M A Katzman
Affiliation: University of Toronto
- Pharmacotherapy of post-traumatic stress disorder: a family practitioners guide to management of the diseaseMartin A Katzman
Start Clinic for the Treatment of Mood and Anxiety Disorders, 790 Bay St Suite 1110, Toronto, Ontario, M5G 1N8, Canada
Expert Rev Neurother 5:129-39. 2005..Pharmacologic therapy instituted at the time of acute psychologic trauma shows promise for the prevention of post-traumatic stress disorder in the future and warrants further study...
- Treatments for generalized anxiety disorderLukasz Struzik
Faculty of Medicine, University of Toronto, 1909 Beechknoll Ave, Mississauga, Ontario, L4W 2G4, Canada
Expert Rev Neurother 4:285-94. 2004..Based on current evidence, the recommended approach to achieving long-term benefits for patients with generalized anxiety disorder is antidepressant therapy with paroxetine or venlafaxine in combination with cognitive behavioral therapy...
- Beyond shy: when to suspect social anxiety disorderJessica Rosenthal
START Clinic for Mood and Anxiety Disorders, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
J Fam Pract 56:369-74. 2007
- Weight gain and psychiatric treatment: Is there a role for green tea and conjugated linoleic acid?Martin A Katzman
START Clinic for the Mood and Anxiety Disorders, Toronto, Canada
Lipids Health Dis 6:14. 2007..Since weight gain is a common and undesirable side-effect with psychiatric medications, our observation strongly suggests the need for controlled clinical trials using these agents...
- Managing major depressive disorder through the use of adjunct therapiesMartin A Katzman
START Clinic for Mood and Anxiety Disorders, Toronto, ON, Canada Northern Ontario School of Medicine, Thunder Bay, ON, Canada Department of Psychology, Lakehead University, Thunder Bay, ON, Canada Department of Psychiatry, Faculty of Medicine, University of Toronto, Toronto, ON, Canada Adler Graduate Professional School, Toronto, ON, Canada Electronic address
Psychiatry Res 220:S1-2. 2014..This supplement was written to address the issues of less than ideal outcomes and approaches to enhancing response and remission rates. ..
- A review of OROS methylphenidate (Concerta(Â®)) in the treatment of attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorderMartin A Katzman
START Clinic for Mood and Anxiety Disorders, 32 Park Road, Toronto, ON, M4W 2N4, Canada
CNS Drugs 28:1005-33. 2014..This paper reviews the data in support of long-acting OROS MPH in children, adolescents and adults, both in ADHD and in association with its comorbidities...
- Beyond chronic pain: How best to treat psychological comorbiditiesMartin A Katzman
START Clinic for Mood and Anxiety Disorders, Toronto, Ontario, Canada Email
J Fam Pract 63:260-4. 2014..When chronic pain is accompanied by disturbances in sleep, a psychiatric disorder, or substance misuse, a single agent with multiple symptom targets may be the best place to start. ..
- A multicomponent yoga-based, breath intervention program as an adjunctive treatment in patients suffering from generalized anxiety disorder with or without comorbiditiesMartin A Katzman
START Clinic for Mood and Anxiety Disorders, Toronto, ON, Canada
Int J Yoga 5:57-65. 2012....
- Venlafaxine in the treatment of panic disorderMartin A Katzman
START Clinic for the Mood and Anxiety Disorders, Toronto, ON, Canada
Neuropsychiatr Dis Treat 3:59-67. 2007..Generally well tolerated, with side-effects that usually abate with continued treatment, venlafaxine is an important option to the SSRIs for the treatment of patients with panic disorder...
- A randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled pilot study of a probiotic in emotional symptoms of chronic fatigue syndromeA Venket Rao
Integrative Care Centre of Toronto, 3600 Ellesmere Road, Unit 4, Toronto, Ontario M1C 4Y8, Canada
Gut Pathog 1:6. 2009..01). These results lend further support to the presence of a gut-brain interface, one that may be mediated by microbes that reside or pass through the intestinal tract...
