Jack H Jhamandas
Affiliation: University of Alberta
- Kimura R, MacTavish D, Yang J, Westaway D, Jhamandas J. Pramlintide Antagonizes Beta Amyloid (AÎ²)- and Human Amylin-Induced Depression of Hippocampal Long-Term Potentiation. Mol Neurobiol. 2017;54:748-754 pubmed publisher..Amylin receptor antagonists may thus serve as potentially useful therapeutic agents in treatment of AD. ..
- Jhamandas J, Harris K, MacTavish D, Jassar B. Novel excitatory actions of galanin on rat cholinergic basal forebrain neurons: implications for its role in Alzheimer's disease. J Neurophysiol. 2002;87:696-704 pubmed..This action might serve to delay the progression of AD pathology linked to a reduction in central cholinergic tone...
- Jhamandas J, MacTavish D. Central administration of neuropeptide FF (NPFF) causes increased neuronal activation and up-regulation of NPFF gene expression in the rat brainstem. J Comp Neurol. 2002;447:300-7 pubmed..c.v. at the higher dose. The up-regulation of NPFF may play a homeostatic role in response to specific cardiovascular challenges, such as hypotension. ..
- Jhamandas J, Harris K, Cho C, Fu W, MacTavish D. Human amylin actions on rat cholinergic basal forebrain neurons: antagonism of beta-amyloid effects. J Neurophysiol. 2003;89:2923-30 pubmed..Furthermore, the two peptides may share a common mechanism of action. The ability of an amylin antagonist to block the responses evoked by hAmylin and A beta may provide a novel therapeutic approach for Alzheimer's disease. ..
- Jhamandas J, Simonin F, Bourguignon J, Harris K. Neuropeptide FF and neuropeptide VF inhibit GABAergic neurotransmission in parvocellular neurons of the rat hypothalamic paraventricular nucleus. Am J Physiol Regul Integr Comp Physiol. 2007;292:R1872-80 pubmed....
- Jhamandas J, MacTavish D. ?-Amyloid protein (A?) and human amylin regulation of apoptotic genes occurs through the amylin receptor. Apoptosis. 2012;17:37-47 pubmed publisher..These data allow us to identify key elements in the A?-induced apoptosis that are blocked by antagonism of the amylin receptor and further support the potential for amylin receptor blockade as a potential therapeutic avenue in AD. ..
- Patel A, Vasanthan V, Fu W, Fahlman R, MacTavish D, Jhamandas J. Histamine induces the production of matrix metalloproteinase-9 in human astrocytic cultures via H1-receptor subtype. Brain Struct Funct. 2016;221:1845-60 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, MMP-9 appears to cleave soA? into less toxic monomeric species. Given the key role of histamine in MMP-9 release, this neurotransmitter may serve as a potential therapeutic target for AD. ..
- Fu W, Patel A, Kimura R, Soudy R, Jhamandas J. Amylin Receptor: A Potential Therapeutic Target for Alzheimer's Disease. Trends Mol Med. 2017;23:709-720 pubmed publisher..Here, by discussing available evidence, we posit that the amylin receptor could be considered a potential therapeutic target for AD, and present the rationale for using amylin receptor antagonists to treat this debilitating condition. ..
- Jhamandas J, Cho C, Jassar B, Harris K, MacTavish D, Easaw J. Cellular mechanisms for amyloid beta-protein activation of rat cholinergic basal forebrain neurons. J Neurophysiol. 2001;86:1312-20 pubmed..These observations provide a cellular basis for the selectivity of Abeta neurotoxicity toward cholinergic basal forebrain neurons that are at the epicenter of AD pathology...
- Jhamandas J, MacTavish D, Harris K. Neuropeptide FF (NPFF) control of magnocellular neurosecretory cells of the rat hypothalamic paraventricular nucleus (PVN). Peptides. 2006;27:973-9 pubmed..These findings provide a cellular and anatomic basis for the NPFF-induced inhibition of vasopressin release has been reported consequent to hypovolemia and hyperosmolar stimulation. ..
- Fu W, Vukojevic V, Patel A, Soudy R, MacTavish D, Westaway D, et al. Role of microglial amylin receptors in mediating beta amyloid (A?)-induced inflammation. J Neuroinflammation. 2017;14:199 pubmed publisher....