Pamela E Houghton
Affiliation: University of Western Ontario
- Effects of low power laser irradiation on bone healing in animals: a meta-analysisSiamak Bashardoust Tajali
Department of Physical Therapy, Elborn College, The University of Western Ontario, London, Ontario, N6G 1H1, Canada
J Orthop Surg Res 5:1. 2010..726, 95% CI 0.08 - 1.37, p 0.028). While conclusions are limited by the low number of studies, there is concordance across limited evidence that laser improves the strength of bone tissue during the healing process in animal models...
- Effect of electrical stimulation on chronic leg ulcer size and appearancePamela E Houghton
School of Physical Therapy, University of Western Ontario, Room 1443, London, Ontario, Canada N6G 1H1
Phys Ther 83:17-28. 2003..The purpose of this study was to examine the effect of high-voltage pulsed current (HVPC) on healing of chronic leg ulcers...
- Electrical stimulation therapy increases rate of healing of pressure ulcers in community-dwelling people with spinal cord injuryPamela E Houghton
Rehabilitation and Geriatric Care Center, Lawson Health Research Institute, London, Ontario, Canada
Arch Phys Med Rehabil 91:669-78. 2010..To investigate whether electric stimulation therapy (EST) administered as part of a community-based, interdisciplinary wound care program accelerates healing of pressure ulcers in people with spinal cord injury (SCI)...
- A Prospective, Multicenter Study to Validate Use of the Pressure Ulcer Scale for Healing (PUSH(c)) in Patients with Diabetic, Venous, and Pressure UlcersJanice Hon
School of Physical Therapy, University of Western Ontario, London, Ontario, Canada Email
Ostomy Wound Manage 56:26-36. 2010..Additional studies to assess use of this tool for DFU and to ascertain the predictive validity of the PUSH tool are warranted...
- Effect of ultraviolet light C on bacterial colonization in chronic woundsThao P Thai
School of Physical Therapy, University of Western Ontario, London, Ontario, Canada N6G 1H1
Ostomy Wound Manage 51:32-45. 2005....
- Development, validity, reliability, and responsiveness of a new leg ulcer measurement toolM Gail Woodbury
Rehabilitation and Geriatric Care Division, Lawson Health Research Institute, Parkwood Hospital, St Joseph s Health Care London, Ontario, Canada
Adv Skin Wound Care 17:187-96. 2004..To develop and validate an assessment tool--the Leg Ulcer Measurement Tool (LUMT)--that would be able to detect changes in the appearance of lower extremity ulcers...
- Implementation of best practice in the prevention of heel pressure ulcers in the acute orthopedic populationKaren E Campbell
London Health Sciences Center, London, Ontario, Canada
Int Wound J 7:28-40. 2010..Heel PU can be prevented in most orthopaedic patients using a universal heel PU prevention program...
- The effect of pressure-relieving surfaces on the prevention of heel ulcers in a variety of settings: a meta-analysisGisella Nicosia
School of Physical Therapy, Faculty of Health Sciences, The University of Western Ontario, London, Ontario, Canada
Int Wound J 4:197-207. 2007..These results need to be interpreted with caution given the relatively low number and poor quality of research articles available to date...
- Ultraviolet light C in the treatment of chronic wounds with MRSA: a case studyThao P Thai
School of Physical Therapy, University of Western Ontario, Elborn College, London, Ontario, N6G 1H, Canada
Ostomy Wound Manage 48:52-60. 2002..This case study suggests that ultraviolet light C is a promising adjunctive therapy for chronic wounds containing antibiotic-resistant bacteria such as methicillin-resistant S. aureus...
- The average cost of pressure ulcer management in a community dwelling spinal cord injury populationBrian C Chan
Leslie Dan Faculty of Pharmacy, University of Toronto, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Int Wound J 10:431-40. 2013..Hospital admission costs represented the greatest percentage of the total cost (62%). Sensitivity analysis showed that the total average monthly costs were most sensitive to variations in hospitalisation costs. ..
- Exposure to low amounts of ultrasound energy does not improve soft tissue shoulder pathology: a systematic reviewLisa D Alexander
University of Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Phys Ther 90:14-25. 2010..Although therapeutic ultrasound is commonly used to treat shoulder injuries, research to date on the ability of ultrasound to improve outcomes for shoulder pathologies is conflicting...
- Heel ulcer incidence following orthopedic surgery: a prospective, observational studyKaren E Campbell
London Health Sciences Center, University Hospital, London, Ontario, Canada
Ostomy Wound Manage 56:32-9. 2010..All ulcers occurred in acute care and severe ulcers persisted while patients received rehabilitation and community care. This is the first study to follow orthopedic patients across the continuum of care...
- Best practice recommendations for the prevention and treatment of pressure ulcers: update 2006David H Keast
Family Medicine, University of Western Ontario, London, Ontario, Canada
Adv Skin Wound Care 20:447-60; quiz 461-2. 2007..Interpret the pathway to assess and treat pressure ulcers. 2. Differentiate the Registered Nurses' Association of Ontario (RNAO) levels of evidence. 3. Identify the scientific evidence for treatment recommendations...
- The therapeutic effect of functional and transcutaneous electric stimulation on improving gait speed in stroke patients: a meta-analysisShawn M Robbins
School of Physical Therapy, University of Western Ontario, London, Ontario, Canada
Arch Phys Med Rehabil 87:853-9. 2006..To determine the effect of previous treatments of functional electric stimulation (FES) and transcutaneous electric stimulation (TENS) on improving gait speed in subjects poststroke...
- Prevalence of pressure ulcers in Canadian healthcare settingsM Gail Woodbury
Lawson Health Research Institute, Program in Rehabilitation and Geriatric Care, London, Ontario, Canada
Ostomy Wound Manage 50:22-4, 26, 28, 30, 32, 34, 36-8. 2004..Although additional studies are needed, the data suggest that pressure ulcers are a significant concern in all healthcare settings in Canada...
- A comparison of computer-assisted and manual wound size measurementHabiba A Thawer
School of Physical Therapy, University of Western Ontario, Elborn College, London, Canada
Ostomy Wound Manage 48:46-53. 2002..The computerized technique permits reliable and valid assessment of the surface area of both human and animal wounds...