Affiliation: University of British Columbia
- Feelings of mental pollution subsequent to sexual assaultNichole Fairbrother
Anxiety Disorders Unit, Department of Psychiatry, UBC Hospital, A Site of Vancouver Hospital and Health Sciences Centre, Detwiller Pavillion, 2211 Westbrook Mall, Vancouver, BC V6T 2B5, Canada
Behav Res Ther 42:173-89. 2004..Nine women reported washing their hands in response to deliberate recall of the assault. These findings suggest that feelings of mental pollution may be prominent in victims of sexual assault...
- Psychometric evaluation of the Multidimensional Assessment of Fatigue scale for use with pregnant and postpartum womenNichole Fairbrother
Women s Health Research Institute, University of British Columbia, Canada
Psychol Assess 20:150-8. 2008..Results indicate that the MAF is a useful measure of fatigue among pregnant and postpartum women...
- Fear of childbirth and obstetrical events as predictors of postnatal symptoms of depression and post-traumatic stress disorderNichole Fairbrother
University of British Columbia, Vancouver, BC, Canada
J Psychosom Obstet Gynaecol 28:239-42. 2007..Several obstetrical and neonatal variables significantly predicted symptoms of post-traumatic disorder, but not depression...
- New parenthood as a risk factor for the development of obsessional problemsNichole Fairbrother
Centre for Healthcare Innovation and Improvement, E414A 4480 Oak Street, Vancouver, BC, Canada V6 H 3V4
Behav Res Ther 45:2155-63. 2007..The empirical status of the model described herein is discussed, along with suggestions for future research and implications for treatment...
- PTSD in victims of sexual assault: test of a major component of the Ehlers-Clark theoryNichole Fairbrother
Interdisciplinary Women s Reproductive Health Research Training Program, BCRICWH Department of Health Care and Epidemiology Faculty of Medicine, University of British Colombia, 5804 Fairview Avenue, Vancouver, BC, Canada V6T 1Z3
J Behav Ther Exp Psychiatry 37:74-93. 2006..This finding remained significant after statistically controlling for the perceived severity of the assault. Most of the results are consistent with the Ehlers-Clark theory...
- Mental pollution: feelings of dirtiness without physical contactNichole Fairbrother
Anxiety Disorders Unit, Department of Psychiatry, University of British Columbia Hospital, Purdy Pavilion, M42, 2221 Westbrook Mall, Vancouver, BC, Canada V6T 2B5
Behav Res Ther 43:121-30. 2005..The results are also compatible with case descriptions of the onset of mental pollution and OCD subsequent to sexual trauma. Some possible implications of the results, clinical and theoretical are adumbrated...
- New mothers' thoughts of harm related to the newbornNichole Fairbrother
Women s Health Research Institute, Vancouver, BC, Canada V6H 3N1
Arch Womens Ment Health 11:221-9. 2008..Unwanted intrusive thoughts of harming one's infant are a relatively normative experience during the early postpartum period, particularly in association with greater parenting stress and low social support...
- "It's all the rage these days": University students' attitudes toward vaginal and cesarean birthKathrin Stoll
Division of Midwifery, Department of Family Practice, University of British Columbia, B54 2194 Health Sciences Mall, Vancouver, BC V6T 1Z3, Canada
Birth 36:133-40. 2009....
- Relation between prenatal maternal mood and anxiety and neonatal healthShaila Misri
Department of Psychiatry, University of British Columbia, Vancouver
Can J Psychiatry 49:684-9. 2004..To examine the relation between the mood and anxiety of pregnant, psychiatrically treated women and neonatal health outcomes after birth...
- Fertility and aging: do reproductive-aged Canadian women know what they need to know?Karla L Bretherick
Department of Medical Genetics, University of British Columbia, Vancouver, British Columbia V5Z 1L3, Canada
Fertil Steril 93:2162-8. 2010..One of the factors that may contribute to this trend is a general lack of knowledge about the decline in fertility with age...
- Reproductive-aged women's knowledge and attitudes regarding infant-feeding practices: an experimental evaluationNichole Fairbrother
Department of Psychiatry Island Medical Program, University of British Columbia, Victoria, BC, Canada
J Hum Lact 26:157-67. 2010..The findings highlight gaps in knowledge that may contribute to premature cessation of breastfeeding among Canadian women and suggest the need for breastfeeding education...