Affiliation: University of Ottawa
- Efficiency and safety of a standardized protocol for intravenous insulin therapy in ICU patients with neurovascular or head injurySalmaan Kanji
Department of Pharmacy, The Ottawa Hospital, 501 Smyth Rd, Ottawa, ON, K1H 8L6, Canada
Neurocrit Care 12:43-9. 2010..To evaluate the safety and efficiency of a protocol for glycemic control in intensive care unit (ICU) patients with neurovascular or head injury...
- Standardization of intravenous insulin therapy improves the efficiency and safety of blood glucose control in critically ill adultsSalmaan Kanji
Department of Pharmacy, Ottawa Hospital, General Campus, 501 Smyth, Ottawa, Ontario K1H 8L6, Canada
Intensive Care Med 30:804-10. 2004..This study evaluates the efficiency and safety of a nurse-managed insulin protocol in critically ill adults...
- Treatment of new-onset atrial fibrillation in noncardiac intensive care unit patients: a systematic review of randomized controlled trialsSalmaan Kanji
Ottawa Hospital, Canada
Crit Care Med 36:1620-4. 2008..The objective of this systematic review was to evaluate the efficacy of pharmacologic rhythm control of new-onset atrial fibrillation in noncardiac, critically ill adults...
- Systematic review of physical and chemical compatibility of commonly used medications administered by continuous infusion in intensive care unitsSalmaan Kanji
Department of Pharmacy, The Ottawa Hospital, Ontario, Canada
Crit Care Med 38:1890-8. 2010..To quantify the physical and chemical stability data published for commonly used continuously infused medications in the intensive care unit and to evaluate the quality of the studies providing these data...
- Evaluating the use of Drotrecogin alfa (activated) in adult severe sepsis: a Canadian multicenter observational studySalmaan Kanji
Department of Pharmacy, The Ottawa Hospital, Ottawa Health Research Institute, 501 Smyth Road, Room 1818, H1H 8L6, Ottawa, ON, Canada
Intensive Care Med 33:517-23. 2007..The purpose of this study was to characterize the usage patterns and clinical outcomes of DAA in Ontario and Quebec over a 1-year period...
- Inappropriate medication administration practices in Canadian adult ICUs: a multicenter, cross-sectional observational studySalmaan Kanji
The Ottawa Hospital, Associate Scientist, Ottawa Hospital Research Institute, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Ann Pharmacother 47:637-43. 2013..Coadministration of multiple medications through the same port of a venous access device often is necessary but requires an assessment of compatibility...
- Impaired gastrointestinal transit and its associated morbidity in the intensive care unitTiffany Nguyen
Department of Pharmacy, The Ottawa Hospital, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
J Crit Care 28:537.e11-7. 2013..To determine the proportion of critically ill adults developing impaired gastrointestinal transit (IGT) using a clinically pragmatic definition, its associated morbidity and risk factors...
- Comparative effectiveness of monotherapies and combination therapies for patients with hypertension: protocol for a systematic review with network meta-analysesBrian Hutton
Ottawa Hospital Research Institute, 501 Smyth Road, Ottawa, ON, Canada, Box 201 K1H 8L6
Syst Rev 2:44. 2013..The objective of this review is to explore the relative benefits and safety of different pharmacotherapies for management of non-diabetic patients with hypertension, whether of a mild or moderate to severe nature...
- Reliability of point-of-care testing for glucose measurement in critically ill adultsSalmaan Kanji
Department of Pharmacy, The Ottawa Hospital, Ottawa, Canada
Crit Care Med 33:2778-85. 2005..Therefore, it is imperative that bedside glucose testing methods be safe and accurate...
- Epidemiology and management of atrial fibrillation in medical and noncardiac surgical adult intensive care unit patientsSalmaan Kanji
The Ottawa Hospital, The Ottawa Hospital Research Institute, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada K1H 8L6
J Crit Care 27:326.e1-8. 2012....
- Efficacy and safety of dopamine agonists in traumatic brain injury: a systematic review of randomized controlled trialsAnne Julie Frenette
Department of Pharmacy, Hopital du Sacre Coeur de Montreal, Faculty of Pharmacy, University of Montreal, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
J Neurotrauma 29:1-18. 2012..Considering the absence of consensus regarding clinical outcome, the lack of safety assessment, and the high risk of bias in the included trials, more research is warranted before DA can be recommended in critically ill TBI patients...
- Allergic and hypersensitivity reactions in the intensive care unitSalmaan Kanji
Ottawa Hospital and Ottawa Health Research Institute, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Crit Care Med 38:S162-8. 2010..This article outlines the background and types of hypersensitivity reactions and provides descriptions and management strategies when applicable to common types of hypersensitivity reactions encountered in the intensive care unit...
