Genomes and Genes
Angela M Devlin
Affiliation: University of British Columbia
- Metabolic interactions of alcohol and folateCharles H Halsted
Department of Internal Medicine, University of California, Davis, 95616, USA
J Nutr 132:2367S-2372S. 2002..At the same time, folate deficiency accelerates alcohol-induced changes in hepatic methionine metabolism while promoting enhanced oxidative liver injury and the histopathology of ALD...
- Interactions among polymorphisms in folate-metabolizing genes and serum total homocysteine concentrations in a healthy elderly populationAngela M Devlin
Department of Internal Medicine, University of California, Davis, Davis, CA, USA
Am J Clin Nutr 83:708-13. 2006..Homocysteine concentrations are influenced by vitamin status and genetics, especially several polymorphisms in folate-metabolizing genes...
- Prenatal exposure to maternal depressed mood and the MTHFR C677T variant affect SLC6A4 methylation in infants at birthAngela M Devlin
Department of Pediatrics, Child and Family Research Institute, University of British Columbia, Vancouver, Canada
PLoS ONE 5:e12201. 2010..The methylation status of SLC6A4, which encodes the transmembrane serotonin transporter, and BDNF, which encodes brain derived neurotrophic factor, were assessed because of their potential role in behaviour...
- Hepatic acyl-coenzyme a:cholesterol acyltransferase-2 expression is decreased in mice with hyperhomocysteinemiaAngela M Devlin
Department of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine, Pediatrics, Child and Family Research Institute, University of British Columbia, Vancouver V5Z 4H4, Canada
J Nutr 140:231-7. 2010..These findings show altered methylation and expression of Soat2/ACAT2 in liver from mice with HHcy and suggest a role for changes in liver CE in the pathology of HHcy...
- Hypermethylation of Fads2 and altered hepatic fatty acid and phospholipid metabolism in mice with hyperhomocysteinemiaAngela M Devlin
Nutrition Research Program, Department of Pediatrics, Child and Family Research Institute, University of British Columbia, Vancouver V6H 3N1, Canada
J Biol Chem 282:37082-90. 2007..05), and lower Delta6-desaturase activity (p<0.001) in liver from mice with HHcy. These findings suggest that methylation silencing of liver Fads2 expression and changes in liver fatty acids may contribute to the pathology of HHcy...
- Folate deficiency disturbs hepatic methionine metabolism and promotes liver injury in the ethanol-fed micropigCharles H Halsted
Department of Internal Medicine, School of Medicine, University of California, Davis, CA 95616, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 99:10072-7. 2002..Steatohepatitis occurred in five of six pigs in FDE but not in the other groups. In summary, folate deficiency enhances perturbations in hepatic methionine metabolism and DNA damage while promoting alcoholic liver injury...
- Tissue-specific relationship of S-adenosylhomocysteine with allele-specific H19/Igf2 methylation and imprinting in mice with hyperhomocysteinemiaMelissa B Glier
Department of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine, University of British Columbia, Child and Family Research Institute, Vancouver, BC, Canada
Epigenetics 8:44-53. 2013..These findings suggest the relationship of AdoMet and AdoHcy to gene-specific DNA methylation is tissue-specific and that changes in DNA methylation can occur without changes in AdoMet and AdoHcy...
- Epigenetic regulation of glucocorticoid receptor expression in aorta from mice with hyperhomocysteinemiaDian C Sulistyoningrum
Department of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine, Child and Family Research Institute, University of British Columbia, Vancouver, BC, Canada
Epigenetics 7:514-21. 2012..These findings show methylation and silencing of vascular Nr3c1 expression and suggest a role for epigenetic regulation of gene expression in HHcy...
- Tissue-specific changes in H19 methylation and expression in mice with hyperhomocysteinemiaAngela M Devlin
Department of Internal Medicine, University of Iowa Carver College of Medicine, Iowa City, Iowa 52242, USA
J Biol Chem 280:25506-11. 2005..05, r = 0.620). We conclude that hyperhomocysteinemia produces tissue-specific changes in H19 DMD methylation and increased vascular expression of H19 in adult mice...
- Cerebral vascular dysfunction in methionine synthase-deficient miceSanjana Dayal
Department of Internal Medicine, University of Iowa, Carver College of Medicine, Iowa City, IA, USA
Circulation 112:737-44. 2005..We tested the hypothesis that deficiency of MS impairs endothelial function in mice heterozygous for disruption of the Mtr gene, which encodes MS...
- Folate deficiency, methionine metabolism, and alcoholic liver diseaseCharles H Halsted
University of California, Davis, 95616, USA
Alcohol 27:169-72. 2002..The finding of steatonecrosis and focal inflammation only in the combined diet group supports the suggestion that folate deficiency promotes and folate sufficiency protects against the early onset of methionine cycle-mediated ALD...
- Homocysteine-lowering vitamins do not lower plasma S-adenosylhomocysteine in older people with elevated homocysteine concentrationsTimothy J Green
Food, Nutrition, and Health, University of British Columbia, Vancouver, BC, Canada
Br J Nutr 103:1629-34. 2010..If elevated plasma AdoHcy is detrimental, this may explain why B-vitamins have generally failed to reduce vascular events in clinical trials...
- Effect of Mthfr genotype on diet-induced hyperhomocysteinemia and vascular function in miceAngela M Devlin
Department of Internal Medicine, University of Iowa Carver College of Medicine, Iowa City 52242, USA
Blood 103:2624-9. 2004..These findings demonstrate that the Mthfr(+/-) genotype sensitizes mice to diet-induced hyperhomocysteinemia and that hyperhomocysteinemia alters tissue methylation capacity and impairs endothelial function in cerebral microvessels...
- Altered glutathione homeostasis in heart augments cardiac lipotoxicity associated with diet-induced obesity in miceSanjoy Ghosh
Department of Pathology, University of British Columbia, Vancouver, British Columbia, V5Z 4H4, Canada
J Biol Chem 286:42483-93. 2011..This study suggests a novel role for Cbs in maintaining the cardiac glutathione pool and protecting against cardiac lipid accumulation and oxidative stress during diet-induced obesity in mice...
- Prenatal exposure to maternal depression, neonatal methylation of human glucocorticoid receptor gene (NR3C1) and infant cortisol stress responsesTim F Oberlander
Department of Pediatrics, Child and Family Research Institute, University of British Columbia, Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
Epigenetics 3:97-106. 2008....
- Interactions of ethanol and folate deficiency in development of alcoholic liver disease in the micropigCharles H Halsted
University of California, Davis, California and National Toxicological Research Center, Jefferson, Arkansas, USA
Trans Am Clin Climatol Assoc 113:151-62; discussion 162-3. 2002..Thus, the development of ALD is linked to abnormal methionine metabolism and is accelerated in the presence of folate deficiency...
- Ethnic-specific differences in vitamin D status is associated with adiposityDian C Sulistyoningrum
Department of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine, University of British Columbia, Child and Family Research Institute, Vancouver, Canada
PLoS ONE 7:e43159. 2012..The objective of this study is to investigate the relationship between plasma 25(OH)D, adiposity, and body fat distribution in Europeans and South Asians...
- Evaluation of genetic variants in the reduced folate carrier and in glutamate carboxypeptidase II for spina bifida riskIsabelle Morin
Departments of Pediatrics and Human Genetics, McGill University, Montreal Children s Hospital Research Institute, 4060 Ste Catherine West, Room 200, Montreal, Canada H3Z 2Z3
Mol Genet Metab 79:197-200. 2003....
- ApoA-I: a missing link between homocysteine and lipid metabolism?Angela M Devlin
Circ Res 98:431-3. 2006