P D Chilibeck
Affiliation: University of Saskatchewan
- Higher mitochondrial fatty acid oxidation following intermittent versus continuous endurance exercise trainingP D Chilibeck
Faculty of Physical Education and Recreation, University of Alberta, Edmonton, Canada
Can J Physiol Pharmacol 76:891-4. 1998....
- The effect of strength training combined with bisphosphonate (etidronate) therapy on bone mineral, lean tissue, and fat mass in postmenopausal womenP D Chilibeck
College of Kinesiology, University of Saskatchewan, Saskatoon, SK S7N 5C2, Canada
Can J Physiol Pharmacol 80:941-50. 2002..Strength training favourably affects body composition and muscular strength, which may be important for prevention of falls...
- The effect of concurrent endurance and strength training on quantitative estimates of subsarcolemmal and intermyofibrillar mitochondriaP D Chilibeck
Faculty of Physical Education and Recreation, University of Alberta, Edmonton Alberta, Canada
Int J Sports Med 23:33-9. 2002..IMF mitochondria increase in a linear manner throughout training, while SS mitochondria undergo a preferential increase late in training. This increase late in training may be related to an increase in proportion of type I fibers...
- The effect of strength training on estimates of mitochondrial density and distribution throughout muscle fibresP D Chilibeck
Faculty of Physical Education and Recreation, University of Alberta, Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Eur J Appl Physiol Occup Physiol 80:604-9. 1999..We conclude that the muscle hypertrophy associated with strength training results in reduced density of regionally distributed mitochondria, as indicated by the reduction in the activity of SDH...
- Creatine supplementation combined with resistance training in older menM J Chrusch
College of Kinesiology, University of Saskatchewan, 105 Gymnasium Place, Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, S7N 5C2, Canada
Med Sci Sports Exerc 33:2111-7. 2001..CONCLUSION: Creatine supplementation, when combined with resistance training, increases lean tissue mass and improves leg strength, endurance, and average power in men of mean age 70 yr...
- Effect of glutamine supplementation combined with resistance training in young adultsD G Candow
College of Kinesiology, University of Saskatchewan, Saskatoon, Canada
Eur J Appl Physiol 86:142-9. 2001..7% and 3-methylhistidine by 56%. We conclude that glutamine supplementation during resistance training has no significant effect on muscle performance, body composition or muscle protein degradation in young healthy adults...
- Creatine monohydrate and resistance training increase bone mineral content and density in older menP D Chilibeck
College of Kinesiology, University of Saskatchewan, Saskatoon SK, Canada, S7N 5B2
J Nutr Health Aging 9:352-3. 2005..The increase in bone mineral content may be due to an enhanced muscle mass with creatine, with potentially greater tension on bone at sites of muscle attachment...
- Total calcium intake is associated with cortical bone mineral density in a cohort of postmenopausal women not taking estrogenY Suzuki
College of Pharmacy and Nutrition and College of Kinesiology, University of Saskatchewan, 110 Science Place, Saskatoon, SK S7N 5C9 Canada
J Nutr Health Aging 7:296-9. 2003..Increased retinol intake from nutrient supplements had no adverse effect on BMD...
- The effect of creatine monohydrate supplementation on sprint skating in ice-hockey playersS M Cornish
College of Kinesiology, University of Saskatchewan, Saskatoon SK, Canada
J Sports Med Phys Fitness 46:90-8. 2006..There were no differences between groups over time for blood lactate changes during the repeated sprints on the treadmill. CONCLUSIONS: We conclude that creatine was not effective for improving performance in these ice-hockey players...
- Muscle cross sectional area and grip torque contraction types are similarly related to pQCT derived bone strength indices in the radii of older healthy adultsA W Frank
College of Kinesiology, University of Saskatchewan, Canada
J Musculoskelet Neuronal Interact 10:136-41. 2010..Additionally we assessed variance in various grip contractions explained by MCSA...
- The effect of limited overfeeding during growth on muscle characteristics: a pig modelP D Chilibeck
Faculty of Physical Education and Recreation, Department of Agricultural, Food and Nutritional Sciences, University of Alberta, Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Eat Weight Disord 10:13-8. 2005..Limited overfeeding in rapidly growing pigs does not affect thyroid hormone status or muscle characteristics...
- The effect of whey protein supplementation with and without creatine monohydrate combined with resistance training on lean tissue mass and muscle strengthD G Burke
Department of Human Kinetics, St. Francis Xavier University, Antigonish, Nova Scotia, B2G 2W5, Canada
Int J Sport Nutr Exerc Metab 11:349-64. 2001....
- Effect of creatine supplementation during resistance training on muscle accretion in the elderlyD G Candow
Faculty of Kinesiology and Health Studies, University of Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada
J Nutr Health Aging 11:185-8. 2007..Creatine has the potential to increase cellular hydration and myogenic transcription factors and facilitate the up-regulation of muscle specific-genes such as myosin heavy chain possibly leading to muscle hypertrophy...
- The effect of 7 days of creatine supplementation on 24-hour urinary creatine excretionD G Burke
Department of Human Kinetics, St Francis Xavier University, Antigonish, Nova Scotia, Canada
J Strength Cond Res 15:59-62. 2001..Because there was no change in urinary creatinine, it can be assumed that enhanced degradation of creatine did not occur...