- The efficacy and safety of heparin in patients with sepsis: a systematic review and metaanalysisRyan Zarychanski
1Section of Critical Care, Department of Internal Medicine, University of Manitoba, Winnipeg, MB, Canada 2Department of Haematology and Medical Oncology, CancerCare Manitoba, Winnipeg, MB, Canada 3George and Fay Yee Center for Healthcare Innovation, University of Manitoba Winnipeg Regional Health Authority, Winnipeg, MB, Canada 4Clinical Epidemiology Program, Ottawa Hospital Research Institute, Department of Pharmacy, The Ottawa Hospital, Ottawa, ON, Canada 5Division of Critical Care Medicine, Department of Anesthesiology, Centre de recherche CHU de Québec CHU de Québec Research Center Enfant Jésus Hospital, Axe Santé des populations et pratiques optimales en santé Population Health and Optimal Health Practices Unit, Universite Laval, Quebec City, QC, Canada 6Department of Internal Medicine, University of Toronto, ON, Canada 7Clinical Epidemiology Program, Ottawa Hospital Research Institute, Department of Medicine, University of Ottawa, ON, Canada 8Department of Medicine, Thrombosis and Atherosclerosis Research Institute, McMaster University, Hamilton, ON, Canada 9Department of Medicine, McMaster University, Hamilton, ON, Canada 10Department of Clinical Epidemiology and Biostatistics, McMaster University, Hamilton
Crit Care Med 43:511-8. 2015..To evaluate the efficacy and safety of heparin in patients with sepsis, septic shock, or disseminated intravascular coagulation associated with infection...
- Interactions of commonly used dietary supplements with cardiovascular drugs: a systematic reviewSalmaan Kanji
Ottawa Methods Centre, Clinical Epidemiology Program, Ottawa Hospital Research Institute, University of Ottawa Evidence Based Practice Center, Ottawa, ON, Canada
Syst Rev 1:26. 2012..Many patients on cardiovascular drugs take dietary supplements for presumed benefits and may be at risk for adverse supplement-drug interactions...
- The safety of ethanol infusions for the treatment of methanol or ethylene glycol intoxication: an observational studyMary Kate Wedge
Department of Pharmacy, Saint John Regional Hospital, Saint John, NB, Canada
CJEM 14:283-9. 2012..An evaluation of the safety and ease of titrating ethanol infusions is necessary given the availability of an alternative antidote...
- Protocol implementation in anesthesia: beta-blockade in non-cardiac surgery patientsAlan D Baxter
Department of Anesthesia and Critical Care, The Ottawa Hospital, General Campus, 501 Smyth Rd, Ottawa, Ontario K1H 8L6, Canada
Can J Anaesth 54:114-23. 2007..We report a retrospective assessment of the efficiency of program implementation...
- Effect of low-calorie parenteral nutrition on the incidence and severity of hyperglycemia in surgical patients: a randomized, controlled trialChristine L Ahrens
Department of Pharmacy, The Cleveland Clinic Foundation, Cleveland, OH, USA
Crit Care Med 33:2507-12. 2005..To determine the effect of a low-calorie parenteral nutrition (PN) regimen on the incidence and severity of hyperglycemia and insulin requirements...
- An evaluation of the cost effectiveness of drotrecogin alfa (activated) relative to the number of organ system failuresMadeline Betancourt
College of Pharmacy, Wayne State University, Detroit, Michigan, USA
Pharmacoeconomics 21:1331-40. 2003..Consequently, some institutions restrict drotrecogin alfa (activated) use to patients with severe sepsis with >/=2 organ system failures...
- Propofol associated with a shorter duration of mechanical ventilation than scheduled intermittent lorazepam: a database analysis using Project IMPACTJeffrey J Fong
School of Pharmacy, Northeastern University, Boston, MA 02115, USA
Ann Pharmacother 41:1986-91. 2007....
- Bioavailability of gatifloxacin by gastric tube administration with and without concomitant enteral feeding in critically ill patientsSalmaan Kanji
College of Pharmacy, Wayne State University, Detroit, MI, USA
Crit Care Med 31:1347-52. 2003..We evaluated the effect of critical illness and concomitant gastric tube feeding on gatifloxacin bioavailability...
- Characteristics of prophylactic antibiotic strategies after penetrating abdominal trauma at a level I urban trauma center: a comparison with the East guidelinesGeorge Delgado
Department of Pharmacy Services, Wayne State University, Detroit, Michigan, USA
J Trauma 53:673-8. 2002..We compared antibiotic prophylaxis practices after PAT at our institution with EAST guidelines, quantified the incidence of infection, and identified risk factors for infection...
- Tachyphylaxis associated with continuous cisatracurium versus pancuronium therapySalmaan Kanji
College of Pharmacy, Wayne State University, Detroit Receiving Hospital, Michigan 48201, USA
Pharmacotherapy 22:823-30. 2002..To compare dosing requirements over time among patients receiving continuous cisatracurium versus pancuronium therapy, and to identify factors that may account for changes in pancuronium versus cisatracurium infusion requirements over time...