- Stability of methylnicotinate in aqueous solution as utilized in the 'niacin patch test'Brian M Ross
Northern Ontario School of Medicine, Lakehead University, Thunder Bay, Ontario, Canada
BMC Res Notes 1:89. 2008..To aid in the determination of how long solutions of the drug should be stored before discarding we have used a collection of aged batches of methylnicotinate to determine the stability of the drug in aqueous solution...
- Extended release quetiapine fumarate (quetiapine XR) monotherapy as maintenance treatment for generalized anxiety disorder: a long-term, randomized, placebo-controlled trialMartin A Katzman
START Clinic for Mood and Anxiety Disorders, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Int Clin Psychopharmacol 26:11-24. 2011..Quetiapine XR monotherapy reduced the risk of anxiety symptom recurrence in patients with GAD stabilized on quetiapine XR, with tolerability results consistent with the known profile of quetiapine...
- Current considerations in the treatment of generalized anxiety disorderMartin A Katzman
START Stress, Trauma, Anxiety, Rehabilitation, and Treatment Clinic for Mood and Anxiety Disorders, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
CNS Drugs 23:103-20. 2009..Evidence from early clinical studies of the atypical antipsychotics in the treatment of anxiety and GAD indicate that they may have a potential role in the treatment of GAD, either as monotherapy or as augmentation to standard treatment...
- Quetiapine as an adjunctive pharmacotherapy for the treatment of non-remitting generalized anxiety disorder: a flexible-dose, open-label pilot trialM A Katzman
START Clinic for Mood and Anxiety Disorders, Canada
J Anxiety Disord 22:1480-6. 2008..Generalized anxiety disorder (GAD) is a chronic disorder associated with significant morbidity and disability. Traditional therapies are associated with poor levels of remission, and often result in troublesome side effects...
- Paroxetine versus placebo and other agents for depressive disorders: a systematic review and meta-analysisMartin A Katzman
Faculty of Medicine, Department of Psychiatry, University of Toronto, Ontario, Canada
J Clin Psychiatry 68:1845-59. 2007..To compare paroxetine with placebo and other antidepressants across multiple efficacy and tolerability outcomes...
- Acne vulgaris: nutritional factors may be influencing psychological sequelaeMartin Katzman
START Clinic for Mood and Anxiety Disorders, University of Toronto, 790 Bay St, Toronto, Canada ON M5G 1N8
Med Hypotheses 69:1080-4. 2007..It is our contention that certain nutritional factors, a weakened antioxidant defense system and altered intestinal microflora may interplay to increase the risk of psychological sequelae in acne vulgaris...
- Venlafaxine in the treatment of anxiety disordersMartin Katzman
University of Toronto, Toronto, Canada
Expert Rev Neurother 4:371-81. 2004..Generally well-tolerated with side effects that usually abate with continued treatment, venlafaxine is an important alternative to the selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors for patients with anxiety disorders...
- Did a switch to a generic antidepressant cause relapse?Jessica Rosenthal
START Clinic for Mood and Anxiety Disorders, Toronto, Ontario
J Fam Pract 57:109-14. 2008
- The role of atypical antipsychotics in bipolar depression and anxiety disordersRoger McIntyre
Mood Disorder Psychopharmacology Unit, University of Toronto, University Health Network, Toronto Western Hospital, 399 Bathurst Street, ECW 3D 003, Toronto, Ontario, M5T 2S9, Canada
Bipolar Disord 5:20-35. 2003..Thus, atypical antipsychotics represent an important therapeutic option for the treatment of bipolar disorder, providing improvements in manic, depressive, and anxiety symptoms...
- Herbs for mental illness: effectiveness and interaction with conventional medicinesMonica Vermani
Stress, Trauma, Anxiety, Rehabilitation Treatment Clinic for Mood and Anxiety Disorders, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
J Fam Pract 54:789-800. 2005