Genomes and Genes
Affiliation: University of British Columbia
- Identification of susceptibility genes for cancer in a genome-wide scan: results from the colon neoplasia sibling studyDenise Daley
Department of Epidemiology and Biostatistics, University Hospitals of Cleveland Case Western Reserve University, Cleveland, OH 44106, USA
Am J Hum Genet 82:723-36. 2008..3 at marker D17S1308 in the breast/colon subgroup identified HIC1 as a candidate gene. We demonstrated that using clinical information, unaffected siblings, and family history can increase the analytical power of a linkage study...
- Path: a tool to facilitate pathway-based genetic association analysisDavid Zamar
James Hogg iCAPTURE Center, University of British Columbia UBC, Vancouver, BC, Canada
Bioinformatics 25:2444-6. 2009....
- Asthma and genes encoding components of the vitamin D pathwayYohan Bosse
Institut Universitaire de Cardiologie et de Pneumologie de Quebec, Canada
Respir Res 10:98. 2009..Genetic variants at the vitamin D receptor (VDR) locus are associated with asthma and atopy. We hypothesized that polymorphisms in other genes of the vitamin D pathway are associated with asthma or atopy...
- Approaches to the study of inflammatory gene haplotypes and susceptibility to cardiac, vascular and pulmonary diseasesDenise Daley
The James Hogg iCAPTURE Centre for Cardiovascular and Pulmonary Research, University of British Columbia, St Paul s Hospital, 1081 Burrard Street, Vancouver, BC V6Z 1Y6, Canada
Curr Opin Mol Ther 7:226-33. 2005..Applied and methodological fields are discussed and examples of how haplotypes are used to study complex diseases in this modern era are provided...
- Is TGFBR1*6A a susceptibility allele for nonsyndromic familial colorectal neoplasia?Denise Daley
Department of Epidemiology, University Hospitals of Cleveland Case Western Reserve University and Howard Hughes Medical Institute, and Cleveland, Ohio, USA
Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev 16:892-4. 2007..We conclude that there remains an unidentified susceptibility locus in the region 9q22.2-31.2...
- Analyses of associations with asthma in four asthma population samples from Canada and AustraliaDenise Daley
James Hogg iCAPTURE Center, University of British Columbia UBC, 1081 Burrard Street, Vancouver, BC, V6Z 1Y6, Canada
Hum Genet 125:445-59. 2009..To aid in future replication studies of asthma genes a comprehensive database was compiled and is available to the scientific community at http://genapha.icapture.ubc.ca/...
- Non-Hodgkin lymphoma risk and variants in genes controlling lymphocyte developmentJohanna M Schuetz
Canada s Michael Smith Genome Sciences Centre, BC Cancer Agency, Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
PLoS ONE 8:e75170. 2013..It is likely that moderate sample size, inter-subtype and other genetic heterogeneity, and small true effect sizes account for the lack of replicable findings. ..
- Associations and interactions of genetic polymorphisms in innate immunity genes with early viral infections and susceptibility to asthma and asthma-related phenotypesDenise Daley
University of British Columbia James Hogg Research Centre, Institute for Heart and Lung Health, Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
J Allergy Clin Immunol 130:1284-93. 2012..The innate immune system is essential for host survival because of its ability to recognize invading pathogens and mount defensive responses...
- A subset of familial colorectal neoplasia kindreds linked to chromosome 9q22.2-31.2Georgia L Wiesner
Department of Genetics, Center for Human Genetics, Ireland Comprehensive Cancer Center, Case Western Reserve University and University Hospitals of Cleveland, Cleveland, OH 44106, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 100:12961-5. 2003..2-31.2 in a pattern consistent with autosomal dominant disease alleles. These data suggest that a single locus can contribute to disease susceptibility in a subset of patients with nonsyndromic forms of familial colorectal neoplasia...
- Lack of association of TIM3 polymorphisms and allergic phenotypesJian Zhang
James Hogg iCAPTURE Center for Cardiovascular and Pulmonary Research, St, Paul s Hospital, Vancouver, BC, Canada
BMC Med Genet 10:62. 2009..The aims of this study were to examine whether genetic variation in the promoter region of TIM3 influenced transcription of the gene and risk for allergic phenotypes...
- A thymic stromal lymphopoietin gene variant is associated with asthma and airway hyperresponsivenessJian Qing He
James Hogg Imaging, Cell Analysis, and Phenotyping Toward Understanding Responsive, Reparative, Remodelling, and Recombinant Events iCAPTURE Centre, University of British Columbia, Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
J Allergy Clin Immunol 124:222-9. 2009..Association of genetic variation in thymic stromal lymphopoietin with IgE levels has been reported for human subjects...
- Genetic variation in cell death genes and risk of non-Hodgkin lymphomaJohanna M Schuetz
Canada s Michael Smith Genome Sciences Centre, BC Cancer Agency, Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
PLoS ONE 7:e31560. 2012..Poor control of cell death in lymphocytes can lead to autoimmune disease or cancer, making genes involved in programmed cell death of lymphocytes logical candidate genes for lymphoma susceptibility...
