Prevalence of asthma and chronic obstructive pulmonary disease in Aboriginal and non-Aboriginal populations: a systematic review and meta-analysis of epidemiological studiesMaria B Ospina
School of Public Health, Faculty of Medicine and Dentisttry, University of Alberta, Edmonton, Alberta
Can Respir J 19:355-60. 2012..Asthma and chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) have considerable potential for inequities in diagnosis and treatment, thereby affecting vulnerable groups...
- A rapid point of care immunoswab assay for SARS-CoV detectionSriram Kammila
Faculty of Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Sciences, University of Alberta, 11304 89 Avenue, Edmonton, Alberta, Canada T6G 2N8
J Virol Methods 152:77-84. 2008..The key feature of this simple immunoswab diagnostic assay is its ability to detect the presence of the SARS-CoV antigen within 45-60 min with the availability of the body fluid samples...
- Regulation of Cl- secretion by alpha2-adrenergic receptors in mouse colonic epitheliumRebecca S Lam
Department of Physiology, University of Alberta, Edmonton, Canada T6G 2H7
J Physiol 548:475-84. 2003..In summary, alpha2ARs inhibit anion secretion in colonic epithelia by acting on basolateral KATP channels, through a process that does not involve classical second messengers...
- Increasing incidence and prevalence of diabetes among the Status Aboriginal population in urban and rural Alberta, 1995-2006Jeffrey A Johnson
Department of Public Health Sciences, School of Public Health, University of Alberta, Edmonton, AB
Can J Public Health 100:231-6. 2009..To compare changes in diagnosed diabetes prevalence and incidence among Status Aboriginal men and women living in urban and rural areas of Alberta...
- Ophiopogon root (Radix Ophiopogonis) prevents ultra-structural damage by SO2 in an epithelial injury model for studies of mucociliary transportM I Morris
Heritage Medical Research Centre, Room 173, Pulmonary Research Group, University of Alberta, Edmonton, Alberta, Canada T6G 2S2
Life Sci 74:2413-22. 2004..In OR-incubated palates, mucociliary transport was completely restored within 20 min after topical application of MB, possibly through a protective action on the extra-cellular matrix...
- Thioredoxin liquefies and decreases the viscoelasticity of cystic fibrosis sputumRaymond C Rancourt
National Jewish Medical and Research Center, 1400 Jackson St, Denver, CO 80206, USA
Am J Physiol Lung Cell Mol Physiol 286:L931-8. 2004..Recognizing that mucins are the major gel-forming glycoproteins in mucus, we suggest that Trx alters sputum rheology by enzymatic reduction of glycoprotein polymers present in sputum...
- Effects of intravenous furosemide on mucociliary transport and rheological properties of patients under mechanical ventilationCláudia Seiko Kondo
Universidade de Sao Paulo, Sao Paulo, Brazil
Crit Care 6:81-7. 2002..The remaining parameters did not change significantly in either group. Our results support the hypothesis that IV furosemide might acutely impair MCT in patients under MV...
- Long term azithromycin therapy in cystic fibrosis patients: a study on drug levels and sputum propertiesUlrich Baumann
Department of Pediatric Pulmonology and Neonatology, Hanover Medical School, Hanover, Germany
Can Respir J 11:151-5. 2004..However, the underlying mechanisms remain uncertain. Some macrolides, including AZM, display inhibition of virulence factors and other antipseudomonal effects at subinhibitory levels in vitro...