Genomes and Genes
Savraj S Grewal
Affiliation: University of Calgary
- Controlling animal growth and body size - does fruit fly physiology point the way?Savraj S Grewal
Clark Smith Brain Tumor Center, Southern Alberta Cancer Research Institute, Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, University of Calgary Alberta, T2N 1N4 Canada
F1000 Biol Rep 4:12. 2012..While this concept is obviously not new, these fly studies now open up the possibility of using a genetically tractable system to dissect in detail how organ-to-organ communication dictates body size...
- Drosophila TIF-IA is required for ribosome synthesis and cell growth and is regulated by the TOR pathwaySavraj S Grewal
Division of Basic Sciences, Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center, Seattle, WA 98109, USA
J Cell Biol 179:1105-13. 2007..Stimulation of rRNA synthesis by TIF-IA may therefore provide a feed-forward mechanism to coregulate the levels of other ribosome components...
- Insulin/TOR signaling in growth and homeostasis: a view from the fly worldSavraj S Grewal
Southern Alberta Cancer Research Institute, Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, University of Calgary, 3330 Hospital Drive, Calgary, AB T2N4N1, Canada
Int J Biochem Cell Biol 41:1006-10. 2009..The mechanisms identified in Drosophila likely operate in most metazoans, and are relevent to our understanding of diseases caused by aberrent insulin/TOR signaling such as cancer, diabetes and obesity...
- Nutrient/TOR-dependent regulation of RNA polymerase III controls tissue and organismal growth in DrosophilaLynne Marshall
Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, Clark H Smith Brain Tumour Centre, Southern Alberta Cancer Research Institute, University of Calgary, HRIC, Calgary, Alberta, Canada
EMBO J 31:1916-30. 2012..Thus, stimulation of Pol III is a key downstream effector of TOR in the control of cellular and systemic growth...
- Nutritional control of gene expression in Drosophila larvae via TOR, Myc and a novel cis-regulatory elementLing Li
Clark H, Smith Brain Tumour Center, Southern Alberta Cancer Research Institute, Calgary, Alberta T2N 4N1, Canada
BMC Cell Biol 11:7. 2010..However, less is known about the corresponding mechanisms that operate in metazoans. We used gene expression profiling to explore this issue in developing Drosophila larvae...
- Rheb-TOR signaling promotes protein synthesis, but not glucose or amino acid import, in DrosophilaDayna J Hall
Division of Basic Sciences, Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center, Seattle, Washington 98109, USA
BMC Biol 5:10. 2007..TOR activity is regulated by nutritional cues, suggesting that Rheb might either control, or respond to, nutrient availability...
- Myc-dependent regulation of ribosomal RNA synthesis during Drosophila developmentSavraj S Grewal
Division of Basic Sciences, Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center, Seattle, Washington 98109 1024, USA
Nat Cell Biol 7:295-302. 2005..In addition, the growth effects of dMyc in larval wing imaginal discs require de novo rRNA synthesis. We suggest that during animal development, the control of rRNA synthesis and ribosome biogenesis is an essential Myc function...
- Drosophila RNA polymerase III repressor Maf1 controls body size and developmental timing by modulating tRNAiMet synthesis and systemic insulin signalingElizabeth J Rideout
Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, Clark H Smith Brain Tumour Centre, Southern Alberta Cancer Research Institute, University of Calgary, Calgary, AB, Canada T2N 4N1
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 109:1139-44. 2012..These findings suggest the stimulation of tRNA(i)(Met) synthesis via inhibition of dMaf1 is limiting for nutrition-dependent growth during development...
- Chewing the fat; regulating autophagy in DrosophilaSavraj S Grewal
Division of Basic Sciences, Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center, 1100 Fairview Avenue North, Seattle, WA 98109 USA
Dev Cell 7:148-50. 2004..Two reports in this issue of Developmental Cell describe how both PI3 kinase and TOR signaling in Drosophila are critical for controlling autophagy in response to developmental and environmental cues...
- TIF-IA-dependent regulation of ribosome synthesis in drosophila muscle is required to maintain systemic insulin signaling and larval growthAbhishek Ghosh
Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, and Clark H Smith Brain Tumour Centre, Southern Alberta Cancer Research Institute, University of Calgary, Health Research Innovation Center, Calgary, Alberta, Canada
PLoS Genet 10:e1004750. 2014....