- SLIMS--a user-friendly sample operations and inventory management system for genotyping labsThea Van Rossum
James Hogg iCAPTURE Center, University of British Columbia UBC, Vancouver, BC, Canada V6Z1Y6
Bioinformatics 26:1808-10. 2010..SLIMS gives labs a feasible alternative that is easily accessible, user-centrically designed and feature-rich. To facilitate system customization, and utilization for other groups, manuals have been written for users and developers...
- BRISK--research-oriented storage kit for biology-related dataAlan Tan
James Hogg iCAPTURE Center, Department of Medicine, University of British Columbia, Vancouver, BC, Canada V6Z1Y6
Bioinformatics 27:2422-5. 2011..Inefficient methods of data transfer and access control still plague research collaboration. As science becomes more and more collaborative in nature, the need for a system that adequately manages data sharing becomes paramount...
- Functional genetic variation in NFKBIA and susceptibility to childhood asthma, bronchiolitis, and bronchopulmonary dysplasiaSalman Ali
Department of Pediatrics, British Columbia Children s Hospital and Child and Family Research Institute, University of British Columbia, Vancouver, British Columbia V6H 3V4, Canada
J Immunol 190:3949-58. 2013....
- The identification of colon cancer susceptibility genes by using genome-wide scansDenise Daley
Department of Medicine, St Paul s Hospital, University of British Columbia, Vancouver, BC, Canada
Methods Mol Biol 653:3-21. 2010..Study design considerations, methodology, and the execution of linkage and genome-wide association studies that use both family and case-control designs are covered in this chapter...
- Interaction of gender and body mass index (BMI) reveals evidence of linkage for hypertension in the Framingham Heart StudyDenise Daley
Department of Epidemiology and Biostatistics, Rammelkamp Center for Education and Research, MetroHealth Campus, Case Western Reserve University, Cleveland, Ohio, USA
BMC Genet 4:S45. 2003..Incorporation of covariates, in particular the interaction between two independent risk factors (gender and BMI) greatly improved our ability to detect linkage...
- The relationship between telomere length and mortality in chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD)Jee Lee
The Providence Heart and Lung Institute at St Paul s Hospital, The UBC James Hogg Research Centre and Department of Medicine, The University of British Columbia, Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
PLoS ONE 7:e35567. 2012..In conclusion, COPD patients have short leukocyte telomeres, which are in turn associated increased risk of total and cancer mortality. Accelerated aging is of particular relevance to cancer mortality in COPD...
- TLR5 as an anti-inflammatory target and modifier gene in cystic fibrosisChristoph J Blohmke
Department of Paediatrics, BC Children s Hospital and Child and Family Research Institute, University of British Columbia, Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
J Immunol 185:7731-8. 2010....
- Rare and common variants in the Apolipoprotein E gene in healthy oldest oldLauren C Tindale
Canada s Michael Smith Genome Sciences Centre, BC Cancer Agency, Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada Department of Biomedical Physiology and Kinesiology, Simon Fraser University, Burnaby, British Columbia, Canada
Neurobiol Aging 35:727.e1-3. 2014..Our findings were consistent with ε4 being a risk factor for early mortality...
- Cost-effective prediction of gender-labeling errors and estimation of gender-labeling error rates in candidate-gene association studiesConghui Qu
Department of Statistics and Actuarial Science, Simon Fraser University Burnaby, BC, Canada
Front Genet 2:31. 2011..We also show how the predictions can be used in a two-phase sampling design to estimate the gender-labeling error rates for an entire study, at a fraction of the cost of a conventional design...
- A comparison of five methods for selecting tagging single-nucleotide polymorphismsKelly M Burkett
The James Hogg iCAPTURE Centre for Cardiovascular and Pulmonary Research, University of British Columbia, St Paul s Hospital, Vancouver, BC V6Z 146, Canada
BMC Genet 6:S71. 2005..Finally, when compared to the haplotypic methods, the reference method performed as well or worse in the region with ancestral disease haplotype structure...
- Association of urokinase-type plasminogen activator with asthma and atopyPhilippe Bégin
University of Montreal Community Genomic Medicine Centre, Chicoutimi University Hospital, Saguenay, Quebec, Canada
Am J Respir Crit Care Med 175:1109-16. 2007..This region has demonstrated evidence for linkage in a genome scan for asthma in a sample from northeastern Quebec. Here, we hypothesized that uPA may function as a regulator of asthma susceptibility...
- Effects of covariates: a summary of Group 5 contributionsElizabeth R Hauser
Section of Medical Genetics, Department of Medicine, Center for Human Genetics, Duke University Medical Center, Durham, North Carolina 27710, USA
Genet Epidemiol 25:S43-9. 2003..Finally, the results of Group 5 studies show that inclusion of covariates can increase the power to detect genes for complex traits, and has the potential to advance an understanding of the role of genes in these complex traits...
- Genetic variation in immune signaling genes differentially expressed in asthmatic lung tissuesKarine Tremblay
Hopital Laval, Universite Laval, Quebec, Canada
J Allergy Clin Immunol 122:529-36.e17. 2008..Eight genes in the immune signaling pathway shown to be differentially expressed in asthmatic lung biopsy specimens in a previous microarray experiment were selected as candidate genes for asthma susceptibility...