C L E Dennis
Affiliation: University of Toronto
- Dennis C, Ross L. Women's perceptions of partner support and conflict in the development of postpartum depressive symptoms. J Adv Nurs. 2006;56:588-99 pubmed..Partners should also be encouraged to participate actively in household tasks and infant care activities to protect the mother from becoming overwhelmed. ..
- Dennis C, Ross L. Depressive symptomatology in the immediate postnatal period: identifying maternal characteristics related to true- and false-positive screening scores. Can J Psychiatry. 2006;51:265-73 pubmed
- Dennis C, Coghlan M, Vigod S. Can we identify mothers at-risk for postpartum anxiety in the immediate postpartum period using the State-Trait Anxiety Inventory?. J Affect Disord. 2013;150:1217-20 pubmed publisher..A cut-off score of >40 on the STAI administered early in the postpartum period is recommended in a 2-phase identification program in order to not miss mothers with postpartum anxiety. ..
- Dennis C, Kingston D. A systematic review of telephone support for women during pregnancy and the early postpartum period. J Obstet Gynecol Neonatal Nurs. 2008;37:301-14 pubmed publisher..No telephone interventions were effective in improving preterm birth or smoking cessation rates. Additional research is encouraged. ..
- Dennis C, Merry L, Stewart D, Gagnon A. Prevalence, continuation, and identification of postpartum depressive symptomatology among refugee, asylum-seeking, non-refugee immigrant, and Canadian-born women: results from a prospective cohort study. Arch Womens Ment Health. 2016;19:959-967 pubmed publisher
- Dennis C, Falah Hassani K, Shiri R. Prevalence of antenatal and postnatal anxiety: systematic review and meta-analysis. Br J Psychiatry. 2017;210:315-323 pubmed publisher..Rates were higher in low- to middle-income countries.ConclusionsResults suggest perinatal anxiety is highly prevalent and merits clinical attention. Research is warranted to develop evidence-based interventions. ..
- Dennis C, Brennenstuhl S, Wanigaratne S, Brown H, Grigoriadis S, Marini F, et al. Unique trajectories of anxiety among Chinese-Canadian women across the first postpartum year: A longitudinal cohort study. J Affect Disord. 2018;230:71-76 pubmed publisher..We identified three subtypes of postpartum anxiety trajectories. These groups of women may respond differently to interventions due to exposure to various combinations of risk factors. ..
- Dennis C, Schottle N, Hodnett E, McQueen K. An all-purpose nipple ointment versus lanolin in treating painful damaged nipples in breastfeeding women: a randomized controlled trial. Breastfeed Med. 2012;7:473-9 pubmed publisher..Results suggest that APNO is not superior to lanolin in treating painful, damaged nipples. ..
- Dennis C, Dowswell T. Psychosocial and psychological interventions for preventing postpartum depression. Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2013;:CD001134 pubmed publisher..Promising interventions include the provision of intensive, professionally-based postpartum home visits, telephone-based peer support, and interpersonal psychotherapy. ..
- Vigod S, Hussain Shamsy N, Grigoriadis S, Howard L, Metcalfe K, Oberlander T, et al. A patient decision aid for antidepressant use in pregnancy: study protocol for a randomized controlled trial. Trials. 2016;17:110 pubmed publisher..This trial is registered on ClinicalTrials.Gov under the identifier NCT02308592 (first registered: 2 December 2014). ..
- Dennis C, Brown H, Falah Hassani K, Marini F, Vigod S. Identifying women at risk for sustained postpartum anxiety. J Affect Disord. 2017;213:131-137 pubmed publisher..These factors may also be potential targets for individual or couples therapy to treat postpartum anxiety. ..
- Dennis C, Brown H, Wanigaratne S, Vigod S, Grigoriadis S, Fung K, et al. Determinants of comorbid depression and anxiety postnatally: A longitudinal cohort study of Chinese-Canadian women. J Affect Disord. 2018;227:24-30 pubmed publisher..The factors identified herein offer insight into groups of Chinese-Canadian women who might benefit most from early identification and treatment and suggest targets for prevention. ..