Petra M Hermann
Affiliation: University of Calgary
- Evidence for age-dependent mating strategies in the simultaneous hermaphrodite snail, Lymnaea stagnalis (L.)Petra M Hermann
Department of Biological Sciences, Faculty of Science, University of Calgary, Calgary, Alberta, T2N 1N4 Canada
J Exp Biol 212:3164-73. 2009..Together, our results indicate the existence of an age- and not size-dependent mating system in Lymnaea...
- Failure of delayed nonsynaptic neuronal plasticity underlies age-associated long-term associative memory impairmentShawn N Watson
Department of Biological Sciences, Faculty of Science, University of Calgary, Calgary, AB T2N 1 N4, Canada
BMC Neurosci 13:103. 2012....
- RGD-dependent mechanisms in the endoneurial phagocyte response and axonal regeneration in the nervous system of the snail Lymnaea stagnalisPetra M Hermann
Department of Biological Sciences, Faculty of Science, University of Calgary, Calgary, Alberta, Canada, T2N 1N4
J Exp Biol 211:491-501. 2008..Collectively, these results emphasize the significance of RGD-dependent mechanisms in the regenerative response of the Lymnaea nervous system and implicate regulation of the cellular immune response as one of the factors in this context...
- Phospholipase A₂: the key to reversing long-term memory impairment in a gastropod model of agingShawn N Watson
Department of Biological Sciences, Faculty of Science, University of Calgary, Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Neurobiol Aging 34:610-20. 2013..This supports the view that these processes suspend rather than irreversibly extinguish the aging nervous system's intrinsic capacity for plasticity...
- Epidermal growth factor-dependent enhancement of axonal regeneration in the pond snail Lymnaea stagnalis: role of phagocyte survivalPetra M Hermann
Department of Biological Sciences, University of Calgary, Alberta, Canada
J Comp Neurol 492:383-400. 2005..Thus, we add a novel perspective to the ongoing discussion on the functional significance of the EGF signaling system in the injury responses of the nervous system...
- Impairment of long-term associative memory in aging snails (Lymnaea stagnalis)Petra M Hermann
Department of Biological Sciences, Faculty of Science, University of Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Behav Neurosci 121:1400-14. 2007..Together, these results present the Lymnaea feeding system as a powerful paradigm for investigations of cellular and molecular foundations of biological aging in the brain...
- Evidence for inflammation-mediated memory dysfunction in gastropods: putative PLA2 and COX inhibitors abolish long-term memory failure induced by systemic immune challengesPetra M Hermann
Department of Biological Sciences, Faculty of Science, University of Calgary, Calgary, AB T2N 1N4, Canada
BMC Neurosci 14:83. 2013..This study investigated the effect of biologically realistic challenges of L. stagnalis host defense response system on LTM function and potential involvement of PLA2, COX and LOX therein...
- Rapid neuromodulatory actions of integrin ligandsWillem C Wildering
Department of Physiology and Biophysics, Neuroscience Research Group, Faculty of Medicine, University of Calgary, Calgary, Alberta, T2N 4N1 Canada
J Neurosci 22:2419-26. 2002..These findings indicate that ECM-integrin interactions play a dynamic role in regulating the physiological status of mature neurons, a process that may contribute to synaptic plasticity, neural regeneration, and neuropathology...
- Attenuation of knee joint inflammation by peripherally administered endomorphin-1Jason J McDougall
Department of Physiology and Biophysics, McCaig Centre for Joint Injury and Arthritis Research, University of Calgary, Calgary, AB T2N 4N1 Canada
J Mol Neurosci 22:125-37. 2004..These anti-inflammatory effects are mediated by micro-opioid receptors located on capsaicin-sensitive afferent nerves...